Thread: Sega CD not reading discs

Insert Coin (Level 0) zetastrike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Sega CD not reading discs

For the last hour I've been trying to get my Sega CD to read my eight legit purchased games. The only one that it acknowledges is Spiderman. It wouldn't read Rise of the Dragon again after the first try. The weird part is every CD-R game I tried worked perfectly. It's only the real discs that are giving me trouble. It just says there's no disc in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    For the last hour I've been trying to get my Sega CD to read my eight legit purchased games. The only one that it acknowledges is Spiderman. It wouldn't read Rise of the Dragon again after the first try. The weird part is every CD-R game I tried worked perfectly. It's only the real discs that are giving me trouble. It just says there's no disc in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The laser strength probably needs adjustment. I haven't done that before so I would say google is your friend there. Or just get another segacd...

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    What sucks is, that sounds like the laser getting used to a certain type of media CD-R's rather than seeing the original CDs. I've seen it happen to all disc based consoles after awile if you use back ups frequently it will play nothing but them. Adjusting the laser power may help as drmay has said.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I've never once heard that lasers become "adjusted" to CD-Rs over pressed media. That would mean the laser has shifted its power output higher that somehow doesn't allow for reading pressed media.

The SegaCD laser is one of the few that won't get easily destroyed by repeated CD-R usage due to its construction and the type of laser it is. While adjusting the power might help I don't know which way to go. Pressed discs always read better than CD-Rs, period. High reflectivity.

Bizarre.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    maxwatts

Mine has done this intermittently as well. I honestly just made back ups of my legit discs. Frankly it helps because now i dont have to be terrified of killing my OG Sega CD cases now as they are safely on the shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Recently, I picked up a Sega CD Model 1 from a fellow DP member. I knew it had read issues, but I was determined to fix the unit the best as I can.

The unit turns on flawlessly and I can even go to the dash. I place the only immediate game I had: Wild Woody. It played flawlessly.

However, any other game I use, even CD-R, will not load at all. It will read music discs, as well as the lens cleaner...this was read as well, but cleaning the lens did not yield results.

I feel it's the laser acting up. From a previous thread, the lens mit be Sony KSS240A, which is roughly $20 online. However, I would love to tweak the existing pots on the defective lens to see if they can be repaired.

http://www.piersolar.com/piersolar.c...hp?f=30&t=1630

The Link above mentions possible tweaks, as well as what each pot on the lens is for. Problem is, I would love to find the exact OEM values for each pot and adjust accordingly. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate them

Any ideas on the repair?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

To me it sounds like disc rot, which is sometimes visible but not always, for some reason I've found it to be most common with Sega CD games than any other disc based gaming format. It's probably why it's reading freshly burned games but not the original format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

It's probably because Sega CD was literally one of the first types of systems to have discs, so they really didn't have any protective coating or anything. The discs are, quite obviously compared to today's standards or even standards slightly beyond that, very poor.

So it might be a bit of laser issues mixed with disc rot that's causing these issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by Letiumtide View Post
    To me it sounds like disc rot, which is sometimes visible but not always, for some reason I've found it to be most common with Sega CD games than any other disc based gaming format. It's probably why it's reading freshly burned games but not the original format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

It's probably because Sega CD was literally one of the first types of systems to have discs, so they really didn't have any protective coating or anything. The discs are, quite obviously compared to today's standards or even standards slightly beyond that, very poor.

So it might be a bit of laser issues mixed with disc rot that's causing these issues.
    Thats not a half bad assessment honestly. I'd try ripping the originals with ImgBurn and see if any errors crop up or if it suddenly drops in ripping speed only to crawl back up. If something comes up here its probably disc rot.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?