Thread: SNES Board in a Super Famicom Shell?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES Board in a Super Famicom Shell?

Hi,

I'm the recent proud new owner of a boxed Super Famicom. Upon plugging it in and testing it out for the first time I discovered that it suffers from the fairly common "vertical lines" / interference problem in the video output.

I still own my original SNES, and I've taken it apart twice before, so I was wondering if the SNES board will fit inside a Super Famicom shell, as well as connecting to the controller ports / power button without any modding. I've seen pictures of what I think is a Super Famicom board online and they seem to be identical, but I thought I would try to save myself the trouble of taking them both apart first by asking here.

I do plan on buying another loose Super Famicom at a later date just to have around for a spare / using Retr0brite on, and I much prefer the look of the SFC as well as its controllers over the US version.

If this has been asked before please forgive me, I did try the forum search before posting.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

Edit: I did just remember that the DC input on the SNES is just a wee bit larger in diameter than the SFC, I suppose that's probably going to be the only issue if the boards are the same size/shape. I don't really feel like modding the case on my SFC as long as it's my only one.
    Last edited by Boltorano; 06-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems that at least in my case, this is not possible. My SNES is one of the early versions, with the sound chip cartridge that fits in a slot on top of the board. My SFC however, seems to be a later version that does not have as much shielding and the sound chip is on-board. The SNES board would not completely fit into the bottom of the shell, with or without the bottom shield plate that was missing on the SFC, and the stands for the sound cartridge were not at the right level. Additionally, screw holes in the back did not quite match up so it was impossible to properly screw it down.

Not only that, but my SFC refuses to power on now, I took the usual static precautions, I just hope I didn't fry it completely. Time to tear it down again and see if I missed something important.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After doing some research I've decided that I've probably blown the fuse. Kind of sucks considering I just bought it and I don't know how to solder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you can swap the board,I have a ntsc snes motherboard in a Pal snes case.
    I did have to make a few new holes with a dremel but after that it fit just right,also
    my snes is of the the first ones with the sound chip cartridge.

You should learn how to solder.
    Last edited by Pikkon; 06-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The snes takes a 1.5 amp picofuse. It's easy to solder them in, even if you've never soldered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes this works perfectly fine, I swapped my rev 1 US SNES mobo into a Japanese SFC shell about 10 years ago because the SFC had bad video RAM. The DC power supplies are different though, so you'll have to keep on using the SNES supply.