Thread: PS2 The Keisatsukan, the camera search saga. USB Geniuses Welcome!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 The Keisatsukan, the camera search saga. USB Geniuses Welcome!

Hello all,

Well, my back is to the wall.

I only just discovered the awesometown known as "The Keisatsukan" (aka Police 911 / Police 24/7) 6 months ago, and I have been trying to bring the experience home to the PS2 ever since. Unfortunately as some may know, you need the usb camera known as the damn elusive Konami Capture Eye. Now at the very start I was only looking for the real deal, however 6 months is more than enough time to throw in the towel and begin to search for alternatives.

Just for completeness, and to dispell a few myths:

NO Guncon (1,2,3) will work with this game.
    The Original PS1 Hyper Blaster WILL work.
    A multi mode gun with a Guncon1/Guncon2/Blast Mode WILL work, in Blast Mode.

And the above are not assumptions, as I've seen other people do in other places, these are tested facts. Ok, moving on

Now to begin, with references cited, this is the best/most related information I have found and saved in my travels:

First One;

thread titled "police 24/7 usb camera?" on theisonews

"hey as requested.. my web cam is the D-Link DSB-C100 USB Digital Viedo Camera.... "

"only OmniVision Technologies, Inc chipsets based webcams work with this game."

"USB Cameras compatible with Police 24/7:

Aiptek HyperVcam Home/ Mobile Amitech AWK-300 TEVion MD 9308 D-Link DU-C300 D-Link/Link AV LVC100 Hawking Tech UC-110 Creative Labs WebCam3, WebCam Plus CT6840 Samsung Anycam MPC-M10 Mtekvision Zeca MV402 MediaForte PC Vision 300 Terratec TerraCam Pro OmniVision OV51+ Trust SpaceCam 200/300 Lifetec LT 9388 BestBuy EasyCam U TCE NetCam 310u Medion MD9388 Webeye 200B"

"I`v got a cheep ass Trust Spacec@m 200, don`t know why it did`nt pick it up strait away, but it worked oki once i`d set it up. i hate gun games, but had to check it out."

Second One;
    thread titled "Police 24/7 for PS2 - How to get the camera to work?" on this nice site

In this thread, the same compatibility list as theisonews is quoted, and no alternative camera has been confirmed to be working.

Third One;
    heath's blog - Police 911

This dude is great, when i was searching for a nice review of the game, this one shone through. However he does stipulate that he has the found the reports of compatible cameras to be untrue, but hasnt cited any particular examples.

Now, according to the apparent "compatibility list" (which I still have not found the origins of) and the 2 (assuming non-troll) confirmed webcam reports, we are dealing with an Omnivision OV511+ chipset camera.

Ok, so I've gone about some research and ended up here:

Linux OVCam Drivers - List of known devices

I went about cross referencing the "compatibility list" with the above resource, into a spreadsheet:

See inside attached zip "Apparent Compatible Cameras.xlsx"

The only camera confirmed from this list was the Trust Sp@cecam 200, OV511+, An OV7620 sensor, and device ID# of 0.

I whittled down the huge list from the ovcam site using certain criteria and ended up with this list:

See inside attached zip "OVCAM_ORG_Whittled_Down.xlsx"

Now the only confirmed camera from this list was the D-Link DSB-C100, OV511+, OV6620 sensor, and device ID# of 0.

I searched eeebay for just about every single camera from these lists, and aside from the DSB-C100 (which as per the spreadsheet may have a 50% chance of not having an omnivision chipset) the one camera i found was the Intel me2cam, OV511+, OV6620 sensor, device ID unknown as per ovcam site, and an alternative vendor id (VID 0x0813, PID 0x0002)

Prior to ordering I did a little digging about the vendor id thing (the me2cam is the only OV511+ camera to have an alternative vendor id). *Gratuitous assumption about to follow* After a little reading, as far as I could tell, the vendor id only seems to affect an operating systems ability to identify the device in order to match a driver to it. Seeing as The Keisatsukan only uses theoretically "1" camera, i made the assumption that the driver matching process probably does not exist.

I can now confirm that this camera does NOT work. So despite a matching chipset and sensor to the D-Link DSB-C100, something else must be amiss. Perahps the device id# is different or the vendor id is messing things up. According the the "compatibility list" a few of the cameras have device id's other than 0, so i'm usure of the necessity of that bit.

If someone has a Konami Capture Eye and is able to run it through some sort of identification software, perhaps we can move a step closer to finding a sure fire substitute to this rare animal. Theres actually a few for sale in japan, but none of the sellers are willing to ship overseas to me.

I will continue looking, if i find another DSB-C100 for sale, I may even email the seller and ask if they could run it through a program like USBDeview.exe and confirm its in fact an OV511+ and then grab it.

This is assuming that all the above forum posters are on the level, if they aren't then I guess this post can be disregarded lol.

Any input would be great guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wnet down this path a couple of years ago. My ultimate conclusion is that the only camera that worked for me is the Konami Capture Eye. I had to use a front light on the player to get it to work well. I never did get the uk release of the game to work with a camera. I assume it has something to do with needing to pal fix the game, but I didn't try too hard.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

howdy 98pacecar

do you still have the capture eye? any chance i could ask you for 2 minutes of work from you by plugging it into your pc and posting the results from the attached program?

i do realise i could be chasing a dead end, but right now i have nothing, so i just wanna experiment a little.

using the me2cam below, just need all of the info on the right side...

you would rule in large proportions if you could help out!