Thread: Road Rash III Review (Genesis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Road Rash III Review (Genesis)

Hey Guys,

If there ever was a franchise that deserves a reboot, it would be Road Rash. There was nothing like kicking your opponent off their motorcycle at high speeds and watching them get a serious case of...well...Road Rash. Road Rash 3 on the Genesis was one of the best entries in this forgotten franchise.

"Road Rash represents a genre that was in the spotlight for all of five minutes before disappearing again. Electronic Arts seemed to be the only company interested in making this style of gaming, mixing racing and combat in both Road Rash and Skitchin’…and did it pretty well. There’s just something about lining someone up doing about 200 miles per hour and mangling them with that perfect crowbar swing — mmmm, satisfaction."

For the full review:
    GameBlurb: Road Rash III Review (Genesis)
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game was huge on my block back in the day, like Grand Theft Auto/Call of Duty huge. I agree that III is the best in the entire series, much better than any 32 bit installment.

II comes close, but just doesn't have the depth of III. II has better music, which is something that I disagree with in the review. Road Rash II and III have excellent soundtracks. The sound quality sounds like shit, but the compostions are nice long original songs with changing parts, as well as drum and guitar solos. Road Rash II is one of the best Game soundtracks of all time in my opinion. While not as good, III is nice too with some improvements in the sound effects as mentioned in the review.

I did not like the 32 bit games at all(I've yet to play the 3do port), especially Road Rash 64, which is proboby the sort of garbage we would get if they were to reboot the series.

Has anyone here ever played the games on the EA compilation for PSP? I hear they changed the music for some reason, I'm curious as to how they turned out on that collection, but I don't have a PSP.

Insert Coin (Level 0) profholt82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    profholt82

I still prefer II to 3, but I do appreciate the depth that 3 adds to the gameplay. The addition of new weapons, being able to carry more than 1 and keeping them for the next race definitely makes things funner, but it does detract from the purity of the core gameplay. Having to go out and steal your weapons for each race (as in II) adds another challenge. Plus, as is said above, the music is better in II. The tunes themselves are great, I love the Tennessee song, but the audio quality is better as well. Some of the music sounds grated in 3, especially when they overdo the drums. Regardless, 3 is an excellent game and the Genesis series as a whole is amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Road Rash for 3DO isn't a bad game, believe it or not. Literally all they did was take Road Rash and update the sound and graphics, not much else. It has all the same modes and such as Road Rash III, but it looks and sounds a helluva lot better. It controls just as well as the Genesis games, typically, if you have the right model 3DO controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I used to prefer 3 to 2, but after revisiting 2 I like that one more. 3 does have more depth, weapons, etc. The attempt to have a digitized this- and that instead of drawn sprites makes the game seem more jumpy to me. 2 just runs smoother, imo. Still, 3 is awesome, and I would love to see this game get a good reboot. I'm picturing some type of download. I think the game would lose something if it were treated like a modern racer.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com