Thread: Star Control II

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Star Control II

Does anybody else remember playing this game? It was by Accolade. I remember playing this all the time back in the 90's. I even had some sort of cheat I recall giving me extra money and upgrading my ship. Good times.

I randomly thought of this game the other day for whatever reason...(after last playing it probably 15 years ago) Fond memories. Figured this would be a good spot to inquire about it, see if anybody else remembers it, or played it...

Wikipedia Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control_II

I apologize in advance if this has already been a topic.

-Sneak

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oh yes. I think I rented it when it came out and my mom and I were playing on the old front-projection Sony big screen. Never got into the "campaign" mode but played the PvP mode. Best memory was when we both picked Ur-Quan(?-the ones with the big ship that carried fighters) and both of us were sending ships at one another. All you heard was "launch figh...launch figh.....launch fight.....launch fighter." We were cracking up.

I do have it as part of my collection but every time I played it I didn't have fun. Eh...tastes change I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

AWESOME game. Played the crap out of PVP on the 3DO. Amazing, Deep, and hands town top game on the system. Holy Cow they need to remake this game.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I played that game to death. I think the first time through I ran into the time limit, which sucked. Finished it at some point on another play though, and later someone released a patch that took off the time limit, which was cool cause then you really had time to do everything.

Played a lot of the melee with a friend on the old Aptiva my family had, and I had one friend with a 3DO and played melee on that, too. I got pretty good. Loved the Earth Shuttle and the "bubble ship" (can't remember the name). These two were necessary for taking on the Ur-Quan ships, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Beat me to it. I see you posting all over the forums over there, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I've actually been playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time since last week. Stopped at right about the end game due to the fact I've been pretty busy for a few days now, but I plan on getting back to it very soon. Easily one of the best exploration games and RPGs I've played, right up there with the Starflights.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is indeed precious little point to buying the game on GOG.com when the Ur-Quan Masters is genuinely free and legal, and significantly advanced over the PC original, to boot.

One of these days I'll get around to taking a swing at it. (Maybe they'll have done something exceptionally interesting with the source code by then.) Back in high school we had some great fun with the ol' two-player Melee mode; Hyper Melee in SCIII isn't half bad either, regardless of how badly the rest of the game might have fared.

I may also suggest Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, which is also free now and has been compared favorably to SCII, though the combat quite sucks.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    There is indeed precious little point to buying the game on GOG.com when the Ur-Quan Masters is genuinely free and legal, and significantly advanced over the PC original, to boot.
    Well except for the part where the first game is included in a purchase of the Good Old Games bundle whereas the Ur-Quan Masters only includes the second game.

But as I posted in this thread, I have played the game, and to quote my post:

The only serious, large note-making endeavor that I've undertaken is with Star Control 2 (The Ur Quan Masters).

Now in this day and age of the Information Superhighway, you can find an ungainly amount of information about games. But that is not the joy of The Ur Quan Masters. To get that sense of being a star ship captain and exploring the unknown, I kept a log of all the important information needed in that game. You will get nowhere in UQM if you do not.

Things to be tracked include information like star system coordinates, types of stars likely to contain rich deposits of lucrative elements, locations of enemies throughout the galaxy, who is allied with whom, who are enemies with whom and why, and comments and hints gained from conversations with alien races.

Star Control 2 / The Ur Quan Masters is so enormous that I can guarantee the odds of playing an identical run-through as someone else are very small indeed. Well worth a play-through, either with the 3DO or PC original, or with the enhanced free modern version (UQM).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Glitch695's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shameless plug, but our last Podcast was about the Star Control series...

http://wellversedintheclassics.blogspot.com/

And yes, 2 is certainly the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haylookit! By some bizarre coincidence, after four years, the major update that is UQM 0.7 has been released!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I played that game to death. I think the first time through I ran into the time limit, which sucked. Finished it at some point on another play though, and later someone released a patch that took off the time limit, which was cool cause then you really had time to do everything.
    There's a patch!!!??? Yeah, I spent hours just exploring the planets and then it kept telling me that I was losing contact with certain species (Kohr-Ah? were killing them). What a buzz kill. I could have done the exploration/mining thing all day long. I will definitely google that patch. Insanely sweet game except for the time limit. I play it on my phone now with Ur Quan Masters for Android.
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)