ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Terraria

Anybody tried out Terraria yet? I got this last night and love it. Never played Minecraft, but this is probably somewhat similar (although some might disagree).

http://terraria.org/
    http://www.terrariaonline.com/

"Metroidvania" seems to be the common comparison; it feels like that, for sure - has that classic feel. It's only $10 on Steam, so it's totally worth the minimal entry fee. Haven't played multiplayer yet - they don't have Steam servers operational quite yet. I may put one up on my own server for a limited number of peeps once that gets working.

It's incredibly addictive. Started playing last night and ended up going for four hours - a rarity these days for me. It's always "just let me get a bit more of this resource" or "build one more room in my house" or whatever. Graphics are eye-catching...but the gameplay is pretty simple: build, explore, survive. There are epic bosses and dynamic "corruption" to fight, too, but I haven't yet come across any of that - just trying to survive and get defense up against the hordes, explore a little bit, get some weapons.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All I've been seeing about it all the drama it's generating. Supposedly, the creator has been issuing copy right notices to YouTube on ever bad review and apparently flipped out on his fans about it.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My cousin has been playing this lately. He really enjoys it and has been pestering me to buy it off Steam so we can play co-op. I watched the trailer for it on Steam and it looks neat enough. He's still trying to coax me into getting Minecraft as well and I've staved off that urge so far.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Looks really good. I unfortunately stay away from computer games so I won't be trying this unfortunately.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    All I've been seeing about it all the drama it's generating. Supposedly, the creator has been issuing copy right notices to YouTube on ever bad review and apparently flipped out on his fans about it.
    I had to look for this for a bit...it was too good of a gem to pass up. The whole Derek Smart business has kind of entered a twilight period, where it's already old hat and there's relatively little new to be heard in the realm of his diatribes. That being said - I wonder if mention of his name is enough to summon him here? But I digress.

I'm not sure if it's "every Youtube review," or if it's really the dev flipping out (or the fans - which it sounds more like):

http://lo-ping.org/2011/05/21/the-te...-crybaby-fest/

It sounds like some fans are trying to goad him into pulling a Derek Smart; I don't see any conclusive evidence they've succeeded...but here's to hoping.

On the game itself, I've just gotten a bunch of NPCs to move into my little castle, and have gotten some golden equipment. Digging deeper to get more bad guys. It's fun.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Minecraft is a great game in its own right, but can get boring and has many problems. This game is much more fun and has more going on and on a whole is designed much better. I know I shouldn't compare the two, but minecraft honestly shouldn't outshine this game, it has much more gameplay.

You can take your singleplayer maps online, you can take your characters online and your items and bring back items you get from other servers and there are three game modes, one where you only drop gold, one where you drop items and the last that is permadeath, YES! PERMADEATH!

This is a gem and the kind of game that 2-d platforming lovers have been whining for someone to create for years and now someone has and they have done a damn good job! This game isn't nearly as popular as it should be.

It's addictive and fun as hell. Play permadeath pussies.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I play this game a lot, but the devs seem to have it against players.

First they nerfed the recovery potions by forcing a one-minute wait before using another one - of any kind - and then they halved their power (regular and better potions recovered 100 and 200 respectively - now they only recover 50 and 100.)

Other aspects of the game, particularly map generation, were improved in the latest patch, but they don't seem to be interested in making the game more fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I think they're trying to find a way of making the game a bit more difficult so that people don't breeze through it so quickly, but they succeeded mainly in making it more annoying. IMO they should have focused on putting in more difficult enemies and / or improving the AI rather than just taking away health potions.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I think they're trying to find a way of making the game a bit more difficult so that people don't breeze through it so quickly, but they succeeded mainly in making it more annoying. IMO they should have focused on putting in more difficult enemies and / or improving the AI rather than just taking away health potions.
    They did add more difficult enemies.

Unkillable enemies.

I haven't stumbled upon them yet... but the patch notes says they're in the underground caverns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic