Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accessible Japanese exclusive Game Boy games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    cartman, you haven't heard of the Darius series (www.hardcoregaming101.net has an article)? The gb game in the Darius series, Sagaia, is JP (and China, but those releases are hard to track) exclusive, not a US/EU game under a different name.

Probably heard of it at some point, nothing i really remember. Looking at the pictures however i see that i've never played it.

I was comparing to the first arcade Darius, not to another gb game (there was no release of the GB Sagaia under the name Darius, though the western Genesis Darius II, a different game, is also called Sagaia). The first Darius game also had a JP only PC engine (JP tg16) version with extra levels. As someone said in a previous post, the GB Sagaia is like what Konami did with Nemesis. Similar levels and enemies from the Darius series, but with different stages and no branching paths like the original arcade Darius.
    you're right, i read it all wrong and thought that it was just a EU/US title released with a different name.

As for Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu , I was saying it was similar to a game released in the US (and not on GB in the US or EU for that matter) and that it was similar, but has features not in the previous games in the series (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Genesis/MD was based on the first Puyo Puyo. This GB game is the second one. There is also a JP only version of the first Puyo Puyo for GB, but it sucks due to slow gameplay and poor shading, things the gb b/w version of the sequel don't suffer from).
    i see.

KOF 96 wasn't released in the US, which is also why I mentioned the GB Twinbee. Maybe you should be more specific about where you are from if you have a problem with games released in EU, but not US?
    Well if a game made it to Japan and Europe, i don't consider it to be exclusive anymore.

KoF 96 is cut down quite a bit from the Neo Geo version to begin with. From what I tried of the EU one, I don't remember it being even more cut down. From what info I could find and what I tried of both, KoF 96 GB and Heat of Battle seem to be the same.
    ok.

Pop 'n Twinbee GB (though this EU name is the same as the completely different SNES game) and Twinbee Da!! are the same, yes, but that was my point. I missed the earlier post where you pointed that out, but I pointed it out to mention there are multiple versions, so I'm a bit surprised that you pointed out to me that they the same game with different names when that was exactly what I was saying. One thing worth mentioning is that the version in the Konami GB Collection removed the 2p mode from the stand alone cart versions.
    Yes but those different versions are for other platforms, right?
    In that case, it isn't all that relevant.

Anyway, I'm from the US and I don't view EU games as a generic term like "western market" since they got some games that didn't reach US and vice versa. Since GB has no PAL or NTSC signals to worry about, I'm fine with either EU or JP versions of import GB games.
    I don't see it that way. If a game was released in Japan and US, i don't consider it very exclusive (like those game only released in Japan). Besides it happened so damn often that it didn't even raise any eyebrows.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

One thing worth mentioning is that the version in the Konami GB Collection removed the 2p mode from the stand alone cart versions.
    That sucks. I had wondering if the Konami GB Collection version of "Block Game" could link with my US Quarth, and I was disappointing to find it decidedly could not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cartman, I'm not sure if English is your native language, but you misread some of my comments.

With Twinbee, I was saying the EU GB (I used GB as the abbrivation for Game Boy) version is the same as the JP version, but was renamed to the same name as the SNES version. The only version of Twinbee Da!! and Pop 'n Twinbee I mentioned that isn't on gameboy is SNES (Super Nintendo), and only to point out that the EU GB version has the same name as that version.

Imports are still imports reguardless of whether or not the are exclusive or not. EU and US are different regions, so using a generic term like "western market" for a game that didn't reach the US can be confusing to someone who didn't know it wasn't released in the US (and there are plenty of EU games that didn't reach the US and even a few that didn't come out in Japan). I know you are asking for JP exclusives.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 05-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Great thread. I just recently discovered that the gb and gbc are region free which has me excited. I was looking into the beatmania series because a guy I know got it on ps2. I was just searching about the series and discovered there is a gbc release of beatmania in japan only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0iiyFaO6o

I am going to buy it off ebay.
    Last edited by lazyhoboguy; 10-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com