Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Japanese exclusive Game Boy games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by cartman View Post
    yeah but that one is for gbc, I'm talking about original game boy only.

This series does have 2 titles on the original game boy however. But there are some rpg elements and i couldn't find out what to do.

And how did you get color on super mario land
    I didn't. All the screenshots of GB games in "color" are the either Super GameBoy pallets or the "auto coloring" of the GBC.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I didn't. All the screenshots of GB games in "color" are the either Super GameBoy pallets or the "auto coloring" of the GBC.
    could you find out the exact one for the SML? I have both the SGB and GBC and i can't remember it being like this.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A little effort? If i know nothing about the story i don't see how they can be played at all. Sure i can run around and accidently do the right thing, but what kind of gaming experience is that?

The ammount of text isn't the most important, but the fact that the game can be played without understanding it.
    I don't know Japanese, and I've played through many imported RPGs, just as countless other gamers have done. It's the strategy games and sims where it can get tricky, but a traditional RPG is usually easy peasy. If you've played a few in English, you already know the drill. You go to a town, talk to everyone, go to a dungeon, clear it, find your way to the next town, rinse and repeat. If the game is fun otherwise, it doesn't matter if you miss out on the dialogue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

could you find out the exact one for the SML? I have both the SGB and GBC and i can't remember it being like this.
    Upon bootup of a GBC with Super Mario Land inserted, press left to change the pallet to blue, or press down + B to change to yellow. Simple as that.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played a few GB imports.

-Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu is extremely good. The menus are in Japanese, but the gameplay doesn't require Japanese to play. The game itself, like other games has a bit of a learning curve for combos, but like other color matching games (or shade matching, which are actually easy to tell apart even on b/w GB) is simple to play. The game has pieces of two similar to Dr. Mario, but is combo based against a computer, no objects to destroy to complete a level, and it takes 4 pieces next to each other to make them disappear, not just horizontal and vertical.

In other words, similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (which was a localization of the original Puyo Puyo). One difference in Tsuu is that it allows for counters against the oppoents garbage, which makes things a bit more balanced.

-Sagaia. Pretty much a GB remix of Darius. No branching paths, but the gameplay is very well done. No JP text to worry about either.

-Twinbee Da! Very nice GB shmup as mentioned in previous posts. No text to worry about. Not JP exclusive since it was released as "Pop 'n Twinbee" in EU, as well as on one of the EU Konami GB Collections.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 05-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Definitely Chalvo 55.

You might have already seen this, but I made a page recommending some obscure or Japanese-only gems:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gbgems.html
    Came here to post your list It's a great list I've been slowly using as a mini shopping list

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cave Noire and Ninja Spirit haven't been mentioned.
    Ninja Spirit especially, is damned awesome.
    There's quite a few others... Burning Paper is brilliant too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X or Ekkusu is a 3D game by Argonaut that is totally playable without Japanese knowledge. It looks really cool as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjU4...eature=related

I second Sagaia. It is a nice little version of Darius for the GB that is downsized in a way that reminds me of Konami's early output on the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3ud...eature=related
    Last edited by klausien; 05-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nettou Samurai Spirits: Zankuro Musouken (Samurai Spirits) was Jap exclusive... probably best beat em up on the console imo. Huge sprites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

that would be "Daiku no Gen-san: Robot Teikoku no Yabou", right?
    I think that's a sequel. Lesser known GB games can be rather annoying to track down, even if inexpensive when found.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Gameboy Color games count, Magical Chase GB is an extremely accessible, fun and impressive Japanese exclusive-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSZ7gVj4N4

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    I second Sagaia. It is a nice little version of Darius for the GB that is downsized in a way that reminds me of Konami's early output on the system.
    It's a good game, but it should be mentioned that it's not a Japanese exclusive. I personally have a Chinese version.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KOF '96
    Real Bout Fatal Fury

Both decent fighters with surprisingly excellent controls for the gameboy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    I have played a few GB imports.

-Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu is extremely good. The menus are in Japanese, but the gameplay doesn't require Japanese to play. The game itself, like other games has a bit of a learning curve for combos, but like other color matching games (or shade matching, which are actually easy to tell apart even on b/w GB) is simple to play. The game has pieces of two similar to Dr. Mario, but is combo based against a computer, no objects to destroy to complete a level, and it takes 4 pieces next to each other to make them disappear, not just horizontal and vertical.

great addition.

In other words, similar to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (which was a localization of the original Puyo Puyo). One difference in Tsuu is that it allows for counters against the oppoents garbage, which makes things a bit more balanced.

-Sagaia. Pretty much a GB remix of Darius. No branching paths, but the gameplay is very well done. No JP text to worry about either.
    If it's just a different name, well that takes the edge of it...

-Twinbee Da! Very nice GB shmup as mentioned in previous posts. No text to worry about. Not JP exclusive since it was released as "Pop 'n Twinbee" in EU, as well as on one of the EU Konami GB Collections.
    same as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperwitz View Post
    Cave Noire and Ninja Spirit haven't been mentioned.
    Ninja Spirit especially, is damned awesome.
    There's quite a few others... Burning Paper is brilliant too.
    good job. is it your channel?

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I think that's a sequel. Lesser known GB games can be rather annoying to track down, even if inexpensive when found.
    well there are only two games from this series, and this one was Japan exclusive. So i assume you meant it

X or Ekkusu is a 3D game by Argonaut that is totally playable without Japanese knowledge. It looks really cool as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjU4...eature=related
    i would say it looks pretty boring. But it can be played without Japanese and that's what's important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3ud...eature=related
    So how does it differ exactly from it's Western predecessor?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperwitz View Post
    Nettou Samurai Spirits: Zankuro Musouken (Samurai Spirits) was Jap exclusive... probably best beat em up on the console imo. Huge sprites.
    good find

Quote Originally Posted by csgx1 View Post
    KOF '96
    Real Bout Fatal Fury

"Netto the king of fighters 96" was released in the West under the name "The King of Fighters: Heat of Battle". Altough it was shorterned down quite extenstively i see, so it does count imo.

good finds.

Quote Originally Posted by csgx1 View Post
    KOF '96
    Real Bout Fatal Fury

KOF '96 was released in for the Western market, called KOF: heat of battle. However it was severly cut down, so the Japanese one could count as a stand alone title imo.
    Last edited by punkoffgirl; 05-15-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Please read a thread before hitting reply. No need for a half dozen post from the same person in a row.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't know how to do those multiple quotes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't know how to do those multiple quotes.
    That's what the "multiquote" button at the bottom of each post is. You click it on each of the posts you want to quote. For now, I'll see if I can merge all your posts together.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl View Post
    That's what the "multiquote" button at the bottom of each post is. You click it on each of the posts you want to quote. For now, I'll see if I can merge all your posts together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mach Go Go Go

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cartman, you haven't heard of the Darius series (www.hardcoregaming101.net has an article)? The gb game in the Darius series, Sagaia, is JP (and China, but those releases are hard to track) exclusive, not a US/EU game under a different name.

I was comparing to the first arcade Darius, not to another gb game (there was no release of the GB Sagaia under the name Darius, though the western Genesis Darius II, a different game, is also called Sagaia). The first Darius game also had a JP only PC engine (JP tg16) version with extra levels. As someone said in a previous post, the GB Sagaia is like what Konami did with Nemesis. Similar levels and enemies from the Darius series, but with different stages and no branching paths like the original arcade Darius.

As for Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu, I was saying it was similar to a game released in the US (and not on GB in the US or EU for that matter) and that it was similar, but has features not in the previous games in the series (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Genesis/MD was based on the first Puyo Puyo. This GB game is the second one. There is also a JP only version of the first Puyo Puyo for GB, but it sucks due to slow gameplay and poor shading, things the gb b/w version of the sequel don't suffer from).

KOF 96 wasn't released in the US, which is also why I mentioned the GB Twinbee. Maybe you should be more specific about where you are from if you have a problem with games released in EU, but not US?

KoF 96 is cut down quite a bit from the Neo Geo version to begin with. From what I tried of the EU one, I don't remember it being even more cut down. From what info I could find and what I tried of both, KoF 96 GB and Heat of Battle seem to be the same.

Pop 'n Twinbee GB (though this EU name is the same as the completely different SNES game) and Twinbee Da!! are the same, yes, but that was my point. I missed the earlier post where you pointed that out, but I pointed it out to mention there are multiple versions, so I'm a bit surprised that you pointed out to me that they the same game with different names when that was exactly what I was saying. One thing worth mentioning is that the version in the Konami GB Collection removed the 2p mode from the stand alone cart versions.

Anyway, I'm from the US and I don't view EU games as a generic term like "western market" since they got some games that didn't reach US and vice versa. Since GB has no PAL or NTSC signals to worry about, I'm fine with either EU or JP versions of import GB games.
    Last edited by Brianvgplayer; 05-16-2011 at 04:33 AM.