Thread: OK to use differant 360 power bricks with different systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default OK to use differant 360 power bricks with different systems?

I want to have two complete sets of wires on two TV's so I can easily swap the system between the two sets. Someone gave me a power brick but I notice the stats on the back are slightly different.

I got my box used but I believe its the first run of the HDMI's.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

There are different versions of the power brick/the original 360 and the revisions that the system went through.

*EDIT* The NEWER bricks won't fit in the older systems. The original bricks will power the newer systems, but the newer ones don't have enough wattage to power the older units.*/EDIT*

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-21-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Thanks Frankie,

Do you run the risk of frying your system if its not compatible, or will it just not work at all?

Edit:

Looks like the brick that came with the system is a 203w, and the one I was given is a 175W
    Last edited by Xian042; 05-21-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    Thanks Frankie,

Do you run the risk of frying your system if its not compatible, or will it just not work at all?

Edit:

Looks like the brick that came with the system is a 203w, and the one I was given is a 175W
    I think the rule is if it fits it will work, which is why they put the spacers in the way that they did.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah, I've powered up my HDMI 360 I bought in early 2010 when they were on sale for like $150 total with my original launch system's power brick lots of times. I think if there was a problem with that I would have noticed/seen something. It should be completely harmless.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    There are different versions of the power brick/the original 360 and the revisions that the system went through.

The older power bricks can not be used with the later revision original 360s (including HDMI models), but apparently you can use the newer bricks with the old 360.

The oldest model 360 will accept all three cord revisions, the newer ones will need the appropriate model.
    You have it backwards.

The oldest 360 had the highest power requirements and can only use the brick that came with it and not the 175 and 150 watt ones. As they redesigned the chips in the console as they revised the system, it lowered the power requirements as the chips became more efficient. So they shipped power supplies with less capacity.

You can use the original 203 watt power supply on a 175 or 150 watt system since it has the necessary capacity. And you can use the 203 or 175 watt power supplies on the newest revision of the original 360, the 150 watt system.

But you cannot use the 175 or 150 watt power supplies on a 203 watt launch era console, and you cannot use a 150 watt power supply to power a 175 watt console. The plugs are designed to make this physically impossible.

That's why Satoshi_Matrix can use his launch model's power supply (203 watts) on his 2010 HDMI console (Likely 150 watts). But if he tried to use the 150 watt power supply that came with his new console on his launch era system, he'd find that it wouldn't even physically be able to be plugged into it since it doesn't have the capacity necessary to power it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    You have it backwards.

The oldest 360 had the highest power requirements and can only use the brick that came with it and not the 175 and 150 watt ones. As they redesigned the chips in the console as they revised the system, it lowered the power requirements as the chips became more efficient. So they shipped power suppliess with less capacity.

You can use the original 203 watt power supply on a 175 or 150 watt system since it has the necessary capacity. And you can use the 203 or 175 watt power supplies on the newest revision of the original 360, the 150 watt system.

But you cannot use the 175 or 150 watt power supplies on a 203 watt launch era console, and you cannot use a 150 watt power supply to power a 175 watt console. The plugs are designed to make this physically impossible.

That's why Satoshi_Matrix can use his launch model's power supply (203 watts) on his 2010 HDMI console (Likely 150 watts). But if he tried to use the 150 watt power supply that came with his new console on his launch era system, he'd find that it wouldn't even physically be able to be plugged into it since it doesn't have the capacity necessary to power it.
    *forehead slap*

Yes, you're absolutely right. That's what I meant to say and expained it completely wrong-way-around.

Basically though, if it fits, it'll work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Thanks everyone!!!!