Thread: Anyone know where to pickup a Famicom in the Tokyo area?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Anyone know where to pickup a Famicom in the Tokyo area?

Hey everyone,

I have a friend in the Tokyo area right now. She told me that if I could locate a Famicom for sale out there, that she would pick it up for me. Anyone know of some used retro stores out that way?

Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely Super Potato is the place where Famicom can be bought. But prices are ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How much would I expect to be shelling out?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

probably from any used game shop. Its not like the US where the game shops only carry current items, Japan shops have EVERYTHING. Figure it should cost right around $100.00 to get one shipped from Japan, so you should not pay more than $60.00 for a really mint system with no box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Most any Momotaro shop (if she is in the northern or western suburbs of Tokyo/Saitama) will have them for $20-30 (tested and guaranteed to work). Even better, tell her to go to a Hard-Off. A loose and untested console would be about $5. I forget which AC adapter you can use, but I THINK the model 1 Genesis AC adapter works with it. DO NOT USE AN NES AC ADAPTER! It just takes a standard RF switch, but you'll need to be on channel 95 or 96 in North America.

Any of the retro game shops in Akihabara or Nakano will have Famicoms, but they will be more expensive than the prices I gave above. Since your friend lives in Japan, she should not have to pay that sort of price. That is for tourists who don't have the time or a way to get to the more off the beaten path shops.

$60 for a Famicom in Japan is absolute rape, mint or not (unless it is mint CIB). Half that price is high end for a loose system.
    Last edited by Breetai; 06-04-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I can confirm a model 1 Genesis power supply works fine on a Famicom. I picked up a boxed AV Famicom back in 07 from a shop in Kyoto for about $60, but I recall seeing loose original model ones going for closer to $20-30 out at some podunk shop near Nara.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Most any Momotaro shop (if she is in the northern or western suburbs of Tokyo/Saitama) will have them for $20-30 (tested and guaranteed to work). Even better, tell her to go to a Hard-Off. A loose and untested console would be about $5. I forget which AC adapter you can use, but I THINK the model 1 Genesis AC adapter works with it. DO NOT USE AN NES AC ADAPTER! It just takes a standard RF switch, but you'll need to be on channel 95 or 96 in North America.
    Hey. Would you happen to know of someone willing to track down a white Sega Saturn in that price range? I'm OK with months long economy seamail or something to keep postage low. Normal shipping methods alone cost more than the system's value.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Hard Off/Book Off is probably the cheapest place to pick one up. Though if she has any interest in classic games herself, she should definitely check out Super Potato just to browse. I spent almost an entire afternoon there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnsha...7607330066564/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks guys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most any Momotaro shop (if she is in the northern or western suburbs of Tokyo/Saitama) will have them for $20-30 (tested and guaranteed to work).
    Hey guys, I just got ahold of my friend and she is asking me if you can give me anymore information about locating a Momotaro shop. She is in Hachioji and travels to Machida 5 times a week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    Hey guys, I just got ahold of my friend and she is asking me if you can give me anymore information about locating a Momotaro shop. She is in Hachioji and travels to Machida 5 times a week.
    She should be able to find their website. All of their locations are on it. Same with Hard-Off (which WILL be cheaper!!!).

Game shops like Momotaro or Geo (gay-O) are usually very close to train stations. Hard-Offs are more out of the way. There are some out near Hachioji and Machida.

For the person asking about a white Saturn, do you mean a white Saturn in the $30 price range? No chance... I mean that yes, they can be found for that price and cheaper, but with transportation fees, boxing fees and "service" fees (ummm... beer money?), you wouldn't find anyone willing to undersell themselves unless they are a close friend. I'd say $100 for a Saturn with a dozen common games (VF2, Daytona, Panzar Dragoon, etc.) is a sweet deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

She should be able to find their website. All of their locations are on it. Same with Hard-Off (which WILL be cheaper!!!).

Game shops like Momotaro or Geo (gay-O) are usually very close to train stations. Hard-Offs are more out of the way. There are some out near Hachioji and Machida.

For the person asking about a white Saturn, do you mean a white Saturn in the $30 price range? No chance... I mean that yes, they can be found for that price and cheaper, but with transportation fees, boxing fees and "service" fees (ummm... beer money?), you wouldn't find anyone willing to undersell themselves unless they are a close friend. I'd say $100 for a Saturn with a dozen common games (VF2, Daytona, Panzar Dragoon, etc.) is a sweet deal.
    Yeah I meant just the fully working system unit by that price. No cables or anything needed. Before any other postage, boxing, or whatever else. I don't have a contact in Japan unfortunately.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Yeah I meant just the fully working system unit by that price. No cables or anything needed. Before any other postage, boxing, or whatever else. I don't have a contact in Japan unfortunately.
    Anywhere from 100yen-1000yen for just the console, untested and depending on condition, at a place like Hard-Off. Upwards of 3000yen or more depending on condition, give or take, at somewhere like Super Potato.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Breetai,

Do you happen to have link to their site? I tried www.Momotaro.com and www.Momotaro.co.jp. One of them redirected to a sake site, and the other looked like it was some sort of industrial/shipping company.

Also, she said she knew of a Hard Off/Book Off place. She is going to swing in there, but would prefer to go the Momotaro route, because of the guarantee.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Anywhere from 100yen-1000yen for just the console, untested and depending on condition, at a place like Hard-Off. Upwards of 3000yen or more depending on condition, give or take, at somewhere like Super Potato.
    Not too bad. I kind of figured that. Now for the matter of finding a contact. Hmm. Might be users in this board who could.
    Lum fan.