Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best port of Paper boy?

Best port of paper boy?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

First off, nothing compares to having the handlebar controls of the arcade cabinet.

Personally I don't enjoy any of the 8/16 bit era conversions, the NES version is especially terrible despite it being nostalgic to a lot who grew up with it.

It wasn't until the 32 bit era and beyond (when they could port the arcade rom directly) that we got excellent home versions.

My personal favorites are the version found on the PS1 Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits Atari Collection Volume 2 and the XBOX Live Arcade.

Both run from the arcade roms and are emulated well.

I prefer the PS1 version to those found on PS2 era collections due to the fact that (as far as my memory serves) you can tweak the sensitivity of the analog inputs in the game options, for some reason control sensitivity options weren't available in the ps2 era collections for that game and Paperboy is a game that really really needs a sweet spot where analog and/or digital controls are concerned.

I'm fairly certain that the XBLA version is no longer available due to Midway's bankruptcy and the de-listing of a majority of its back catalog.

The XBLA version controls well and has some interesting online competitive/cooperative scoring modes.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) armonigann's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All IMO in order from fave to worst. (that I own)

Arcade Treasures CG: Best port I own hands down. Very well emulated from original.

.Genesis: The Genny did an awesome job w/ this port and controls excellent w/ the d-pad.

NES: Looks like ass, but plays very well and is very enjoyable for what it is.

SMS: God awful version! Looks wonderful 8-bitfully, but the controls are horrid and who the hell thought making this version where you can't hit 80% of stuff in the game w/ papers was ok?
    Im looking for Bonk for the NES. No need to pm me though, unless you would accept bits of string for tender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    First off, nothing compares to having the handlebar controls of the arcade cabinet.
    With this in mind, I'd have to say the Lynx version.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Personally, I think the Genesis port is the way to go. Great controls and gameplay. Also not as frustrating as the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis. I have Midway Arcade Treasures and I think the Genesis version is actually better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

My favorite is the NES version, but like Frankie Says, it's probably nostalgia talking. I thought the original handlebar controls were awkward, but then again I think the 720 stick is too. I've never tried the Lynx version, though I want to!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked the Atari Collection 2 version for PS1. The GBC one is disappointing. Some windows can't be hit and the hit detection is off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shivanhaven
    PSN
    shivan haven

I was pretty happy with the XBLA version. As mentioned before, I was raised on the NES version and still enjoy it off and on today. I haven't had much of a chance to play the other versions, but I thought the Game Gear version was ok as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Good as it got was on (midway arcade treasure vol1) for the xbox,PS2,gc.Yeah it 'has no handlebar controlls like what the arcade has but that's close as ya can get.

Btw the only other port i've played was on the nes wich was terrible.It,lacked the grahpics and sound of the arcade plus the nes d-pad didn't sit well with me for paperboy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    With this in mind, I'd have to say the Lynx version.
    InsaneDavid speaks the truth.

The Atari Lynx port is by far one of the best Paperboy ports. As Frankie stated earlier, Paperboy is all about the controls and the Lynx nailed them. Some versions might have better graphics, the Lynx's were pretty good however, but I have yet to play a console version old or new that plays as good as the Lynx version. The steering and paper throwing is as precise as it can be and the bicycle acceleration is handled really well.

Also The Lynx version sounds fantastic, but I have a soft spot for the Lynx's sound chip.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Lynx might have had only a small library of titles, but not really any duffs in there.
    Paperboy on Lynx rocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The Lynx might have had only a small library of titles, but not really any duffs in there.
    Paperboy on Lynx rocks.
    I agree that it's good on the Lynx. Can't think of an arcade port on that system that isn't great. Much love for Lynx here.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep, I recently sold my Lynx collection, which was complete (all known games sold in shops, no homebrews), but now I have the fun of re-collecting with the aim of completing again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    It wasn't until the 32 bit era and beyond (when they could port the arcade rom directly) that we got excellent home versions.

My personal favorites are the version found on the PS1 Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits Atari Collection Volume 2 and the XBOX Live Arcade.

Both run from the arcade roms and are emulated well.
    AFAIK the XBL version was pulled. The PS1 version (in Midway) is not an emulation but a port (same goes for Gauntlet.)

This is semi-good news because this was really the only thing making me own a PSX for. How does the XBOX 1/Midways version of Paperboy handle? This for sure is an emulated version.

I tried the Dreamcast version this weekend and felt the control was a little wonky.
    Last edited by courtesi1; 07-16-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't even know this game wasn't originally on the NES until a month ago. I never went to arcades when I was younger, the closest one I knew about was at the mall 45 minutes away.

I also never heard of the SMS until a year ago, so keep that in mind...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just use MAME.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Just use MAME.
    I'll likely play the Atari Lynx version, Genny, and MAME on a handheld modded or gp2x.

I will own a copy of it for the Sega Genesis but that will likely be the only one I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I grew up playing the C64 version so much that a few months ago when I played the real deal at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas, I had to relearn all of the patterns.

The Genesis one is pretty good. I've never played the NES one; I'll have to try that one too.

I may eventually track down one of those cabinets and put it next to my 720.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Been playing it a lot in MAME lately ... a problem across all versions of MAME (that I've ever used) is that no matter how you adjust the analog sensitivity/dead-zone/joystick saturation and digital speed, the paperboy always always slow drifts to the right as you progress.

This may relate to something physical in the original arcade hardware that you could tweak adjust to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by courtesi1 View Post
    AFAIK the XBL version was pulled. The PS1 version (in Midway) is not an emulation but a port (same goes for Gauntlet.)

This is semi-good news because this was really the only thing making me own a PSX for. How does the XBOX 1/Midways version of Paperboy handle? This for sure is an emulated version.

I tried the Dreamcast version this weekend and felt the control was a little wonky.
    ...what would be the difference between "emulation" and a "port" of the original arcade code? Same thing, no?