Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardian Heroes: Xbox 360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Guardian Heroes: Xbox 360

If it's anything like the Radiant Silvergun build I got to check out I'll probably pass.

"Treasure’s action RPG meets beat ‘em up Guardian Heroes is coming to Xbox 360 this fall as an Xbox Live Arcade download. Originally released for the Sega Saturn, Guardian Heroes follows five heroes as they punch their way through the Sky Spirits. Guardian Heroes stood out since characters earned experience points for pummeling enemies and there were branching story paths. If you haven’t heard of Guardian Heroes before check out this video of the Sega Saturn version.

The Xbox Live Arcade release is a remastered version of Guardian Heroes with new high-definition graphics and battle effects. Sega also added online play, cooperative and competitive. Pick versus mode and you can join a brawl with up to 12 players. Guardian Heroes for Xbox 360 also has a time attack mode, arcade mode and an arrange mode.

Why did Sega select Guardian Heroes as a game to remaster? “Ever since we began to make Sega’s classic Dreamcast and the Mega Drive titles available for modern systems, the fan response has been overwhelming – and the demand for their favorite games has been pouring in,” said Haruki Satomi, VP of Digital Business at Sega. “Players have been clamoring for this treasured favorite from the Saturn days, and we cannot wait to show them what we have got for them.”

Anyone want to join us in clamoring for Panzer Dragoon Saga then?"

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/05...ered-graphics/
    Last edited by RCM; 05-05-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Request to edit by user.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I just bought the saturn version (again) last year.

I hope they leave the visuals intact for the most part. The 2d look to the game is what makes it so great.

Online multilayer will be nice, too. Now everybody will see where the ideas for Castle Crashers came from.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guardian Heroes is sweet. One of the best Saturn games, old school style beat-em-up like a Streets of Rage or Double Dragon or Final Fight except it has magic and leveling. Lots of fun to play with friends too.
    Radiant Silvergun is a shooter, completely different.
    I would like to see Panzer Dragoon Saga redone, but I know lots of people who don't like that game because it is too "RPG'EE" haha.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    EDIT: meant to make the title of the thread "Guardian Heroes: Xbox 360". Can the mods adjust that for me?
    Click edit then "Go Advanced".
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope this gets a PS3 or later compilation disc release. Good to see Sega paying some attention to the Saturn though!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

These screenshots have me a tad worried. Hopefully they're just WIP shots and not representative of the final product!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They look good to me especially the HUD which no longer takes up a good chunk of real estate.

My only complaint is the background. In the original they matched the sprites but here they look dark and unsaturated which clash against the bright, comic-book style sprites.
    Last edited by soloman; 05-05-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Hopefully they will remove the lag. That was a big gripe for me in the original game.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

When I bought Guardian Heroes last year I was disappointed with it. Everyone brings it up to Streets of Rage 2 or Turtles in Time level of gameplay, and in actuality I found it to be really clunky and stiff. The sprites are jagged, and while there's a lot of great features, the game just didn't tickle my fancy.

That being said, I'm glad of all games this is getting a re-release, as SEGA doesn't care about anything from the Saturn days really. This and NiGHTS are the only two games I can actually think of that were re-released from that era. This is especially good because hopefully this will bring down the demand of this title, $80 is pretty pricey for a game that's simply meh.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Wow, I'll take the jaggy sprites over that crappy filtering they're using in those screenshots. That's HIDEOUS. Where's the detail in the faces and everything else? Ick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another remake and it's not Shenmue? I'd prefer an HD rerelease of the Shenmue games, but if they want to fully remake them, Sega should create a modified Yakuza 4 graphics engine and just remake Shenmue 1 and 2 with the original gameplay and better graphics.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    When I bought Guardian Heroes last year I was disappointed with it. Everyone brings it up to Streets of Rage 2 or Turtles in Time level of gameplay, and in actuality I found it to be really clunky and stiff. The sprites are jagged, and while there's a lot of great features, the game just didn't tickle my fancy.

That being said, I'm glad of all games this is getting a re-release, as SEGA doesn't care about anything from the Saturn days really. This and NiGHTS are the only two games I can actually think of that were re-released from that era. This is especially good because hopefully this will bring down the demand of this title, $80 is pretty pricey for a game that's simply meh.
    I've owned GH since it came out, well before I was a Treasure head. It isn't their best work, but it's interesting and pretty.

There have been other Saturn titles re-released, I believe. A few on Gametap... can't remember which. Panzer Dragoon was re-released/enhanced as a Sega Ages title on PS2 in Japan (even though it might be based on the PC build). But generally, Saturn re-releases are few and far between. I think it has to do in part with messy innards of the Saturn along with the loss of source code for some games, which I believe is the case with Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I'd kill to have a version of Panzer Dragoon Zwei running on the Orta engine.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guardian Heroes wasn't exactly a looker even 15 years ago (and going back to play Mischief Makers I have to say the same thing applies) but the co-op and versus mode were the highlights. GH:HD promises online co-op and 12 player versus mode plus new multiplayer battle modes. I've already beaten this game enough times on the Saturn. Now I get to play a new 2D beat 'em up with some friends.

e: apparently the "filter" is optional and you can turn it off to see the original assets scaled. I'm trying to find a source confirming this.
    Last edited by soloman; 05-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

They doubled the player count in versus to 12? I hope co-op gets an increase as well. This game just begs for more than 2 player co-op.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They've released some game footage! Check it out HERE!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Personally if they wanna do Saturn remakes, I say do Burning Rangers. The game was over-ambitious for it's hardware but still cool in concept and play style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ooh, I'd love to see a remade Burning Rangers! They could add online co-op!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GH footage looks underwhelming, much like Radiant Silvergun. Saturn is my favorite system, but I wish a bit more went into these enhanced ports.

And yeah, a Burning Rangers remake would be fantastic. Cool concept, but clunky controls and an engine that wasn't exactly silky smooth didn't sit right with me. I've actually owned it twice for Saturn, but never again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Ooh, I'd love to see a remade Burning Rangers! They could add online co-op!
    Yes, definitely!! And let's not forget the much wanted remake of Shining Force III. I'd also love a port of Dragon Force to handhelds. NiGHTS would look gorgeous on the 3DS I imagine. Aaaah so many games!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Why is it so many of these remakes / new sequels to old popular games get covered in "dark paint"? The main difference I see between classic and new is the new one has decided to turn down the brightness.