Thread: I make my own dust covers...

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default I make my own dust covers...

I think I have may have mentioned this in some other threads I posted in, but I finally got around to taking some pictures of what I do with my games.

Sine most of the games I get don't have sleeves with them I like to make my own by printing out the front and back of the box and fold it up to make a sleeve. So when you pick it up you kind of get the idea of what the box was like while still having a dust cover. It took some time screwing with the margins and sizes but I got as close as I can get.

You will see that the edges are left white and when folding them up i did not have any glue so I used scotch tape, but they are more fun to look at than a plain old sleeve.

Took the pictures with my phone so they a little grainy, in person you can read all the text, and the images on the covers are pretty crisp sometimes it can be a pain to find a good scan without creases all over the box.

Hope you enjoy

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by leatherrebel5150; 05-19-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I notice that there's no cut away where the cart label is like on the real dust sleeves (which of course isn't necessary). Do the carts fit all the way into the sleeves then, or to the tops of them stick out?

You know, as cool as those are, I would probably create a template graphic for the side of the sleeves instead of leaving them blank to give them a sort of uniformity in the event I chose to shelve them standing upright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They do look pretty cool, but since you're going that far to making the boxes I thought you might be interested in this. The Cover Project has a thread where they're making pseudo-reproduction NES boxes. The results I've seen so far are awesome, and while they take a bit of work, the indication I've gotten is that once you're on a roll and have a method they're pretty quick to assemble.

Here's a link:
    http://www.thecoverproject.net/forum...p?topic=4926.0

PS-Another option is printing out their existing covers and putting them in universal game cases, I normally do that with my SNES/Genesis games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I notice that there's no cut away where the cart label is like on the real dust sleeves (which of course isn't necessary). Do the carts fit all the way into the sleeves then, or to the tops of them stick out?

You know, as cool as those are, I would probably create a template graphic for the side of the sleeves instead of leaving them blank to give them a sort of uniformity in the event I chose to shelve them standing upright.
    1. The carts are actually in them in that picture so yes they are all the way in there and the top of the paper and the cart are pretty flush.

2. I thought about doing that in a simple way like just having the title of the game on the side, but then I figured that if I ever have a ton of carts, it would be easier to store them on their side so that I could fit more rows vertically. But I don't know I may go back and try that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    They do look pretty cool, but since you're going that far to making the boxes I thought you might be interested in this. The Cover Project has a thread where they're making pseudo-reproduction NES boxes. The results I've seen so far are awesome, and while they take a bit of work, the indication I've gotten is that once you're on a roll and have a method they're pretty quick to assemble.

Here's a link:
    http://www.thecoverproject.net/forum...p?topic=4926.0

PS-Another option is printing out their existing covers and putting them in universal game cases, I normally do that with my SNES/Genesis games.
    1. This site I totally forgot about, I think I will be using these now, thanks

2. Thought about doing the whole case thing too but then that costs more money I just don't feel like spending.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those are cool but using a heavy card stock and glue would make them look "less homemade" and they may hold up better. Nice job and great way todisplay your loose carts!