Thread: Chip Maestro - Conduct NES Music, MIDI-Style!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Chip Maestro - Conduct NES Music, MIDI-Style!

Looks like the heckuva popular new NES cartridge + software + hardware hack called the Chip Maestro is off to a fantastic start as it has already gained backing from over 50 people who want to buy the thing, resulting in over 3000 dollars already paid toward the maker's way.

So how's it work? Check the link above for a demonstration video, but the gist of it is using computer software or a standalone piece of MIDI hardware (keyboard, etc.) to control the NES and directly create your own chiptunes without emulators. Sounds pretty good too, whether they are free-styling it or using some pre-made sheet music/MIDI tracks like the music from the Zelda or Mega Man series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

That's friggin awesome. If I were into synth stuff I'd totally pick one up.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Kickstarter is going to be the death of me.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pretty damn cool. Didn't know about KickStarter.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ummm.... Doesn't this already exist? It's called MidiNES. Unless I'm missing something both MidiNES and Chip Maestro do the same thing: Allow you to control your NES's audio capabilities via MIDI.

Also, Gashisoft's free program, GXSCC emulates the NES sound chip playing a MIDI file of your choice. Not exactly on the original hardware but good if you don't want to spend 2k monies on a special cart, or spend a lot of time making one.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 05-11-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

@Ryaan1234: I can see two reasons why people are excited about this new one: first, the thing costs only $50 including shipping, where the other older one is $110 plus $12 shipping; second, while emulators are good and sometimes even sound exactly like the original, as a game player and collector you should know that there is nothing like playing on the real thing.

Besides, I imagine a lot of these are being sold as performance pieces; the audience would think it is much more impressive and cool to see someone on stage playing live music using a real NES, like the one from its childhood, than some software without a physical presence.

And the label is awesome.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The MIDINES has way better packaging / graphic design, but this one is half price and hopefully shorter waiting times to get your hands on it after they get this produced.

I am interested to see a full feature comparison between the two before deciding which one to go with.

I know the MidiNES can do some pretty cool visualizations which the Maestro can't.

Overall, a cool project though!

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    @Ryaan1234: I can see two reasons why people are excited about this new one: first, the thing costs only $50 including shipping, where the other older one is $110 plus $12 shipping
    I know, I just wanted to point out that there's already one of these out there in existance. I wasn't trying to say it was better or anything (although that remains to be seen). In fact I'm considering backing this guy at the $50 level because I've been wanting a cartridge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    second, while emulators are good and sometimes even sound exactly like the original, as a game player and collector you should know that there is nothing like playing on the real thing.
    Again, I just wanted to point out the emulator for someone who doesn't want to spend $50 OR $110 on an NES MIDI cart. It may be just an emulator but it's free.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 05-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

So what you're saying is... calm the beef min? I gotcha, and thanks for the info.

132 Backers
    $7,362 pledged of $1,150 goal
    25 days to go
    Holy crackers, that thing has skyrocketed in the past few days! I don't know how much of the difference is due to me posting here, but I feel like I helped make this project a success.