Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Cafe Controller to Use 6-Inch Touch Screen (confirmed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Project Cafe Controller to Use 6-Inch Touch Screen (confirmed)

I'm not sure what to think of this. Unnecessary, maybe?

"Nikkei newspaper in Japan confirmed today what has long been rumored, that Nintendo's Project Café console would utilize a controller equipped with a touch screen panel and built in camera.

The new controller will include a six-inch touch screen which the newspaper says will allow tablet-like functionality. The device can also be used a portable game system. It will run on a rechargeable battery.

The camera will allow for games that will let players create avatars of themselves, similar to the 3DS Mii creator.

Nikkei (which is sort of like the Japanese version of the Wall Street Journal) referred to the console only as the "Wii's successor," and says the console was developed as a response to the growth of the tablet and smartphone market. Apparently, Nintendo's hope is that a controller that works as a self-sufficient handheld system will appeal to casual gamers. The console is slated for release in the "latter half of 2012.""

SOURCE: http://www.1up.com/news/Project-Cafe-Confirmed
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Ha, I wonder if this means people won't buy the 3DS because if they buy this console they get both a console and an additional free handheld in the package that just happens to be the console's controller?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) NostalgiaHunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm assuming they are scraping the 3DS? Thank god I didn't buy one like a chump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaHunter View Post
    So I'm assuming they are scraping the 3DS? Thank god I didn't buy one like a chump.
    Don't assume that at all. They'll fully support 3DS along with Wii, DS/DSi, Wii HD and the Wii HD handheld. They should come out with another add-on next year just to match Sega's stupidity in the early/mid-90s.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaHunter View Post

They're not that stupid. Since it needs to have some semblance of affordability and Nintendo will not sell at a loss; I would not expect the controller to be much more powerful than the GBA, or maybe the DS at the most.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I see promise in "take it and go" gaming that ties into the console titles. I like this idea. I'm sure that Nintendo will have this implemented in such a way that will ensure everyone will find it amazing and will sell shitloads at launch.

Likely myself included.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'm not sure what to think of this. Unnecessary, maybe?

"Nikkei newspaper in Japan confirmed today what has long been rumored, that Nintendo's Project Café console would utilize a controller equipped with a touch screen panel and built in camera.

The new controller will include a six-inch touch screen which the newspaper says will allow tablet-like functionality. The device can also be used a portable game system. It will run on a rechargeable battery.

The camera will allow for games that will let players create avatars of themselves, similar to the 3DS Mii creator.

Nikkei (which is sort of like the Japanese version of the Wall Street Journal) referred to the console only as the "Wii's successor," and says the console was developed as a response to the growth of the tablet and smartphone market. Apparently, Nintendo's hope is that a controller that works as a self-sufficient handheld system will appeal to casual gamers. The console is slated for release in the "latter half of 2012.""

SOURCE: http://www.1up.com/news/Project-Cafe-Confirmed
    I think you are misusing the word "confirmed" and calling Nikkei similar to the WSJ is a stretch. While they are both financial papers, the Nikkei prints rumors on a regular basis with regard to upcoming products and industrial projects. Having seen references to several companies I have worked for over the years in their pages, I can say with certainty that they are often incorrect. The paper may have "confirmed" it in an article, but they don't have a confirmation from Nintendo and they declined to cite a specific source. I suspect it might have some truth, but I would hesitate to over-analyze the revelation.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

So if this article is correct then this new controller would be like taking the VMU and PocketStation concepts to the "next" level. Interesting.

Depending on how this is utilized in games this could be the first Nintendo system that would interest me since the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think you are misusing the word "confirmed" and calling Nikkei similar to the WSJ is a stretch. While they are both financial papers, the Nikkei prints rumors on a regular basis with regard to upcoming products and industrial projects. Having seen references to several companies I have worked for over the years in their pages, I can say with certainty that they are often incorrect. The paper may have "confirmed" it in an article, but they don't have a confirmation from Nintendo and they declined to cite a specific source. I suspect it might have some truth, but I would hesitate to over-analyze the revelation.
    Their words, not mine. Voice your concerns over at 1UP!

Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they're coming out with, or something close.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I wonder if it will be compatible with Wiimotes.

I just can't imagine them abandoning that innovative tech so soon.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I can see a new controller with a tiny touch screen (possibly less than an inch in diameter), but nothing monsterous like a six incher, especially since the console will continue to support motion control, and Nintendo would never do something to cannibalise sales of their handheld systems. I call bullpoopie on this until Ninty's press conference. Now to watch in amusement as the internet goes apeshit.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm starting to wonder just what exactly the console is going to be. If the controller is essentially a standalone unit, it's possible that the console is more like a laptop dock than anything else.

I didn't expect the controller to have substantial integrated hardware beyond what you'd find in an older Android phone. Today's announcement seems to imply that it's a somewhat decent device on its own, or at least that's how I'm reading it. Tuesday is going to be interesting...

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just imagine a controller that can be used as a portable being used for some not so interesting game elements, like the pokewalker, where you get a bonus item or something for walking around with it. Could be a big fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*breathes deeply*

Ahhh... I love the smell of fresh gimmicks in the morning. Can't wait to not buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The way I envision it in my mind is that the screen on the controller just streams what the console sends it (With perhaps a remote play feature using the internet also being available).

I don't think it's going to be a self contained portable.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah I was just being sarcastic with my 3DS comment. Of course people will buy it just because it is Nintendo. It will probably sell instantly after Zelda and Mario come out for it. The Wii is so different I wouldn't be surprised if this new gaming machine wasn't a Wii 2 at all and Nintendo just keeps their Wii out as a separate line.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really concerned about this. Console controllers are already way too expensive. If you start adding other shit to them, the skies the limit for pricing.

Hopefully there's a lot of good single player games because I won't be buying additional controllers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been waiting for a controller like this since Dreamcast, and that was over ten years ago.
    POLL: Is Nintendo's touch screen Project Cafe controller a better innovation than the Wii motion controller?
    Vote: http://www.wepolls.com/r/326324

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait for E3 so that we can finally find out how much of all of this is true and whats nothing but rumors. Only 10 hours left until Microsoft's conference and roughly one day until Nintendo's.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone else get the feeling that the controller is really the console, and the router-looking thing is the "cafe?"

Everyone brings their laptops to the cafe...