Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Default Any Master System modders?

Hey I'd like my PAL SMS2 upgraded. The bare minimum is permanent mod to NTSC. Then at least it should be usable on my CRT with a correct RF box.

Though I prefer RGB output (maximum AV quality the system can possibly offer) and 50/60hz switch. ENG/JPN sounds nice too if SMS2 supports that, for the handful of games with differences in Japanese mode.

Also take extra care the cart slot is properly functional. I'm NOT going to happy to see known working games fail to load.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

You do realize that there are extremely few NTSC capable TVs that can accept RGB right (HDMI and component do not count)? Finding a DIN->SCART cable would be the first start if you've got a PAL60 capable TV. Adding in the RGB lines to the DIN connector on the SMS is the easy part.

EDIT:

I take that back:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/sms2-av.htm

Slightly more intensive a process with a few capacitors but nothing complicated.
    Last edited by APE992; 06-12-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yeah consoles use difficult to find special connectors. Of course a last resort would be hard wiring my SMS1 RGB cable...

Well PAL60 is less work if I'm able to run it. Not sure what in-game differences that'd have (do SMS games get annoying black borders in PAL mode?). NTSC takes some kind of additional modding as I understand.

My SMS2 is an RF only model. So it has an RCA connector like NES, not a DIN.
    Last edited by theclaw; 06-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Lum fan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done the PAL to NTSC conversion mod in many PAL Sega Master Systems (besides doing the 60hz mod to run at full speed) for me and other member at Sega-16, its quite complex I must say...But afterwards, everything is in color including the awful RF modulator signal...

§ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

No question I need modding done. I've made up my mind there. Otherwise I wouldn't have made this topic. The specifics of what to do, by whom, etc, is open.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    No question I need modding done. I've made up my mind there. Otherwise I wouldn't have made this topic. The specifics of what to do, by whom, etc, is open.
    If you're within the US I can probably handle the mods but I have neither a RGB SCART cable for the DIN connector (same one used on the first SMS model) nor a TV capable of SCART or RGB input. I'd be sending it back blind but given how straight forward a mod it is I don't doubt it can be done the first time successfully. Could run the RGB through an encoder chip and run that to my display for testing. If anything was amiss it'd be clear as day.

Now 50/60hz is a slam dunk, especially if you don't want/need the RF modulator in there. Can use the switch inside for the 50/60hz mod to keep it looking factory fresh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Sure I'm in the US. Probably remember that Gamecube of mine. Might get more work from me later, you've heard about my ideas on the to-do list.

But where are you going to find an SMS DIN connector? I don't have a spare to provide.
    I guess the RF modulator won't matter much. Whatever works better. RGB or even svideo crushes anything it could possibly do.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Sure I'm in the US. Probably remember that Gamecube of mine. Might get more work from me later, you've heard about my ideas on the to-do list.

But where are you going to find an SMS DIN connector? I don't have a spare to provide.
    I guess the RF modulator won't matter much. Whatever works better. RGB or even svideo crushes anything it could possibly do.
    This
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1280-ND

Looks like the same part that mmmonkey used here:

I'm assuming the SMS1/Genesis connectors are the same across regions, I'd be sure to check before I did any actual cutting/purchasing. There are other connectors of that same type available that would fit inside the SMS2 to help preserve a factory look. I do have an OLD composite/mono A/V cable for the SMS1/Genesis that I can use to make sure the connector is at least the same size/shape assuming there are no regional differences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    I've done the PAL to NTSC conversion mod in many PAL Sega Master Systems (besides doing the 60hz mod to run at full speed) for me and other member at Sega-16, its quite complex I must say...But afterwards, everything is in color including the awful RF modulator signal...

That's certainly the exterior I got. Aside from less dust than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    This
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=CP-1280-ND

Looks like the same part that mmmonkey used here:

I'm assuming the SMS1/Genesis connectors are the same across regions, I'd be sure to check before I did any actual cutting/purchasing. There are other connectors of that same type available that would fit inside the SMS2 to help preserve a factory look. I do have an OLD composite/mono A/V cable for the SMS1/Genesis that I can use to make sure the connector is at least the same size/shape assuming there are no regional differences.
    Well any DIN isn't going to *quite* be a factory look. Heh. Most SMS2s never had one. Except maybe that supposed French RGB version.
    Lum fan.