1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default 3DS e-shop goes live June 6th

So I got an email from Nintendo saying the e-shop will FINALLY go live on June 6th. It promises a virtual console for gameboy games and NES classics updated to 3D. I suspect that the DSi shop content will probably be on there too.

Thought the 3DS owners around here would be interested. I've read that we're all getting a free download of Excitebike updated to 3D!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tralalère

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I've read that we're all getting a free download of Excitebike updated to 3D!
    GREAT !

I'm more excited about the release of the 3DS e-Shop, than the 3DS itself !

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

It's not the same without Mega Man Legends 3 there at launch...

And I keep thinking that the "updated" Excitebike will really be the 3D visualizer from the 3DS Sound application. Have you guys seen that visualizer yet? It's really cool and seems like it could *easily* be made into a full game unto itself. Then again, all the 3DS Sound visualizers are cool, whether they are from a game series (like Rhythm Tengoku) or not.

I think though that most people will never see the visualizers because unless a person loads an SD card with MP3s/AACs on it, 3DS Sound never goes into "music player" mode. For a company like Nintendo which idolizes Apple's approach to things, this unintuitive interface is a bit uncouth.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    I think though that most people will never see the visualizers because unless a person loads an SD card with MP3s/AACs on it, 3DS Sound never goes into "music player" mode. For a company like Nintendo which idolizes Apple's approach to things, this unintuitive interface is a bit uncouth.
    Can it actually play MP3s? I know with the DSi it only plays AACs and I never bothered to use that feature as I don't want to convert all my music files when I can just use a $10 MP3 player instead. It really seemed like a cool feature for the DSi until I heard it couldn't play MP3s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not that excited for the online store because Nintendo is going to make me buy Super Mario Bros. from 1986 yet again if I want to play it on my 3DS. It's bad enough that they will probably end up taking me for $40 to buy Ocarina of Time again; a game I already have on the N64, Gamecube & Wii. They really should give us something back for all the times we've had to buy the same damn games, but alas, business is business. New content is a draw, but I haven't been very enthused in general by all the minigame crap you can play for free on the web that all of the online services have been passing off as $5-$10 "games." There are glorious exceptions of course, but DLC and downloadable game content has been mostly frustrating and too expensive overall.

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    And I keep thinking that the "updated" Excitebike will really be the 3D visualizer from the 3DS Sound application. Have you guys seen that visualizer yet? It's really cool and seems like it could *easily* be made into a full game unto itself. Then again, all the 3DS Sound visualizers are cool, whether they are from a game series (like Rhythm Tengoku) or not.
    I was very excited about the possibilities for the 3D visualizers, but then I found myself completely and totally underwhelmed when I loaded up some mp3s and took it for a spin. I was hoping for something that would at least approach what iTunes, most of the 32-bit CDROM systems, Winamp, etc. have been doing for years. Unfortunately, there was absolutely zero psychedelia to be found, which is entirely unacceptable in 2011. I guess the Jag CD VLM still remains the best visualizer out there, regardless of its incompatibility with modern mp3 players. I still like it better than Neon for the 360. Regardless, I would absolutely love to see what Yak could do in 3D. I doubt that will never happen though; at least not on the 3DS.

Oh well, I guess it's just another disappointment we can chalk up for the 3DS, unless they offer a DLC upgrade at some point (which I highly doubt will happen). Don't get me wrong, I love my system (mostly because my previous DS was an original model), but the visualizers were a bigger disappointment than the slight "blur" on DS game playback. The low resolution on the 3D camera is still worse however, but I'm digressing even further.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The thing about some of the classic/black box variant NES games is that they're timeless. Well, a fair amount of them anyway (Urban Champion is an abortion.) I can play Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, Balloon Fight and Mario Bros. til the cows come home. I'd gladly pay for a stable version of those games I could play anywhere.

And who knows? Maybe they'll actually finally release the Donkey Kong arcade rom on there. Doubtful, but maybe.

Anybody know if the virtual console on there will have GBA games? There's a ton of stuff from that era that I missed out on.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear. Japan got a PC Engine section, but I don't know if we'll get it aswell.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    It's bad enough that they will probably end up taking me for $40 to buy Ocarina of Time again; a game I already have on the N64, Gamecube & Wii.
    Watch for deals on Ocarina of Time. Kmart is really pushing the envelope on their game deals. I bought L.A. Noire on release day for $60, but Kmart threw in a $20 game for free, and a $20 coupon for a future game purchase. They've already stated there will be a deal on Ocarina 3D. Check out this thread on CAG:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=295648

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Can it actually play MP3s? I know with the DSi it only plays AACs and I never bothered to use that feature as I don't want to convert all my music files when I can just use a $10 MP3 player instead. It really seemed like a cool feature for the DSi until I heard it couldn't play MP3s.
    Where the DSi needs AAC files the 3DS plays MP3s just fine.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Really looking forward to the 3DS Game Boy Virtual Console. Would love to see some of those classics like Super Mario Lands 1 and 2, Mega Man V, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and others that haven't been re-released at all finally get some spotlight. Simply timeless.

3DS has a lot of potential to be another super-seller, despite the shoddy titles available at launch. When things like Kid Icarus and Ocarina 3D drop, expect sales to go up!

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Would love to see some of those classics like Super Mario Lands 1 and 2, Mega Man V, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, and others that haven't been re-released at all finally get some spotlight. Simply timeless.
    Me too, but I would much prefer a complete color update. I can't see myself shelling out money for virtual versions of black and white GameBoy games, especially games I still own. Of course, like you said, at least these games will finally get some time in the "spotlight".

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Only five more days to go, amigos!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

According to Tiny Cartridge, not only will 3DS owners get a free copy of Excitebike 3D, they'll also be getting a free Pokedex app as well.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/606970...asing-to-eshop

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How much will the GB games be on the VC??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japan: Kirby’s Dream Land, Super Mario Land, Mega Man: Dr. Wily’s Revenge, Baseball, Avenging Spirit and Downtown Special: Its Kunio’s Period Piece, Assemble Everyone!!

USA: Super Mario Land, Alleyway, Radar Mission

Cool.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Actually, all three of those are pretty great for B&W GB games. I'll prolly snag 'em all!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Downtown Special: Its Kunio’s Period Piece, Assemble Everyone!!
    Also known as a sequel to River City Ransom.

Japan gets all these good Game Boy games to start with, and what do we get? Mario Land plus knockoffs of Arkanoid and Battleship. And for the fantastic prices of $3.99 for Mario and $2.99 for the others.

Europe gets what we do except Tennis instead of "Battleship." Hoo-rah... not.

Oh, and download your Excitebike 3D while you can - next month the price goes up to $5.99.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Holy crap, I just saw the trailer for Excitebike 3D...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6flZ...&feature=feedu

It's not what I expected AT ALL. I figured they were just going to shoehorn some stereoscopic effects into an NES game and call it a day, but this... it's actual chunky pixel sprites... IN 3D! That's really cool, and I'm really looking forward to see what else they come up with.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Actually, all three of those are pretty great for B&W GB games. I'll prolly snag 'em all!
    Maybe, but I would have thought they would avoid repeating the same f*ckups they did regarding Wii VC, with some games coming to NA/EU two years after JP VC release.

I was actually hoping they'd release everything at the same time worldwide, and I can't really see why this isn't the case. While JP 3DS VC gets off to a really good start, with a line-up that actually make people take note of the VC, we get Mario Land and "knockoffs of Arkanoid and Battleship" at a time when the 3DS library is already shamefully small.

I'm actually really annoyed at this.
    Last edited by Nico87; 06-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That Excitebike video is very enticing to the retro maniac in me. I'm glad I too will be getting it for free, but there had better be a 2 player mode. Vs. Excitebike for the FDS is one the best NES games Nintendo left in Japan.