Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Won't Invest As Heavily In PlayStation 4 [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Sony Won't Invest As Heavily In PlayStation 4 [Slashdot]

donniebaseball23 writes "Sony CFO Masaru Kato told investors this week that the company won't be looking to put the same kind of massive R&D into PS4 as they did with PS3. PS3's costs were astronomical because of Blu-ray and the Cell chip, but Sony's bottom line can't take another similar hit. Analysts are speculating that this will leave the door open for competitors like Microsoft. 'PS4's hardware could be less impressive than the PS3 at its launch. I think Microsoft will really be able to put the screws to Sony in the next console war,' Panoptic analyst Asif Khan commented to IndustryGamers."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My G2X can phone can already do all that (has HDMI output) and may even have the same CPU. I believe it should be pushing Android 2.3 maybe 2.4 by fall as well.

The controller seems to be the only only perk.

Hope it can bring something more to the table. It seems to me to be akin to the Gameboy Player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a dead obvious trend. Consoles have always used a mix of custom and off-the-shelf hardware, but with the high level of integration inherent in modern computer systems, designing a platform in-house has become impractical.
    Anything Sony tries to engineer will be less efficient than the ready-made solutions offered by IBM/AMD/Nvidia, since those are the companies that design the logic used in the components in the first place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It kind of makes sense really. blu ray tech can be re used. Slap a faster cell processor in there and a more modern version of the "RSX" with current shader models and the like. more ram. bam! less R&D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They certainly can't launch another console at $599+ or they'll sink themselves.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wonder if they will drop the Playstation line, and give the next console a new name. It seems like this is a good time to hit the reset switch.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A buddy of mine works in the industry and his company has had PS4 dev kits, from the sounds of it, at least since the beginning of the year.

He says the PS4 is a monster of a machine. I'll get more info from him about it next time I see him online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I wonder if they will drop the Playstation line, and give the next console a new name. It seems like this is a good time to hit the reset switch.
    or sony should spin off the playstation brand into its own company. convergence is a failed business model for gaming consoles. the playstation team needs less pressure from other sony divisions to allow them the freedom to focus on games. sony can still make a killing by being the primary shareholder in the new company and will still make money on every game published on a blu ray disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    A buddy of mine works in the industry and his company has had PS4 dev kits, from the sounds of it, at least since the beginning of the year.

He says the PS4 is a monster of a machine. I'll get more info from him about it next time I see him online.

Wuh.... That would mean Sony is launching at the same time as Nintendo. Otherwise, why would Dev kits already be available. This seems really hard for me to believe, but if you have the inside scoop...

I'm guessing that if what you say is correct, then Sony might even tease this machine at e3.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post

That's no surprising. Dev kits aren't even necessarily based on the console hardware. They're just similar enough in some respects to give devs an approximation of the target platform. Early XBOX360 dev units were just PowerMac G5 computers with an ATI video card running a custom Windows NT operating system.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If PS4 is going to be announced then there goes whatever edge Nintendo would have had for a slight graphics lead over 360 and PS3. Now all they have is the LCD controller for kids who happen not to have a TV and still want to play. Doubt that's going to work for them.

I just hope the PS4 is BC for PS1 and PS2, atleast software based.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS4 won't be announced at E3 because it won't be launching anytime soon unless Sony plans on losing all of their PS3 momentum. People who are still waiting to pick up a PS3 would put the breaks on if they thought the newest system would be launching next year.

As for the tech, Sony really doesn't need to upgrade much. I personally don't care that PC's graphics can get better yearly. As long as a consoles graphics don't look like they are a generation behind(console wise) then they work for me. I'm curious what they will do for a feature set though. The PS1 played cds, PS2 played dvds and PS3 plays bluray. So whats going to be the PS4's gimmick? Powerwise I think they could get by with a moderate upgrade over the PS3. They just need to make sure that the low end model has atleast a 500 gig hard drive, if not an entire terrabyte.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I just hope the PS4 is BC for PS1 and PS2, atleast software based.
    I was thinking they should start anew and save some money by not making the new system backward compatible with any previous system. After all, there are plenty of PS1, PS2, and PS3 systems out there to play the old games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd rather have a single system hooked up. That's the entire reason that I don't own a slim PS3 even though I like how the system looks and is much more quiet than the original PS3.

I don't think we'd have to worry about the system being backwards compatible or not, though. It'll probably run PS2 software backwards compatibility no problem. Then Sony can release a line of PS2 Classics and make more money on digital copies of PS2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there really any justifiable need for a new Playstation at this point?

I mean, about the only thing they can improve at this point is the security on their machine. Graphics and sound are pretty much as good as they can get. Unless they are planning for a full 3D console, though that seems almost unnecessary at this point.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Is there really any justifiable need for a new Playstation at this point?

I mean, about the only thing they can improve at this point is the security on their machine. Graphics and sound are pretty much as good as they can get. Unless they are planning for a full 3D console, though that seems almost unnecessary at this point.
    I beg to differ. AT THE VERY LEAST, graphically there is much room for improvement. One needs only to look at PC exclusives not burdened by console ports (or vice versa) to see how far the graphics have come. It only appears as graphic capabilities have come to a stand-still because so many games are designed for the console first and PC second.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    The PS4 won't be announced at E3 because it won't be launching anytime soon unless Sony plans on losing all of their PS3 momentum. People who are still waiting to pick up a PS3 would put the breaks on if they thought the newest system would be launching next year.
    This is exactly what's been on my mind. The PS3 hasn't even been out for that long, and they're already talking about a successor? Crap like that is why I just about gave up on gaming not too long ago.

To be honest, I don't really care for the "console wars" anymore. All that matters is that system X has the games I want. I don't know what the PS4 is gonna have, and if its gonna mean another expensive purchase, then I can force myself to not care. As it is, the PS3 has precisely one game on it I want to play, and its about to get Metal Gear Solid: Rising as well, so I'm iffy about even getting that system (especially since I don't have an HDTV--will that affect my ability to play games too much?)

Blast these console generations. Just blast them.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 05-30-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    This is exactly what's been on my mind. The Wii hasn't even been out for that long, and they're already talking about a successor?
    Fixed. Who just recently announced Project Cafe? Sony hasn't even announced a successor. We're all going by rumors and speculation. Do you think Microsoft at this very moment isn't in development of the XBOX 3? I'm sure that both Sony and Microsoft are in development stages for new consoles. Doesn't mean they're going to be released any time soon.

Also. An HDTV isn't needed to enjoy the PS3 or 360, but once you go HD, you never go back, baby. Well. On an HD console atleast. SD consoles look better on an SDTV.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    They certainly can't launch another console at $599+ or they'll SNK themselves.
    Fixed
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't think we'd have to worry about the system being backwards compatible or not, though. It'll probably run PS2 software backwards compatibility no problem. Then Sony can release a line of PS2 Classics and make more money on digital copies of PS2 games.
    The PS2 was never fully emulated on the PS3, so I wouldn't make any bets on it being emulated on the PS4.

And you apparantly aren't aware of it, but they're rereleasing PS2 classics right now. I doubt they're going to code a emulator just to sell digital copies of them in the future. Look at the PSOne, every last PS3 and PSP can play PSOne games. Yet, that service is largely forgotten, overlooked, and underutilized.

The PS2 matters less and less to the general public every passing day. Unless the pure horsepower of a PS4 makes it very easy and economical to suddenly bring software PS2 emulation out, it isn't going to happen.