Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    riderkidDA
    PSN
    riderkid98

Default need a surge protecter

well the day has come where i have to rearange my room and sadly i need another surge protector since it takes a whole power strip to contain my PC alone so i need one for my systems but its my genesis SNES and NES causeing the problem. since they have those dear jesus block plugs i was wondering if anyone iknew of a decent surge protector with spaced plugs. also i need it at a low price
    I believe in a thing called DIVORCE

www.riderkid.deviantart.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Give this one a try:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BE10820...571470&sr=8-13

For a few more dollars, I would go for the 8 feet version in case you need more outlets for your other electronics.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    Give this one a try:

For a few more dollars, I would go for the 8 feet version in case you need more outlets for your other electronics.
    That is a wonderful surge protector. Mine is the 12 plug model and I have all my "wall warts" on it. It of course makes it nice and heavy.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    That is a wonderful surge protector. Mine is the 12 plug model and I have all my "wall warts" on it. It of course makes it nice and heavy.
    Any power strip is good or better. If you do not have a 'whole house' protector, then other power strips can even (in rare cases) cause house fires.

If one power strip is doing surge protection, then everything else plugged into receptacles on the same circuit have the same protection. The surge protector does same protection on both sided of its power cord. It 'protects' everything else powered by other receptacles on the same circuit.

And it does not even claim to protect from typically destructive surges. Only a 'whole house' protector can protect from typically destructive surges.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My suggestion would be to go to lowes/home depot and check out their lighting section. My surge protector was 50 bucks but has spaced for 12 items and the ports rotate to allow really big sized (nes/genesis, you get the idea) plugs to be used in 5 of the spots without it blocking any of the other ones.

Staples/office max used to carry this really awesome strip that was around 75 bucks it was very long and all of the ports rotated. In theory EVERY port could be a big box ac and it wouldn't block anything.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by westom View Post
    If one power strip is doing surge protection, then everything else plugged into receptacles on the same circuit have the same protection. The surge protector does same protection on both sided of its power cord. It 'protects' everything else powered by other receptacles on the same circuit.
    That's not even close to being truthful. If you have a surge protection on 1 outlet, the only things that will be protected from a surge is the devices plugged into the protector, not the entire circuit. I'm not sure where you got your facts, but you need to check again.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

you could look into the power squid (or something similar): http://www.powersquid.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're just looking for a cheap bargain, KMart has this Philips 7 outlet protector on clearance for $4 right now. The plug alignment would allow 4 wall warts.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SPP507.../dp/B003DUFQ7Q

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

you need to hit up places likes sears, lowes, local thrift stores and flea markets
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dra600n View Post
    That's not even close to being truthful. If you have a surge protection on 1 outlet, the only things that will be protected from a surge is the devices plugged into the protector
    Your assumptions would be true if a protector can stop, block, or absorb surges. None can. None claim to. One need only read numbers to learn.

For example, how does its 2 cm part stop what even three miles of sky could not? If that 2 cm part stops a surge, as you have claimed, then protection already inside every appliance does it better. And finally, how do those hundreds of joules absorb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? It must if a protector works as you have assumed.

What that protector really does is protection everything on all receptacles from one type of surge. If a power strip protects what is plugged into it, then the strip also protects anything on adjacent wall receptacles. One need only open it up to learn.

If you know otherwise, then post manufacturer specs that claim what you have posted. Why do protectors not even list protection in their specs? Open up a protector. The appliance connects directly to AC mains. Nothing but electrical conductors are between an appliance and AC main surges. Electrically, that protector connects same to all receptacles on that circuit.

Advertising promotes myths without numbers. Advertisers fear you might ask questions that demand numbers. Such as, how does that 2 cm part stop any destructive surges? How does its near zero (hundreds of) joules absorb destructive surges? If you really know how a protector works, then these simple questions will be answered in your next post. How to post responsibly: answers with numbers, specs and circuit descriptions.

Another problem. Without a ‘whole house’ protector, then that power strip can (in some cases) even create house fires. Best solution is one that protects even near zero (hundreds of) joules in a power strip. One ‘whole house’ protector. Sells even in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. Protects everything from all types of surges.

The power strip protector protects everything on both sides equally. Protects all nearby appliances on the same circuit.
    Last edited by westom; 05-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since when did this thread turn into an advertisement?

Riderpool asked for a surge protector that would allow for multiple wall warts because they take up way to much space. The only reason why I called it a wonderful surge protector is because it has space for six wall warts and does it's job in power fluctuations and regular surge protection.

Anyone should know that if lightning strikes and travels down the power line that a $10 $100 or even a $1000 surge protector won't save anything. That's why in every electronic manual that I've seen it says to UNPLUG your electronics when there's a lightning storm outside. Granted having a surge protector lessens the chance of your electronics from frying but does not guarantee it.

And that "whole house" thing you keep talking about, I've had multiple surge protectors, power strips and extension cords for years and I've never had any of them catch on fire during surges or power fluctuations. Not to mention I live in the number one area in America for natural disasters and lightning storms.

So it's the consumers responsibility to regulate their electronics pretty much. I think riderpool knows how to take care of his electronics as many of us on this board do.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ran into this problem with my non-Sega consoles side of the cabinet and bought a Belkin BE112230-08 12-Outlet surge protector from Amazon for less than $20. I have only bought one of the Monster brand surge protectors just to see if it helped to eliminate any line scroll on Composite signals and could not find any difference.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I have only bought one of the Monster brand surge protectors just to see if it helped to eliminate any line scroll on Composite signals and could not find any difference.
    Best power strip is a $4 one without any protector parts. They add ten cent protector parts to sell a same strip for $20 or for $80 from Monster. A profit center that provides no useful function.

A power strip must have one important feature. A 15 amp circuit breaker. Effective surge protection (for less money) means only one 'whole house' protector. Then one does not have power strip fires. As happened to Whitneyd88 on 21 Mar 2011 entitled "My house caught on fire and my tank busted":
    http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=55174
    > A plug caught fire in my room (which was plugged into a surge protecter) it was
    > caused by a power surge and caused my tank to burst.

Best power strip has a critically important 15 amp circuit breaker, wide spaces between receptacles, and no protector parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Pivot-O...797773&sr=1-20

I love this type. Each outlet can twist in one of 3 directions so you never blog outlets when you have big plugs like the NES adapter.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) riderpool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    riderkidDA
    PSN
    riderkid98

got one at the hardware section of sears for 14.99
    I believe in a thing called DIVORCE

www.riderkid.deviantart.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will want the Sega Power Strip. Obviously it will not work with non-Sega systems, but there really isn't any reason to own systems that aren't made by Sega.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    Give this one a try:

that one is garbage, I bought it once, and it would shoot sparks when you plugged stuff in it, returned it next day.

Dont skimp on surge protectors, get quality stuff.