Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

Default PS2 wireless controller help

I'm looking for a decent PS2 wireless controller. Preferably one that is rechargeable and decently close in build and function to the original PS2 controller. Did Sony manufacture anything like that? I searched around on google for a while, but didn't really turn up anything very promising.

Anyone here have any suggestions or opinions on wireless controllers they've used?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have these 2 and love them. Never given me any problems both have a great feel:

http://www.amazon.com/Officially-Lic.../dp/B000YJCANM

http://www.gadgetsnews.co.uk/post/20...ontroller.aspx

I'd stay away from the older 'batwing' style Logitech controllers. I had one of those and it always had issues connecting to the wireless receiver and plus one of the analog sticks totally crapped out.. The re-design I linked to is 100% better but they're impossible to find for some reason. I lucked out and got mine new from Goodwill a few years ago.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've heard good things about those Katana controllers.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Here's the quick and messy summary:

There are 4 different models of the Logitech PS2 wireless controllers. The first model (2002) was the one to stay away from...

The second model (2004) had quite a few improvements (2.4GHz, improved grip, less-sticky buttons). Here's the silver version I have (it also came in white or black)...

The third version (2006) is pretty similar, but Logitech got a little cheaper with the materials. Still highly recommended. I got a few of them back when Amazon was blowing them out for $11. I see they go for $50+ on Amazon sellers and eBay. Still completely worth it IMO. Best 3rd party controller I've ever used. The original Xbox version isn't too shabby either.

The 4th version (2008) I have no experience with. All my 2nd versions still work perfectly. I haven't even taken my 3rd versions out of the packaging after 3 years.

"One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll chime in on the model 2 and model 3 logitechs. I prefer the model 2 as well...but those are all I use for PS2 gaming. Easily the best PS2 wireless controller out there.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

this is the only wireless ps2 controller i've ever used, it was made mainly with racing games in mind, it sort of works like the six axix, that center block acts as a swivel sort of, and you can choose to turn the car by compressing and expanding the outer parts, it sounds wierder than it is, but essentially it works like a sixaxis steering wheel, if i wanted to turn right i would push in the right part of the controller towards the center, it really does come close to achieving a wireless steering wheel feeling

also the top of the controller has programmable triggers just beneath the l2 and r2 buttons, these help me alot in playing yakuza 2 and midnight club 2, the build quality is pretty good, but the face buttons can sometimes stick, the dpad which is supposed to allow u higher precision when moving diagnolly fucking sucks, it kind of makes it more difficult due to how close those little balls are to the main d pad

but overall i'd say im happy, takes 3 batteries and it can also be charged using a plug in wire it comes with
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have the 3rd Logitech revision and would recommend the Force 2 Katana officially licensed controllers over it any day. Far sturdier, better feel, and more durable than the fragile Logitech offerings that seem prone to such things as button failures.

It's basically a wireless Dual Shock 2 controller. Very similar feel and quality.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-11-2011 at 02:03 AM.