Thread: Upscaling Retro 8-Bit Pixel Art To Vector Graphics [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Upscaling Retro 8-Bit Pixel Art To Vector Graphics [Slashdot]

An anonymous reader writes "Two researchers — Johannes Kopf from Microsoft, and Dani Lischinski from The Hebrew University — have successfully created an algorithm that depixelizes and upscales low-resolution 8-bit 'pixel art' into lush vector graphics. The algorithm identifies pixel-level details (original paper — PDF) to accurately shade the new image — but more importantly, the algorithm can create smooth, curved contour lines from only-connected-on-the-diagonal single pixels. At long last, we might be able to play Super Mario Bros. on a big screen without stretching our beloved plumber's pixels to breaking point. You really must look at the sample images." Scroll down in the paper to see how their technique stacks up against some others, including Adobe's Live Trace.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Here's an image f what they're talking about if you can't get the PDF to load, like myself:

http://imgur.com/a/gRXPJ

It's an interesting idea, but isn't part of the charm of old games the pixelation?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Yoshi's Island Yoshi looks pretty ugly using this technique, as does the Battle Blaze character. I actually think that the HQ4x algorithm does a nicer job by the looks of things, but then again, I prefer the nearest neighbour extrapolation while playing.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

popular emulators do things like this and i always call it "the ugly filter"

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The implications of this are that low-res raster images of any kind have another option when converting into a vector graphic, and this looks to be more accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This definitely some cool tech. Not necessarily for games, but low-res artwork and the like. At first when reading this, I though this was completely something else, like an algorithm that would vectorize pixels into vector blocks so that you could scale them without blurring/degradation, which would in fact be very useful for many applications.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drath View Post
    This definitely some cool tech. Not necessarily for games, but low-res artwork and the like. At first when reading this, I though this was completely something else, like an algorithm that would vectorize pixels into vector blocks so that you could scale them without blurring/degradation, which would in fact be very useful for many applications.
    I thought that pretty much already exists, or at the least you can just scale a bitmap all day at nearest neighbor with a 1:1 ratio.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That actually looks pretty decent. Wouldn't mind seeing some classic games rendered like that in realtime. I'm with Evan_G on emulator filters though. Stuff like Super Eagle and HQ4x just makes games look like melted plastic.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I thought that pretty much already exists, or at the least you can just scale a bitmap all day at nearest neighbor with a 1:1 ratio.
    Was going to see if somebody would bring that up. While it's true downscalling and upscalling in nearest neighbor will achieve this (kind of, i'll explain), they are still pixels, therefore, if you to scale down artwork that is already 1x1 pixel, pixels will get lost because you can't half a pixel. And because they are still pixels, you can't skew, rotate, or transform them without degradation. Now, if they were all "vector pixels", you could do all that and more, and in real time without re-scalling bitmap data.

Either way, sounds like I have a new weekend project, haha.