Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Roc 'n Rope

The DP Random Game and Magical Bird Generation Device (tm) has brought forth the timeless classic Roc 'n Rope. It gave me the Atari 2600 version but since it also came out for ColecoVision (originally), let's open this up to both.

One of the few platform games that I really like, though for that very reason I'll bet many platform gamers don't like it. No jumping, just throw the line, climb it, stun bad guys, get feathers for points, eggs for invincibility and move on. Multiple screens and in my opinion a pretty advanced game with regards to the variation of screens and bad guy routines (like the way they shake your line to try to drop you).

What did you think? Write your own mini-review here.

DP Guide sez:

Roc `n Rope (Atari 2600, by Coleco) $12/R4
    Designed by Ed English. Based on the 1983 Konami coin-op. c1983 Konami, 1984 Coleco. #2667.

Roc `n Rope (ColecoVision, by Coleco) $9/R3
    Based on the 1983 Konami coin-op. Uses both controller side buttons. c1983 Konami, 1984 Coleco. #2668.

2600 screen:

ColecoVision screen:

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy Smokes...

I've never really played a Colecovision... a freind of mine had one WAY back when, but she only had Ladybug, Gorf and Smurf Rescue.

Comparing those two screenshots... makes the 2600 look SOOO bad... man...

Where could I find a screenshot of the Arcade version just to see what they're supposed to be like... I must admit that the C-Visions graphics look washed out and pastel like... but... at least it not huge honkin' block everywhere... yeesh.

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhhhh. I see. STUN the enemies, don't RUN into the enemies. I stumbled across this game on the Konami Arcade Classics (PS) disc, and while it looked cool, it was a mystery to me how I was supposed to get through the first board. I quickly ran back to Time Pilot.

Wha? Instruction what?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    Where could I find a screenshot of the Arcade version just to see what they're supposed to be like... I must admit that the C-Visions graphics look washed out and pastel like... but... at least it not huge honkin' block everywhere... yeesh.
    I've always been a fan of this one too, but I'm at a loss to pin down exactly why. I think, in part, it's because I first saw it in action on Starcade. When I finally had a chance to play the coin-op, it was at a grocery store (of all places) so I didn't have much of a chance to really get into it.

Played the hell out of it on the ColecoVision and started to "get it" before mastering it on the PSX via the Konami disc.

I suppose, like Joe mentioned, I just enjoy the sort of randomness of the different characters, tools (rope, flashlight) and the nifty music and cartoony graphics. It's a neat 80s mixed bag of videogame fun.

Roc ON.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, who can forget Roc N Rope. This is/was one of the great cult classics that's definitely under-rated like Zoo Keeper. Personaly, finally getting the 2600 version last year was a quite a coup for me. I had the manual for years but could never find the game for some reason. While this version isn't as impressive as the others, it's another one where the 'spirit' is intact if not the graphics. (See also: Pengo 2600) The CV version is sweet & don't forget about the PSX version included with Konami Arcade Classics - that was a pleasant surprise.

- Michael

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too had forgotten this one until it showed up on PS1 Konami Arcade Classics. Took me a while to "get it," but I kinda like it now.

I want that Colecovision version now that I've seen a screen shot.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    Where could I find a screenshot of the Arcade version just to see what they're supposed to be like... I must admit that the C-Visions graphics look washed out and pastel like... but... at least it not huge honkin' block everywhere... yeesh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Never played the home versions (didn't know there were home versions) but I played this whenever my family went to a nearby laundromat to do laundry. This game would get regular play, even though I sucked at it. Interesting concept compared to other games that were out and damn challenging. Might have to fire up MAME to see if I'm still as bad as I was years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had neither seen nor heard of this game until PSX Konami Classics.

I suck at it. I think I got to the 3rd stage once. It's a really cool game due to its lack of "me-too" gameplay. I would have enjoyed the game if it had been in a local arcade back when I was a kid.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny, I just got this game in dollar grab bag of CV games at Savers this weekend. I had forgotten all about it before that, though I used to enjoy it in the arcade as a kid.

Now I just need the Colecovision! :/

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Echoing several other people here -- never heard of it until I got it with the Konami Arcade Classics PS1 game, played with it some, thought it was allright, went back to Time Pilot.

Maybe I'll give it a second look.

And yeah, that Atari version looks like someone's idea of a REALLY bad joke when compared to the other two versions. Geesh!
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too first came across this game on Konami Arcade Classics PSX
    I too was a bit puzzled by the levels especially the 3rd screen
    But I quickly figured it out, and next to Shao-Lin's Road it's my
    favorite game on that disc

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All this talk of Roc 'n Rope without a single mention of Konami's other platformer, Pandora's Palace?

It's a touch more user friendly than Roc 'n Rope... since there's no rope, you're not left as helpless when the monsters come after you. I love that fun-filled, ethnically flavored music, too... the power up theme song is like something you'd dance to at a big fat Greek wedding!

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    All this talk of Roc 'n Rope without a single mention of Konami's other platformer, Pandora's Palace?

It's a touch more user friendly than Roc 'n Rope... since there's no rope, you're not left as helpless when the monsters come after you. I love that fun-filled, ethnically flavored music, too... the power up theme song is like something you'd dance to at a big fat Greek wedding!

JR
    Right!, this game in my opinion is cooler that Rock ´n Rope...i love the music that appears when the man turns into a warrior