0 Posts

nice shameless self promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio View Post
    nice shameless self promotion.
    Thanks. If I were ashamed, many of these fine folks on the DP forums wouldn't know about the free interview to watch, or the free sample pages to read. Win-win.
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 05-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Thanks. If I were ashamed, many of these fine folks on the DP forums wouldn't know about the free interview to watch, or the free sample pages to read. Win-win.
    yes, free interviews and gaming articles on the internet, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio View Post
    yes, free interviews and gaming articles on the internet, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Ha ha, yeah, what a rarity.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yay, another show and tell video... and an entire thread devoted to it...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

No need to pick at this. It's a long-term forum member with legitimate work to share and promote. It's not some deceitful thing, and this site has a history of encouraging collectors to share their collections. Why give him a hard time?

Anyway, nice collection, wish more of it was shown in the video. Good luck with your books, too. Hope they're successful for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    No need to pick at this. It's a long-term forum member with legitimate work to share and promote. It's not some deceitful thing, and this site has a history of encouraging collectors to share their collections. Why give him a hard time?

Anyway, nice collection, wish more of it was shown in the video. Good luck with your books, too. Hope they're successful for you.
    Thank you for standing up for Brett and his decision to share this in it's own thread. Like you said, he's a long-term forum member and so am I. I actually produced this video with Brett and our hope was that it would be seen and enjoyed by fellow retrogamers, not buried or scoffed at.

Not sure how long this thread will be around, as the thread I originally created for it was tucked away under the generic "videos" thread. *Sigh* Oh well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Not sure how long this thread will be around, as the thread I originally created for it was tucked away under the generic "videos" thread. *Sigh* Oh well.
    Maybe because that's where it belongs... some originality goes a long way...

Cherry (Level 1) wizardofwor1975's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thank you for standing up for Brett and his decision to share this in it's own thread. Like you said, he's a long-term forum member and so am I. I actually produced this video with Brett and our hope was that it would be seen and enjoyed by fellow retrogamers, not buried or scoffed at.

Well said.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Like you said, he's a long-term forum member and so am I.
    Yet neither of you seem to understand "video are posted to the video thread, DP isn't your free pennysaver ad".
    There really is no argument to make here. That's how it's done on DP, go deal.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't explore many of the sub-forums, but I rather enjoy seeing members' collection and videos and photo gameroom tours whenever they pop up here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Yet neither of you seem to understand "video are posted to the video thread, DP isn't your free pennysaver ad".
    There really is no argument to make here. That's how it's done on DP, go deal.
    OK, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't explore many of the sub-forums, but I rather enjoy seeing members' collection and videos and photo gameroom tours whenever they pop up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardofwor1975 View Post
    Well said.
    Just because "That's how it's done on DP" doesn't mean it should stay that way. I'm sure a lot of interesting video content goes unseen because of the precedent set here.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Just because "That's how it's done on DP" doesn't mean it should stay that way. I'm sure a lot of interesting video content goes unseen because of the precedent set here.
    Life sucks and then you die.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Life's great. And horrible. And awesome. And stupid. And yeah, you die... so why not make the best of it? Meet someone. Play a game... or, if you're part of a certain subculture represented here, watch some ponies... but being nice and at least vaguely polite isn't so bad. I may have to order one of these books just out of spite for the needless backlash in this thread over enthusiasm for a collection and the desire to talk up legit work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Life's great. And horrible. And awesome. And stupid. And yeah, you die... so why not make the best of it? Meet someone. Play a game... or, if you're part of a certain subculture represented here, watch some ponies... but being nice and at least vaguely polite isn't so bad. I may have to order one of these books just out of spite for the needless backlash in this thread over enthusiasm for a collection and the desire to talk up legit work.
    Yeah, I sorta of feel that way, too. It kind of bothers me when we bicker about enthusiasm shown for the hobby, like when someone is given a hard time about something like posting videos or pictures of their collections or collecting stories. I'll admit, I do chime in myself sometimes with jabs when the issue of slabbing games is raised, but I wish we could all be a little less hostile about members sharing if they aren't being rude or sharing.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

OK, but... Just because "That's how it's done on DP" doesn't mean it should stay that way. I'm sure a lot of interesting video content goes unseen because of the precedent set here.
    Except the "generic video thread" isn't a /generic/ video thread. It is ONLY for videogame-based videos; there is another thread for "generic" videos. The videogaming videos thread has 80K views. 80,000! So any given video isn't going to be "unseen and buried." The thread in question is available IN THIS VERY FORUM AT THE -TOP- OF THE PAGE.

Do you know /why/ we have two dedicated video threads? Do you? I bet not, ShinobiMan, because you just make your drive-by video threads and speed off.

We have this pair of video threads to handle all of the videos because in the past REAL CONVERSATIONS were getting buried, pushed past the first page of each sub-forum by all of the "Hey guys, look at us talk about games using a camcorder! View my videos! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!" threads. Usually the most "conversation" these would generate would be along the lines of, "Nice video," and "Thanks, you should subscribe. <link>"

It is better this way. This is the way it is staying. This place is for discussions, not merely for promotions.

Merge-a-rooni.

(Please excuse my brusqueness. I've just had enough of this lately.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I guess I don't visit enough to notice any problems with this being an issue, but I guess it is or has been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Except the "generic video thread" isn't a /generic/ video thread. It is ONLY for videogame-based videos; there is another thread for "generic" videos. The videogaming videos thread has 80K views. 80,000! So any given video isn't going to be "unseen and buried." The thread in question is available IN THIS VERY FORUM AT THE -TOP- OF THE PAGE.

Do you know /why/ we have two dedicated video threads? Do you? I bet not, ShinobiMan, because you just make your drive-by video threads and speed off.

We have this pair of video threads to handle all of the videos because in the past REAL CONVERSATIONS were getting buried, pushed past the first page of each sub-forum by all of the "Hey guys, look at us talk about games using a camcorder! View my videos! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!" threads. Usually the most "conversation" these would generate would be along the lines of, "Nice video," and "Thanks, you should subscribe. <link>"

It is better this way. This is the way it is staying. This place is for discussions, not merely for promotions.

Merge-a-rooni.

(Please excuse my brusqueness. I've just had enough of this lately.)
    Alright man it's cool. I get it. Listen I don't want to cause trouble. I just see what I consider a flaw and I want to talk about it. See if others feel the same way. Truth is I don't think shuffling videos into this thread is the right answer. I think it stiffles the exploration of creativity in an internet that is mostly dominated by media and art.

Like there's an incredible mini series that Red Bull has produced on Japanese Game Composers. Its called Diggin In The Carts. Have you seen it? They actually flew out to Japan and made these beautiful videos, on something so niche! But we retrogamers love it and its special. Needs to be seen! I feel something like that deserves its own thread. It needs to be discussed and picked apart by the community at large.

I know you don't see it, but when videos get put in this thread, they go largely ignored. I have the statistics to back it up! Lol. Now maybe that's what you want, maybe you want to discourage video discussion and focus more on topic discussion. Ok. But it just seems a little counterproductive to the community as a whole.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 05-16-2015 at 09:49 AM.