Thread: 3D Vs AR: Did Nintendo focus on the 'wrong' aspect of the 3DS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3D Vs AR: Did Nintendo focus on the 'wrong' aspect of the 3DS?

Something that's been mulling over in my thoughts in the past few days. We know the 3DS has sold below expectations (though still very well), and there is already the much discussed multitude of reasons for this (Price, software, incorrect advertisement etc)

My thought is that perhaps Nintendo should have focused on the AR instead of 3D to help it set it apart.

3D is currently essentially unable to be effectively advertised. In addition, it's what the movie industry is currently obsessed with, but amongst consumers (I believe) the reaction is largely indifferent or involves complaints that it was unneeded in X film. We have yet to see a game, unlike arguably Avatar, that makes 3D a have in a game and it's hard to imagine one coming soon.

AR on the other hand can be easily advertised, can be used and seen by everyone, AR content can be easily shared and we've seen people around the world already go to the impressive lengths with the tech (giant AR cards, AR tattoos etc).

I was surprised when Nintendo the DS 2 was going to have 3D. Nintendo have never been one to jump on the bandwagon (CD, DVD, HD etc) so it seems somewhat un-Nintendo of them to jump on the 3D one.

Delving into a 'what if' scenario now, what if Nintendo instead launched the 'Nintendo Reality' (the design is still the same) with Pokemon Black/White incorporating AR into its gameplay. Already you have a system seller right there. Also, the name would probably help to differ it between the it and the original DSs in the eye of the general consumer.

I'm not saying the 3D tech should have been left out or that 3DS is/will fail, just perhaps the 3DS should have refocused on AR instead. Thoughts?
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

The AR is a neat little trick, but I would stick with the 3D being nintendo fell a little short on hardware considering a 6 year old handheld looks as good if not better on some games meaning the psp

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If PSP could have handled a passable SFIV port, then it would have got one awhile ago. So, I gotta call bullshit on that. Not that I like the 3DS port playability very much... It does look very good.

I honestly don't know what to make of the 3DS so far. Even when you get it in your hands, the concepts don't really snap-to like they did on DS after your first hands-on. It probably needs a broader spectrum of games and at least one fantastic game that isn't a port or a rehash-recycle title before the *lightbulb* factor is met.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    If PSP could have handled a passable SFIV port, then it would have got one awhile ago. So, I gotta call bullshit on that. Not that I like the 3DS port playability very much... It does look very good.
    If Capcom really REALLY wanted to they could have gone the (surprisingly playable) iOS Street Fighter 4 route and used pre-3D-rendered 2D sprites (ala Killer Instinct/Donkey Kong Country) on the PSP, but the market didn't really call for it considering the waning of the PSP userbase at this time.

I expect to see some iteration of Street Fighter IV on the NGP/Vita/Whatever it's called and it'll likely be an easy port over at that.

On topic, I think that "focus" on AR/3D isn't really a huge issue since the system CAN do both reasonably well. If Nintendo or 3rd party devs want to focus on AR, the system has the means to handle it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

I personally feel that the 3D route should be kept. The AR scene on the 3DS is not very portable (what with it requiring movement around a stationary card) so it would be hard for Nintendo to advertise it as a portable console.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too early to tell if Nintendo went wrong or not focusing on 3D or some other feature. What's the measurement for success vs. failure? There's very little chance it'll match or exceed the success of its predecessor, but I imagine they'll still make money off of the machine. It'll probably end up like the N64 or something. A solid, yet unspectacular machine in terms of sales performance.

As I believe Dave Jaffe pointed out, Nintendo likes to disrupt, but hates being disrupted (naturally). I'm most interested in how they'll adapt to these rapidly changing times. Nintendo could very well find themselves in the same position AOL did back in the day. As in, extremely powerful until no one needed their walled garden anymore.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played an AR demo at a pre-launch event and I wasn't particularly impressed. I didn't see how it would become particularly vital to actual, substantial (i.e. not tech demo-y, not minigame collection) games.

edit: Actually, two. Face Raiders, which was hardly exciting, and something involving pointing the camera at a special card and messing around with it.
    Last edited by j_factor; 06-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'm still not sure I care about all this 3D stuff. I had a 3DS on layaway but ended up canceling it and putting the money towards some games for consoles I own. I'll hold off on this console for a bit longer