Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project Cafe Controller to Use 6-Inch Touch Screen (confirmed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it can play Wii software, it also has the capability to easily play GameCube software. And this new controller has everything necessary for GameCube games (A digital pad, two analog sticks, two triggers, a shoulder button, a start button, and 4 face buttons). So I wouldn't give up hope just because they didn't say anything about it.

The GCN isn't important to most people these days. For a day where the focus is on the critical elements of a console to get people excited, it seems like it would be an easy feature to decide to not even mention. It doesn't matter to most, so why even mention it today when they're out to excite the general public?

At least they didn't come right out and say it won't have GCN compatibility. But even if it's true, at least this thing won't be doing anything fancy like upscaling Wii games, which was confirmed today. So beyond losing out on the space saving benefits of having three consoles in one and perhaps being able to ditch keeping some memory cards around and having to remember what's on each, at least we're not losing any perks by not being able to also play our GCN games on it. If this made Wii games look a lot nicer on a HDTV and had the capability to do the same with GCN software, I'd be much more upset about the lack of GCN support.

Edit - Seems like they might've announced it today. One site that I just found in a search claims that NoA's director of public relations, Marc Franklin, stated that the GameCube will not be compatible with the Wii U.

Let's hope he was just talking about GameCube accessories and they incorrectly made the leap from his statement to assume GCN software won't be playable. I really don't see why something that can play Wii software shouldn't be able to play GCN software (Let us use that tablet controller and give us virtual memory cards) unless it's an additional cost for the disc drive to support the mini DVD's the Cube used.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26632
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-08-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

To me the biggest disappointment is hands down the name. I hope to God anything with "Wii" in it doesn't make the final cut. What was wrong with Stream?

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I applaud Nintendo for doing their own thing and once again attempting to be creative. But I'm not sold on the FU(my name for it) just yet. They still have plenty of time to trickle out information before it's holiday 2012 launch. I'm still not buying it at release but I want to see what all this thing will be capable of.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    To me the biggest disappointment is hands down the name. I hope to God anything with "Wii" in it doesn't make the final cut. What was wrong with Stream?
    Stream was a poor name too.

You do realize the Wii is very close to having sold 90 million units (And shouldn't have any trouble surpassing 100 million relatively soon)? I can assure you that they're not about to just throw away the value they've built up with that brand.

Whatever the final name of the system is going to be, Wii is going to be a component of it in some way. Nothing else makes any business sense for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the very least, they've got a great rear-view mirror for racing games, provided there's no forced waggle steering.

The specs on Nintendo's site only list compatibility with 12cm discs, so it's safe to assume GC compatibility has been dropped.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Mostly I was puzzled that you even thought such a thing was going to happen. Thankfully, they put your thoughts of the controllers being the console to rest today (The 4 HD TV's and 4 consoles line made me believe that was what you were thinking). It's just a screen on the controller that streams what the system sends to it (Which I think is a pretty nice looking console from the pictures I saw).
    I didn't mean to imply anything for fact at the time... With some of their prototype games, dual display (where the main screen and the hand screen are totally different) was confirmed. So, It wasn't the full scale of 4, but at least 2 full screen players on one console. For a sketchy postulate, I think I hit there more than miss.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pikmin has been confirmed as a launch title!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Stream was a poor name too.

You do realize the Wii is very close to having sold 90 million units (And shouldn't have any trouble surpassing 100 million relatively soon)? I can assure you that they're not about to just throw away the value they've built up with that brand.

Whatever the final name of the system is going to be, Wii is going to be a component of it in some way. Nothing else makes any business sense for them.
    What's wrong with relying on the Nintendo brand? They're a company that has been around for more than 25 years in gaming and have sold millions of units of hardware! But oh, they have big success reaching soccer moms with one stupid sounding name and they have to stick to that forever?

I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on their "trying to appeal to everyone" schtick. You just can't appeal to everyone with that name, and they know it. Stream might not be the best name ever, but at least it was fairly neutral in terms of the perception it invoked in consumers. Wii U just sounds like baby-talk noises. No high school boy, or frat boy, or anyone else in the supposed core demographic wants to admit to playing something with that name, something Nintendo should have learned from the first Wii.

This just shows me that their supposed attempts to appeal to their old fans again was, at the very least, on the bottom of their priority list. The only way I'm going to get excited about this thing is if it winds up having a large number of games that make no use of motion gimmicks at all. Which may happen, I suppose, we'll just have to wait and see. But for right now I'm not impressed.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

That screen does nothing for me. If the console plays new first-party nintendo software in hd, I'm in.

Hardware features don't mean much to me. The ds did some innovative stuff, but I could have done without it. But it's got some great games.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The controller looks monstrous. I can't see how that would go over well in Japan where people tend to have smaller hands than Americans, and they're definitely not doing any favors for female gamers like myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    What's wrong with relying on the Nintendo brand? They're a company that has been around for more than 25 years in gaming and have sold millions of units of hardware! But oh, they have big success reaching soccer moms with one stupid sounding name and they have to stick to that forever?
    How is incorporating the Wii branding into this new console not sticking with the Nintendo brand? They're not phasing out their name in favor of just being known as Wii. What's wrong with relying on the value of both the Nintendo brand and the Wii brand? They're a business and that is what makes the most sense to do.

They're not going to intentionally throw out the Wii or DS name just because someone doesn't like it. They've sold too many units and have too much value attached to those two brands for Nintendo not to want to take advantage of that resource in the future.

We'd still see the Game Boy brand around if they hadn't been hedging their bets when the DS hit (They portrayed it as a 3rd pillar rather than a replacement for the GBA, so just in case it failed to take off they could quickly release a new Game Boy without appearing like they were reacting to a failure and quickly killing the DS off).

It's going to have to take a poor showing in this upcoming console generation or subsequent ones, or another situation like what went on with the Game Boy brand, for them to move away from the Wii branding. Too much value that they worked long and hard to build up is attached to that name for them just to kill it. Expecting/hoping to see the Wii name disappear for this upcoming generation would be like expecting Sony just to suddenly leave the Playstation name behind.

Just for the record though, I hate the the Wii name and hate the Wii U name even more.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-08-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At first, I was shocked at the stupid name. I understand it is branding. I am over the name, companies can name their products anything they want as long as the product is good.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmmm. Controller looks somewhat unergonomic and possibly expensive, but has the potential to add something to multiplayer games. Four Sword Adventures would be... Wait. What was that?

Nintendo Rep: Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won’t be able to buy the controller alone. Also, multiplayer games currently being created for the console are being designed to only use one single Wii U tablet controller, while other people play with regular Wiimotes.
    Katsuya Eguchi: We're considering our options with maybe two screens. (I consider multiple controller games to be) an interesting idea. I do understand that if the price is too high that would be an obstacle.
    Ummm... WTF? That can't possibly be right. Surely that Nintendo rep is on crack and Katsuya Eguchi's statement was simply a translation error... right?
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post

Ummm... WTF? That can't possibly be right. Surely that Nintendo rep is on crack and Katsuya Eguchi's statement was simply a translation error... right?
    It's odd, that's for sure. There is a video on the official Nintendo website interviewing developers about the new machine (people like Ken Lavine), and several of them talk about how amazing this is going to be for multiplayer. I don't think one tablet and 4 wiimotes will be amazing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm guessing since the Wii U is supposed to be so powerful, they probably want to add Gamecube games to the continuation of the virtual console if emulation will then be doable.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

So can I use this thing as a tablet and sit in my backyard while going online? Does this have its own wi-fi?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Belmont008's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    MrReeves008

No, from what I understand you are restricted to the room where the console is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

It's wireless HDMI with controls sent back to the console. Limited bandwidth, of course.

The ones on the floor had HDMI out, that may have been just for demo.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont008 View Post
    No, from what I understand you are restricted to the room where the console is.
    The playing of games is restricted to the room the console is in, but adding wi-fi would mean you can do other things with it, like going online. I don't see why not. SD support would be nice too.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a bummer, being restricted to the room where the box is...

I wanted to walk around my house with this thing.