Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E3 2011 - General Thread

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with multiple-viewer full-screen 3D is that the framerate is going to be cut in half. It's also a step further away from standardization of 3D hardware...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Wii U? The U stands for Underwhelming.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else see them draw the Dreamcast logo on one of the Tekken character's faces?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I have to say is, is that Nintendo just won over E3. I expected a lot of the things shown by MS and Sony, but N's conference today was like getting rear-ended by a semi at night in terms of surprise. Bravo, Ninty.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii U looks like a GamePark system.

Selling gaming accessories. Click

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Dear lord that controller is huge.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Wii U? The U stands for Underwhelming.
    Revolution becomes Wii - Cafe becomes Wii U. Just added a letter to an existing product... They are turning into Apple.

Also, they're obviously serious about staying up on top. They're even willing to make a deal with EA, otherwise known as, the devil.

All that aside, I'm going to buy the damn thing. It's certain now.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

When it comes to the ease of use, the Nintendo's "Wii U" controller is probably the worst "traditional" controller designs ever developed. You know how uncomfortable that's going to be controlling most games that utilize all buttons? Never going to buy an Armored Core on that system, that's for certain.

Other than that. It's a somewhat decent idea. As the console itself can be used as both a portable console as well as home console. You're going to a friends and want to play the Wii U? Take it with you. It's a hit against both consoles and portables as it's both, but the only draw is that it still has to be hooked up to a power outlet more than likely. I'll be buying one so I can use Wii U, Wii, and GC games on a single console. I really wonder how many people will purchase this after how overhyped and how much of a disappointment the Wii was.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    All I have to say is, is that Nintendo just won over E3. I expected a lot of the things shown by MS and Sony, but N's conference today was like getting rear-ended by a semi at night in terms of surprise. Bravo, Ninty.
    How so? I want all the 3DS games and Zelda for the Wii, but where were the new Wii games? Where were the new DS games for that matter or even the new games for the WiiU? The best they could do was an announcement of a new Lego game? The WiiU looks like a bulky oversized piece of unecessary hardware. I'm also not exactly clear what the "console" actually is. Based on the fact that they only showed a Wii on its side and a longer bar above the TV, it appears that the remote is in fact the console and it basically streams video output to the TV in HD, essentially making it a glorified sling box. It also appears that only one can be used at a time with the other players having to use the Wii controllers, so why would one player get a screen and not the others? I'm sorry, but Nintendo really lost me with this one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need to see some decent videos of this thing, preferably a download-version of that bird and koi demo. If that's real-time rendering at 1080p, I'm impressed.

Wiimote compatibility is an excellent move. I'm guessing the WiiU controller is going to run $80+, but everyone's already got a few Wiimotes sitting around.

Again though, game lineup doesn't impress me (yet). What they showed looked pretty rough, not much visual polish. Tekken looks pretty undetailed.

I need to see hardware specs. The E3.Nintendo.com site is down for me.

Note that Iwata clarified what the controller is. There's no processing hardware in it, and it does not function independently from the console.

I know it echoes the Wii announcement, but I'm disappointed that we didn't see an actual console on display. The GameSpot feed was kinda blocky, but it looked like a Wii with the front end rounded off and a somewhat more open disc slot. Kind of looked like the Retro Duo...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, here we go.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    When it comes to the ease of use, the Nintendo's "Wii U" controller is probably the worst "traditional" controller designs ever developed. You know how uncomfortable that's going to be controlling most games that utilize all buttons? Never going to buy an Armored Core on that system, that's for certain.

Other than that. It's a somewhat decent idea. As the console itself can be used as both a portable console as well as home console. You're going to a friends and want to play the Wii U? Take it with you. It's a hit against both consoles and portables as it's both, but the only draw is that it still has to be hooked up to a power outlet more than likely. I'll be buying one so I can use Wii U, Wii, and GC games on a single console. I really wonder how many people will purchase this after how overhyped and how much of a disappointment the Wii was.
    Actually, it's not that simple. It has to be in contact with some kind of base station at all times, so it's not portable at all other than within the range of your TV/base station. In theory, I suppose if they make it Wi-Fi compatible, if you had access to your home station through remote access, it could be pretty portable. Although, that would really just make it a lot more like a Slingbox.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Only things Nintendo surprised me with and therefore sold me on is that there's going to be a new Smash Bros. game, and as strange as it sounds, Lego City Adventures could end up being a lot of fun.

So I guess they sold me on the new console there, but it was due to the strength of the software...it certainly wasn't due to all of the things they touted about the controller. It's not really bringing anything revolutionary to the table, as the Vita will be doing the big -> small screen stuff too. Most of us here likely have dedicated displays for our gaming.

I think it's the bastard child of a DSiXL and a VMU.

I knew I was going to get a 3DS when Mario and Kid Icarus dropped, but I knew they were coming, so those were anti-climactic for me.

And I think I'm the only person(besides VACRMH) who just doesn't care for Zelda post-SNES.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 06-07-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This has to be one of the least exciting e3's in recent memory. I was really hyped coming into this e3, knowing that Nintendo had new hardware, and thinking that maybe... just maybe, Microsoft would show a sneak peak at some new hardware, but man....

Normally, when you watch these e3 conferences, you'll see a trailer for a brand new megaton type game that nobody knew about. Something like a Half-Life 3 or a GTA V or something. I mean, sure... we know that those games are going to be made, but still, had they had Gabe Newell or the Houser brothers walk on stage for any one of these press conferences, then it would have been a huge deal. Or maybe if they had key members of Bungie walk on stage at the PS3 conference to show off their new multiplatform game. Or maybe have West and Zampella come out and show off Respawn Entertainments new game.

But no.... Nada....

The most exciting thing that I saw at all 3 press conferences was the fact that there is a new Sly Cooper game coming

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Only thing Nintendo surprised me with and therefore sold me on is that there's going to be a Smash Bros. game.
    Yeah, I was shocked when I got out of bed today and saw that the sun was shining. j/k
    Last edited by WCP; 06-07-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The U controller is the most ridiculous gaming device I've seen in years...possibly ever. Who the hell wants to hold on to that thing? Nintendo repeatedly mentioned how all Wii accessories would work with the Wii U...no kidding! No one will be using that monstrosity after an hour or so. God, what an embarrassment. Can't wait to see the Nintendo Mafia spin this one positive. Absolutely awful.

Hey everybody...I have a low-rez iPad that can't be used more than 15 feet away from my TV. It's the future! Lol.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 06-07-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: stupid phone keyboard
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just worried about the 3DS. I really don't see what's going to carry it through the next few years. After seeing the Vita, the low resolution looks terrible in comparison. Worse than comparing DS to PSP.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

No, you are mistaken. The Wii U tablet isn't portable, it merely functions with the console (Which they only showed a little bit of on E3.Nintendo.com right after the conference). You can't take it with you.

With that being said, why is everyone hating on the Wii U opening lineup? They announced Smash Bros, Ninja Gaiden 3, Darkstalkers 2, Lego City, New Super Mario Bros, I mean it's not awful.

Only thing about is wondering how much the Wii U is going to cost. Looks very impressive though.

3DS is going to rock though, I think that was definitely the thing I want to get the most from Nintendo. Super Mario, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus, Starfox, definitely going to be an exciting system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They should call it "Wii-Ping" (as in, weeping) for all the dedicated Nintendo fans The Big N loves to stomp. All three main pressers didn't offer much to me, but Nintendo's direction is most troubling and unnecessary. Replacement controllers will probably be pretty expensive.

It seems like all three console makers, esp. Sony and Nintendo are operating in a vacuum. They just don't want to acknowledge that the traditional market is receding in the face of social games and app games.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I'm just worried about the 3DS. I really don't see what's going to carry it through the next few years. After seeing the Vita, the low resolution looks terrible in comparison. Worse than comparing DS to PSP.
    The 3DS should be alright for two reasons IMO...

1.) Superior 1st party software
    2.) Major price cut (if it happens)
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So was Skyward Sword the only Wii game they mentioned? I suppose it's time for the abrupt end of the platform, Wii hardly knew thee.

I have a feeling that I'll be selling my Wii and 360 to buy a WiiU at launch, assuming the price isn't terrible. If it's backwards compatible, I doubt there will be any reason to keep a Wii. Worst case, it's not GCN compatible, and I finally have a reason to buy that darn component cable.