Thread: Using Yahoo Auctions for Japanese Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Using Yahoo Auctions for Japanese Games

I hear Yahoo Auctions Japan get brought up a lot when collecting for PCE or JPN Saturn games. I've never checked it out myself, is it worth checking out? I'm looking to beef up my Saturn collection during the next couple of months. Is it a better choice than eBay, or is it simply another source?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

From what I hear, it requires a paid Yahoo account, and unless you live in Japan you (pretty much?) can't buy anything.
    So, you'd need to find a proxy bidding service, which means paying a fee on top of the actual auction+shipping. It can also be expensive shipping each one, unless you have one that allows you to store a ton of items and then ship them all at once.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    From what I hear, it requires a paid Yahoo account, and unless you live in Japan you (pretty much?) can't buy anything.
    So, you'd need to find a proxy bidding service, which means paying a fee on top of the actual auction+shipping. It can also be expensive shipping each one, unless you have one that allows you to store a ton of items and then ship them all at once.
    I have actually used a proxy service over the years and you are correct that it adds up quickly and you have to pay shipping to the service within Japan and then to the US. For low to moderate cost individual games, it is not worth it at all. If you buy larger lots or very expensive rarer items, it can be a good way to go.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

search for previous posts about this. Yes its great to use, bad if you dont have a japanese contact and have to go through a service. You can make an account on YJ, but it costs money and absolutely nobody on there will ship outside of Japan. Best/Cheapest service around is fromjapan.co.jp
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 05-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    search for previous posts about this. Yes its great to use, bad if you dont have a japanese contact and have to go through a service. You can make an account on YJ, but it costs money and absolutely nobody on there will ship outside of Japan. Best/Cheapest service around is fromjapan.co.jp
    I should have done a search, you're right. Sorry about that guys.

In any case, thanks for the responses. Why is fromjapan.co.jp good, by the way? I'm unfamiliar with it as well. Are they a site that bids on the Yahoo Japan auctions for you?