Thread: US PSN Hack Free Debix Identity Theft Protection Available Now!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default US PSN Hack Free Debix Identity Theft Protection Available Now!

For those who have PS3/PSP PSN or Qriocity accounts in the US that were affected by the PSN hack/data compromise, Sony has the sign up portal live now:

http://us.playstation.com/news/consu...ft-protection/

Codes for free service are being sent today through June 28th 2011, so if you'd like a free year of identity theft protection sign up today!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-25-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Not bad.

Already have Privacy Assist from BoA, but I'm signing up for this as well.

I hope I qualify, though.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Not North American, unfortunately. This is US only. I really hope they're doing something for Canada - it'd be really crappy if they didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Not North American, unfortunately. This is US only. I really hope they're doing something for Canada - it'd be really crappy if they didn't.
    Ah, crapola.

They said that they'll be offering identity protection in each affected region, so I'm sure they'll get Canada set up.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember reading that there was something not good about Debix, but I can't remember what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Ah, crapola.

They said that they'll be offering identity protection in each affected region, so I'm sure they'll get Canada set up.
    According to comments on the PSN Blog from Rubenstein, the Canadian program is still being set up.
    Last edited by JSoup; 05-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Got my confirmation code.

I can't use it now, since I applied for a new credit card yesterday. Once that has been worked on, I will add the service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I remember reading that there was something not good about Debix, but I can't remember what it was.
    I think it was the fraud alert the company places on your account, as reviewed here:

http://identity-theft-protection-ser...en-review.html

Has any one joined? Any info in it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I think it was the fraud alert the company places on your account, as reviewed here:

http://identity-theft-protection-ser...en-review.html

Has any one joined? Any info in it?
    I joined as soon as it opened.

They don't ask for anything intrusive (no SSN, etc.) it's the standard level of protection so there's nothing really in terms of options to adjust and they haven't interfered with any of my credit card purchases online or otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I fail to see how this is going to help everyone. If the people who stole the information were able to pull that off, surely they will have the intelligence to wait 15 months until everyone's free service is over and 99% of the identities they have aren't being "protected" anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I joined as soon as it opened.

They don't ask for anything intrusive (no SSN, etc.) it's the standard level of protection so there's nothing really in terms of options to adjust and they haven't interfered with any of my credit card purchases online or otherwise.
    Wow, i did not know this. So if they don't ask for your SSN, then what use is it? A persons identity won't be really protected fully without it (from what I can tell), so it's kinda useless, though. What features does it have? What do you see when you access the file, Franky?

At least with BoA, my credit is constantly being monitored. I can even access my credit scores. I don't expect that with Debix, but I fail to see how they can protect a person without pertinent information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Really? We're going to be critical of free credit protection?

Okay. Don't know what to say to that.

While I don't see why anybody wouldn't take advantage of it, if you don't want it you don't have to sign up.

If you do, it's free if you were a PSN member during the intrusion (The regular cost of a year of service with Debix is about $120) and it's up to one million dollars in loss reimbursment credit fraud protection.

If you need a more complete explanation of how the service "works" you can look here http://www.debix.com/products_how_it_works.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

While I don't see why anybody wouldn't take advantage of it, if you don't want it you don't have to sign up.
    Oh, you are right. The issue I am referring to is *how* can it be useful if it doesn't ask for your SSN. Credit protection plans usually ask for your SSN since it's used for all credit related inquiries. So I fail to see how it can be useful if it doesn't require your SSN.

If you need a more complete explanation of how the service "works" you can look here http://www.debix.com/products_how_it_works.php
    Oh, I know how it works. Someone applies for credit and you get a call to determine if it's real or not. Question is, how can it be determined if it was real if Debix never asked you for your SSN?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Oh, you are right. The issue I am referring to is *how* can it be useful if it doesn't ask for your SSN. Credit protection plans usually ask for your SSN since it's used for all credit related inquiries. So I fail to see how it can be useful if it doesn't require your SSN.

Oh, I know how it works. Someone applies for credit and you get a call to determine if it's real or not. Question is, how can it be determined if it was real if Debix never asked you for your SSN?
    There must be a way for them to sort things out without needing to know your SSN, otherwise they wouldn't be in operation/offering protection.

They probably have access to that information from credit bureaus if they ever need it for a security check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

There must be a way for them to sort things out without needing to know your SSN, otherwise they wouldn't be in operation/offering protection.

They probably have access to that information from credit bureaus if they ever need it for a security check.
    True, though I find it odd since, from what I've researched, they ask for your SSN in their other plans. So this "free" service makes me wonder.

Did Debix places fraud alerts in your credit history for all three bureaus? It seems that this is how they operate, from what I've gathered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Really? We're going to be critical of free credit protection?

Okay. Don't know what to say to that.

If you do, it's free if you were a PSN member during the intrusion (The regular cost of a year of service with Debix is about $120) and it's up to one million dollars in loss reimbursment credit fraud protection.

It's more me being critical of Sony and the fact they let everyone's information out into the wild. I'm trying to say that these people are going to wait until that one million dollars of loss reimbursement is over before they do anything with everyone's information. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security.

I think if I had gotten a sincere apology email from Sony I would be less sore about this, but I got nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    It's more me being critical of Sony and the fact they let everyone's information out into the wild. I'm trying to say that these people are going to wait until that one million dollars of loss reimbursement is over before they do anything with everyone's information.
    Your right.

Although the service offered by Sony is decent at best, those affected should purchase a more thorough credit protection program, like Lifelock.

Even though I have a monitoring program currently, I am considering adding another service, if it's possible. Might as well, considering things have been getting progressively worse, not only because of what happened with Sony, but society in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    It's more me being critical of Sony and the fact they let everyone's information out into the wild. I'm trying to say that these people are going to wait until that one million dollars of loss reimbursement is over before they do anything with everyone's information. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security.

I think if I had gotten a sincere apology email from Sony I would be less sore about this, but I got nothing.
    No, no. No false sense of security here.

I know that ultimately nothing is safe/secure anywhere. Anything can be compromised, but personally I'm not the kind of person that is going to lose sleep over that fact.

I'm confident that I'm as careful with my sensitive data as any reasonable person can/should be and I'm not going to take any unnecessary steps until I have to.

As far as apologies go, did you watch Kaz's welcome back video?

He specifically made a direct apology to the entire PSN user-base.

Where eating crow is concerned, the only other person/CEO that they could have trotted out to ask for our apologies is Jack Tretton, and I'm sure he'll probably say something of the sort at E3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-announcement/

And Kirby,

With all due respect, while I did report that the service is open to those who were affected, and I'm happy to share what I can about the experience so far, I'm not a representative of that company qualified/capable of answering questions about what they offer.

If you have questions about the service, what they collect/don't collect and how they utilize that data to provide the appropriate protection I would strongly recommend that you contact Debix directly.

https://www.debix.com/about/contact.php
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-01-2011 at 08:57 AM.