Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xXClan KillerXx

Default Advice on Capture Card for Games

Hey

I am looking to pickup a capture card or whatever I would need to record gameplay from Modern systems like the 360 and wii and also the classic systems.. I will be recording and putting the footage on Youtube..

I need to know what I need in order to make this happen. Let me know. Thanks
    Follow me on twitter at
    http://twitter.com/OldSkoolGaming

Checkout my Youtube Videos of Reviews, Collections, and more at www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolbrian

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I own this. Records up to 720p with HDMI, Component, Composite, and S Video. The only problem with it is that the program offered doesn't allow to record with HDMI on anything protected, meaning the PS3 won't record with HDMI at all> If you want to get around it, use the drivers it comes with and use another program like VirtualDub. If you update the drivers to the most recent, it blocks protected from being shown on VirtualDub. It'll be shown on the program that it comes with, just won't be able to be recorded.

Anything can be recorded regardless of content using any other connections.

My computer is a 2.4ghz AMD quad core, 8GB RAM, running Windows 7 and 720p record perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definit...6166351&sr=8-2

Here's a video I've recorded using the capture card and it's program through component. It was a 35 minute video that came out at 6GB. I broke it into parts but also reducing the quality of each part combined to a little over 1GB in size. It still looks really good being six times smaller in file size than what I recorded it in, though it looked better with full quality(not too noticeable.) I compressed the first part multiple times until I got a quality and file size that I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK749b-m5w
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-23-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had trouble with that Avermedia card, but their older PCI cards worked well. Genesis and Master System games won't capture with these or Hauppauge cards unless you use a Composite to S-Video converter. My present capture card is a Hauppauge HVR 1600, it works well.

Oh, don't expect to be able to play games on your computer screen through the card. The lag is horrible on almost everything now. Also, the HD PVR 1212 seems to handle all of this as an "all in one" solution, but I could never afford one.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I had trouble with that Avermedia card, but their older PCI cards worked well. Genesis and Master System games won't capture with these or Hauppauge cards unless you use a Composite to S-Video converter. My present capture card is a Hauppauge HVR 1600, it works well.
    That's not so much the fault of the card, it's more of a problem with the Genesis itself. I couldn't get a decent capture normally, I had to feed the video through a VCR, then pass THAT to my capture card. And it still looked kinda like crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've asked in various tech forums what the Genesis and Master System Composite and RF outs could be doing to cause this, nobody knew. I've also noticed that some Playstation games cause the colors to invert on these capture cards while using S-Video. I guess there just wasn't a standard for output colors yet.