Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision before starting ps1/ps2 collecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Decision before starting ps1/ps2 collecting.

Well I'm getting to the point were I almost caught up to my self were I left off gaming!(I quit early in the ps1 life cycle) Im really lookin forward to the first 2 resident evils and games like mk trilogy and twisted metal.

Knowing full well sooner or later I'm gonna jump on the ps2 games I never played would it be better to get the individual systems or try to find a backwards compatible ps3? Are there benefits or pitfalls either way? Any one use a ps3 as your go to for all three systems?

That I know of theres not to many actual ps3 games I want. Maybe sf4 or marvel vs capcom 3. What I would probably do is download megaman 9 & 10.

Any opinions or info would be appreciated ... Thanx as always!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 05-06-2011 at 05:31 AM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the backwards compatable ps3s aren't easy to find at a reasonable price and they will eventually break down (design flaws) its honestly better to just buy a 10$ ps1 and a 20$ ps2 then run the risk of a faulty ps3 that you'll overpay for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    the backwards compatable ps3s aren't easy to find at a reasonable price and they will eventually break down (design flaws) its honestly better to just buy a 10$ ps1 and a 20$ ps2 then run the risk of a faulty ps3 that you'll overpay for.
    I have a backward compatible PS3. What the flaw that I should be worried about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I have a backward compatible PS3. What the flaw that I should be worried about?
    That it won't last, mainly to a YLOD, which is more prone on early models than later ones. Yes, all PS3 systems will die sooner or later, but to purchase a console to play PSOne and PSTwo games...I rather purchase a cheap PSOne and PSTwo consoles separately at a fraction of what a PS3 will cost. And it will probably last longer too, so in a way, it's a better investment.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the 5501 model ps1. I've had one for 10 years or so and still works like a champ. If you are going to play your backups instead of your originals, it doesn't skip or anything on FMV's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

I've got the backwards compatible ps3, got the YLOD, paid to fix it. Its nice to have two less systems hooked up, and not having to keep track of memory cards and controllers.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd suggest just getting a PS2 Slimline, as it'll play both PS1 and PS2 games, and takes just about no space. The PS2 compatible PS3 is usually quite expensive, but it's definitely a collector's item in its own right.

One more thing, there are games the PS3 won't be able to play anyway, both PS1 and PS2. So, buy a PS2 for a handful of bucks instead.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    I'd suggest just getting a PS2 Slimline, as it'll play both PS1 and PS2 games, and takes just about no space. The PS2 compatible PS3 is usually quite expensive, but it's definitely a collector's item in its own right.

One more thing, there are games the PS3 won't be able to play anyway, both PS1 and PS2. So, buy a PS2 for a handful of bucks instead.
    And the PS2 won't play all of the PSOne games either

Seriously, just either get a PSOne and a PSTwo or just a PSTwo and call it a day.

It's not worth going up to a backwards PS3 unless you want PS3 as well and prepared to spend some moar monies on it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

IMHO, you guys are overlooking one HUGE advantage the BC PS3 has over the original consoles: The virtual memory card. I've found this to be a really nice asset, not having to fumble around with finding the right memory card for any given game I want to continue playing. This one feature is the reason why my PS1 and 2 are now pretty much collecting dust on the shelf. And I have yet to find any compatibility issues with any disc I've tried (I know they exist, but I guess I've been lucky so far!).
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

On a related note...

The PS2 Guitar Hero games have really long, unbearable load times on my PS2. Do they load any faster on the BC PS3?
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't recall any major load time on Guitar Hero PS2. Maybe they messed it up in the later games? Maybe your system is failing?

It's strange that the OPs solution to playing PS1 and PS2 games is to buy a PS3. Why not just buy a PS2? The fat PS2 systems are compatible with any game worth playing, except Tomba (I believe it locks up when loading a save).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was looking at it from the "age of the hardware" angle. I figured the backwards compatible ps3 is still "newer" there for more reliable then the ps1 or 2 . Also I wasant aware the ps2 had this ability too.

I am also interested if load times are faster with older games on the ps3. If that's the case that's a good selling point. Cutting down the amount of time waiting to go thru a door in Resident evil would be well worth the price tag.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 05-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@PapaStu: Huh, didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

@hellraiser: The older backwards compatible PS3s use hardware for running the PS2 games, but the newer ones use software emulation. And it needs to "calibrate"(so to speak) the PS2 games to fit the PS3 hardware - it's kind of like having a Windows XP game, and then you want to run it in Windows Vista or 7, and you need to use backwards compatability mode, and maybe download an extra patch, etc. So there's a lot more going on than just "newer is more reliable".

Regarding the doors in RE, I thought those play through the whole animation anyway, so there won't be much of a difference in waiting time? I'm really not sure about this though, and it's been over a decade since I played a Resident Evil game on the PlayStation. Last time I played RE was the remake on the NGQ, and there it went fluently - then again, that's a completely different(and newer) system.

In any case, I guess it depends on whether the loading time is due to the system managing the data, or if it's because of the disc reading speed(in which case). Anyway, I think it's likely that the PS3 will making loading at least a bit quicker, but I've no personal experience with this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Plus don't forget that if you are going to be playing on an HD set that PS1 and PS2 games look nice upscaled and clean with an HDMI connection. That's the reason for much of the demand on 60GB PS3's. Its basically an HD PS1 and PS2 with a built in memory card manager with no need for multitaps, extra controllers, and ability to use first party wireless controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    I am also interested if load times are faster with older games on the ps3. If that's the case that's a good selling point. Cutting down the amount of time waiting to go thru a door in Resident evil would be well worth the price tag.
    Load times on a PS3 or PS2 will be identical to the PS1. The CD speed is locked at 2x rate. There is an option to unlock the speed rate on the PS2, and there may be a similar option on the PS3, however it is incompatible with many games. For whatever reason, many PS1 games were programmed with the load time in mind, and loading the game too fast can cause errors!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I don't recall any major load time on Guitar Hero PS2. Maybe they messed it up in the later games? Maybe your system is failing?
    It might be my memory card. I need to do further testing.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're particular about your games playing EXACTLY as they're supposed to, get an original PlayStation. I do some PS1 gaming on PS2, but I try to avoid it. I hate seeing boxes around 2D objects in PS1 games on PS2, like in Castlevania: SotN and Valkyrie Profile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    It's strange that the OPs solution to playing PS1 and PS2 games is to buy a PS3. Why not just buy a PS2? The fat PS2 systems are compatible with any game worth playing, except Tomba (I believe it locks up when loading a save).
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy also freezes up at certain points such as Tournament Mode and other areas which I can't remember.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I hate seeing boxes around 2D objects in PS1 games on PS2, like in Castlevania: SotN and Valkyrie Profile.
    ?? There are really obvious boxes on some PS1 sprites? I'm foredoomed to boxed wargs...
    Spoon!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Depends on what's "really obvious" to you. They're really obvious to me. :P I can imagine some other gamers may not notice and/or care very much.