Thread: Tetris documentary is titled 'Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters' and here's the tr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Tetris documentary is titled 'Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters' and here's the tr

What's more fun than playing Tetris? Watching other people play Tetris of course!

While that statement doesn't necessary hold true as a rule, it does when you're watching Tetris world champs. Cut from the same cloth as crossword and Scrabble documentaries Wordplay and Word Wars, the unfortunately named Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters follows a handful of world-class Tetris players as they prepare for, and participate in, the Classic Tetris World Championship.

The full movie won't be available until 2012 but, until then, you can watch the trailer we've embedded after the break. Oh, also embedded below: a poll, so you can register your opinion on that title. View Poll

Continue reading Tetris documentary is titled 'Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters' andÂ*here's the trailer to prove it

Tetris documentary is titled 'Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters' andÂ*here's the trailer to prove it originally appeared on Joystiq on Thu, 12 May 2011 01:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DP ServBot View Post
    ...the unfortunately named Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters ...
    I like the name- a good bit actually.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

This looks awesome! As a big fan of King of Kong as well as Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade (Which I just finished watching today actually) I'm looking very forward to this! The name is pretty good too, I must say, I like From Russia With Fun: The Tetris Masters is probably the best out of those poll choices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I finally saw this today. It's a nice movie. The people involved are modest and not presented as any larger than life. There is a rather satisfying buildup around Thor Aackerlund, but he too has his story. They don't go into how working with Camerica ruined his relationship with Nintendo, but there's really no need for that. Nor is there any discussion of the whole licensing nightmare, but that story is also told elsewhere. I was very confused at first why there was such an exclusive focus on NES Tetris – early on, there's a map of the world's top Tetris players that consists solely of a map of the USA, which seems brazenly unfair – but the reasoning there also becomes clear enough, and Tengen Tetris and Tetris the Grand Master do put in an appearance eventually too.

The only thing that I think was really missing was some of the technical details behind NES Tetris, which have been thoroughly dissected at this point. The "vibrating thumb" trick is often discussed, but I was hungry for some more background about why it works the way it does.

Also, it was only at the credits that I was finally satisfied that "Robin Mihara" was definitely not "Rob O'Hara".
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

This a great documentary and totally recommend picking it up. We showed this movie (final version) before our last Cowlitz Gamers for Kids show last year and it rocked. My wife and I have a very small cameo in the movie, as well as footage from the first Cowlitz Gamers for Kids. One thing that I like about this videogame documentary is that it can be enjoyed by anyone who remembers playing tetris on the NES back in the day.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist