Thread: Anyone download Sega Rally Online?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone download Sega Rally Online?

Unfortunately my Xbox 360S is being repaired by M$, so I'll have to sit this one out for a few weeks. I've heard SRO is largely based on Sega Rally 3, which is really exciting. SR3 looks like Revo, but runs at 60FPS without the cool Revo physics. I played it in between a shoot in Florida last year and fell in love.

Anyone download this, and if so, what do you think?
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be getting it later tonight. I hated the controls in Revo but it sounds like they fixed them in this. And only 800 points?? The game should sell like crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I'll be getting it later tonight. I hated the controls in Revo but it sounds like they fixed them in this. And only 800 points?? The game should sell like crazy.
    Did you download the patch for Revo? It significantly improves the control issues.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I'm downloading the trial right now. Hopefully it's way better than Revo. Revo was absolutely awful to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat View Post
    I'm downloading the trial right now. Hopefully it's way better than Revo. Revo was absolutely awful to play.
    The demo scared me away when it was new. But I bought a cheap copy of it recently and it seemed much more fun to play in the few races I've gotten around to doing with it.

I think like someone else already said that the patch did a lot of good for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Did you download the patch for Revo? It significantly improves the control issues.
    I dunno, when did the patch come out? I played it a year or two ago and haven't touched it since.

I downloaded the full version of SROA last night. Feels more like '95 than Revo, which is a relief. Content feels a bit light though (DLC holdout?). Not many cars or tracks but for only 800 points, it still a good buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played Revo but downloaded this today and put in quite a bit of time. Apparently its a port of Sega Rally 3 without the WRC license and only at 30fps. SR3 was built on a lot of the same assets as Revo apparantly but with different handling etc.

I've really enjoyed it so far. It has the standard arcade championship, two laps of each course and then a one-on-one at the Lakeside. Quick race which lets you do 3 laps of any course, which is nice as you can see the track deformation aspects more. There is also a re-creation of the first track from the original Sega Rally with the original cars.

My only complaint so far is online-only unlocks and achievements - some of us don't have Gold subscriptions.

I've pretty much done everything you can do in single player bar learn manual handling and the time trials and its really good fun. I like the way its an arcade racer with only a few tracks and you play them over and over again to get increasingly better and you beat them. In fact, thats one of the reasons I got this instead of Revo - most racing games these days are far too daunting in their length.
    http://andallshallbewell.wordpress.com
    Where I talk about whatever I want - which includes lots of videogames.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's more of a hybrid between Sega Rally 3 and Sega Rally Revo, from what the expert players are saying. The cars are from Revo, the physics are closer to Revo than SR3, the tracks are taken from SR3, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I downloaded the demo and am really digging it.

Sega Rally 1, 2 and Revo all had cars that rotated on a separate axis from the camera. I thought it worked out well in SR 1 and 2, but for whatever reason I thought it made Revo VERY difficult.

Possibly this is because I played Sega Rally 3 at my local Dave & Busters long before playing Revo and got used to it's camera system. It's camera shares the same axis as the cars and makes for a much better playing experience. It makes the car much easier to control and I don't seem to over steer as much.

Fortunately Sega Rally Online Arcade adopts the camera setup as Sega Rally 3 and it plays like a dream!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read a review or two and see the frame rate is locked at 30, which is a wasted opportunity.

The only home version of Sega Rally that runs at 60fps (that I know of) is Sega Rally Championship for Playstation 2 (Japanese release). It'd be awesome if Sega would release arcade perfect ports of SRC and SRC2 (if they still have the proper licenses), but why ask them to do something cool like that?

I'll try this, but I'll likely stick with Outrun which is insanely awesome and pretty on 360.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to see Sega Championship Racing (formerly Daytona USA).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game plays like the original Sega Rally... and has about the same amount of content. Despite the lack of tracks, this is the game I know I wanted the very disappointing Revo to be. I love the racing in the new game, which is the point! I am an arcade racing fan and this hits that spot perfectly. Revo was brutal.

I do wish that they had included a full remake of the original rather than just the desert track though. What a tease, and an especially tough one at that because it is so damn good. I also wish I could use the Celica in the main game, but understand why they didn't allow that.

I made this purchase to support the idea of "the more Sega racers the better," but I am definitely left wanting a bit more; even considering the fact that the original only had four tracks. I forsee myself spending a good amount of time on it anyway, just like when I had gotten the Saturn version of the original.

<On a side note, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is another Sega racer everyone should have purchased. All I can say is, keep 'em comin'! Oh, and I want Outrun 2 & 2SP for the 3DS (yeah, I know, wishful thinking).>
    Last edited by klausien; 05-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@klausien

I played Sonic Kart's demo and was impressed, but not enough to drop $65 and my time on it. Maybe, some day.

As for Revo, while it certainly isn't a strict arcade racer, I love that you actually "race" the environment. This may be weird, but the main selling point has more in common with Waverace than the other SRs.