Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest EGM article sparks question: buy new or used?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Latest EGM article sparks question: buy new or used?

I just finished reading the latest EGM and one of the writers entered a Gamestop to purchase a game. After a series of sales questions we all are familiar with (preorder, update your card, etc.) the person was offered the chance to buy a used copy for $5 less. The writer went off on the sales person, telling them that he wanted to support the industry.

I know similar topics like this cropped up before but I think this is a bit different. Do you try and buy games new (even at sales) to support developers to continue to make the games you like or do you take the opportunity to buy used from "retail" used game chains like Gamestop to save some cash?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This debate has popped up many times before. My view on used games really hasn't changed, I don't see it as wrong or a problem if someone wants to buy a game used to save a few bucks. In fact, I think this market is extremely helpful when I'm trying to sell a newly released game I just didn't care for, and want to recoup some of my investment in that game. Lately though I've noticed my personal buying habits changing... I seek out discounted new games if I want to save a buck, mostly because a lot of them come with one-time-use-only codes. Buying used games through Gamefly is one route I've gone though, since they send you a used game, but NEW packaging, so you are pretty much certain to get an unused code.

As far as supporting the industry, the way I see it, a publisher/developer already got their cut on the initial sale of the game. So what if it gets bought/sold 100x after the fact? That's the consumer's right.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I almost always buy new. Any used games I buy are no longer sold at retail.

As far as supporting the industry, the way I see it, a publisher/developer already got their cut on the initial sale of the game. So what if it gets bought/sold 100x after the fact? That's the consumer's right.
    When it comes to the online passes that EA is now selling, I agree with you completely. However, I'm with the buying new to support the developer over paying a company like Gamestop $5 less than the retail value, especially considering that $5 less is usually equal to what you can get it for new at a place like Amazon.com.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I know similar topics like this cropped up before but I think this is a bit different. Do you try and buy games new (even at sales) to support developers to continue to make the games you like or do you take the opportunity to buy used from "retail" used game chains like Gamestop to save some cash?
    The way it's phrased, this question is awfully loaded. I haven't read the article but when you say "went off" how do you mean? Because it sounds awfully presumptuous to criticize a retailer (particularly a clerk at a single store) for employing a basic principle of the first sale doctrine, a doctrine anybody who owns anything values whether they know it or not.

I think it's a perfectly respectable position to support the industry by only buying new. But I equally think that people who take that stance should not look down their noses at people who shop with more frugality.

Me? It largely depends on timing. If I'm looking to buy a game that's relatively old and can find an ample supply of used copies in near pristine condition at a significant discount then I'll buy used. If it's a game I plan to buy within the launch window I'll always spring for new. The $5 doesn't especially entice me.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just for the record - If the person wants to support the industry, then:

a. They themselves may never sell any game they have bought, ever. Not to a retailer, not to a friend, not on ebay, not at a garage sale. If they're done with a game, they toss it or keep it in the closet. By selling it they are removing a sale from the companies.

If we truly want to support the industry, then we must shut down all auctions sites, close down the buying and sell forums, craigslist, and the like. The only people that can sell any product are the retailer and the publisher, and they must all be new.

Most people can't grasp that retailers used stock comes from the gamers - the retailer is nothing but a middle-man. If there was no demand for someone to buy back games instantly from a consumer (without auction fees, etc) then the used game market would not exist.

Side Note: I find it funny that a person who gets their review copies for free is bitching about supporting the industry. Wanna show your support? Buy all the work copies from retail.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Don't they usually get review copies BEFORE the game goes on sale?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I almost always buy new. Any used games I buy are no longer sold at retail.

When it comes to the online passes that EA is now selling, I agree with you completely. However, I'm with the buying new to support the developer over paying a company like Gamestop $5 less than the retail value, especially considering that $5 less is usually equal to what you can get it for new at a place like Amazon.com.
    I'm in agreement with you as well. I think most gamers find gamestop's practices regarding used product to be in poor taste. But its also up to the consumer to be somewhat educated in the going price for a game and shop around. Gamestop certainly counts on the immediate gratification angle when selling their wares. I ran into an example over the weekend... I went to GS looking for a copy (any copy) of Mass Effect 1. All they had was a beat up, scratched up used disc in a waterstained case... for $19.99. I bought the 2-disc platinum hits version new on Amazon for $15 instead. Whether or not Bioware sees a dime of that $15, I have no idea. But I sure as heck wasn't going to pay full retail for a beater that GS undoubtedly bought for a few bucks in store credit.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

By the time I buy a game it's usually out of print anyway, buying a copy new won't get the store to place more orders for additional copies. I'll still buy new as long as the price is right.

I'm kind of tired that I'm being expected to buy every single item new to support an industry or else it will go under. It's like you have to buy every single game, music album, movie, TV show box set, car, grocery product, etc all new as soon as they're released or else I'm not supporting the industry and they'll go bankrupt. Last I checked I don't have infinite money, I'd rather just focus on getting what I really want rather than spend full price on stuff I'm just marginally interested in. I don't think these companies really care whether I can pay the bills or not, they just want my money. Plus I'd rather help out another person by buying something used directly from them(craigslist) as they could probably use the money more, I know I'd like people to buy stuff from me I don't want anymore rather than me being stuck with it taking up space.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, going off on the person behind the counter is bad form, no matter what.

I'll buy used if the game is in good shape, or if I can't find it new.

The $5 discount is something that bugs people, but you can look at it a different way. That $5 is probably about 10-20% less, and that's a good deal. If the game is beat up, and missing a manual, well, that isn't a good deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't buy used from any store unless there's no other option. I don't mind getting stuff used, I'd just prefer to buy from other gamers directly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'll buy 3 months later when the game is half off, thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I only buy if it's below $29, new or used, unless the game is really rare. I bought Street Fighter IV for about $54 new and regretted paying that much, especially because of the dramatic price drop that later occurred. If I'm going to spend over $50 for a game, I'm not going to stop at a used copy to save $5, I'm getting new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post

a. They themselves may never sell any game they have bought, ever. Not to a retailer, not to a friend, not on ebay, not at a garage sale. If they're done with a game, they toss it or keep it in the closet. By selling it they are removing a sale from the companies.

If we truly want to support the industry, then we must shut down all auctions sites, close down the buying and sell forums, craigslist, and the like. The only people that can sell any product are the retailer and the publisher, and they must all be new.

Most people can't grasp that retailers used stock comes from the gamers - the retailer is nothing but a middle-man. If there was no demand for someone to buy back games instantly from a consumer (without auction fees, etc) then the used game market would not exist.

Side Note: I find it funny that a person who gets their review copies for free is bitching about supporting the industry. Wanna show your support? Buy all the work copies from retail.
    OMG this, give this man a god damn medal NOAW!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't bought a game at release since Soul Caliber 2 on the Gamecube and I only pre ordered it to get the Ivy T-Shirt. I have though shopped with friends at GS and they'll normally just buy a new copy because a used one is only 2 dollars cheaper. Not really that big of a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually buy new unless it's something super rare thats no longer in print. And I also usually wait until the game has been heavily discounted so that I don't spend too much. That is my normal basic outlook on this topic. However, things have changed alittle this generation.

They always say that the best way to speak to the developers/publishers is thru your wallet and I agree. Thats why I don't mind supporting certain companies by buying their game new upon release. But then you have the other side of the coin--developers that I don't mind not supporting because they didn't give their all to my preferred version of a game. Sometimes it's small like Batman: AA getting an extra playable character on the PS3 version. Thats no biggie but lately it seems that many of EA's games are also getting free games thrown in for the PS3 versions that are not included on the 360 versions. Perhaps this is due to the additional space on the PS3's bluray disc or maybe they just want to show Sony extra love.

Keep in mind that I have all three current gen systems but I prefer to play third party games on my 360. It's cool that PS3 gamers(myself included) get all these little extras but for people who prefer playing on their 360's(or who only have a 360) they have been missing out on more and more content(Batman:AA, Dante's Inferno, Medal of Honor, UFC 2010, etc). So in that case I would actually rather buy one of those games used rather than new. That way I'd get to play it and wouldn't be supporting the developers/publishers choice of short changing my preferred version.

Granted, I have yet to do this but it's one way where I would definitely choose used over new. Of course, some of the developers/publishers would still get the last laugh because more and more games are coming out where used copies are missing the online portion(project $10 and such). So in that case, if I really wanted a game like UFC 2010(where the 360 version is missing exclusive fighters and 5 free fights) then I would most likely wait until it went all the way down to $10 or less to get it new. But for games like Dante's Inferno(which has no online multiplayer) I could buy that used and not feel bad about not supporting the developers/publishers.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I just finished reading the latest EGM and one of the writers entered a Gamestop to purchase a game. After a series of sales questions we all are familiar with (preorder, update your card, etc.) the person was offered the chance to buy a used copy for $5 less. The writer went off on the sales person, telling them that he wanted to support the industry.

What is the difference between new and used at Gamestop? I stopped buying new games there because they always came opened up. I buy new on Amazon, Newegg, and at stores like Best Buy because at least the product is still sealed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Taking anything out on someone who's just working their job based on their employer's business model is a dick move, period.

That's not how you promote change. That's pumping your own stock.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always by my games new but after I am done with them I usually trade them back in to play new games. I only keep the games that I think I will play again or will eventually become classics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post

This whole analogy falls apart if the game isn't available at retail anymore...which is probably the case with most non-Gamestop used game sales.

Besides, who the hell buys used anymore when new copies can be had for $20-$30 off a few weeks after release? Amazon or nothing IMO. That and the "buy new or pay extra to play multiplayer" penalty codes work.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While this exchange between the writer and the store employee is pretty silly for reasons others have expressed, I do like to buy new whenever I can.

It's nice to know that devs are seeing the profits (especially if it's a digital download purchase).

I avoid used if for no other reason when buying physical media for my collection that I can't stand visibly "handled" game cases/manuals.

If it's absolutely unavoidable only where I can inspect the merchandise and almost never at Gamestop where their god-awful price labels almost always damage the game sleeve and/or paper insert.

When I do buy PS3 games used I'm actually a big fan of buying GameFly's used stock. BluRay discs are nearly impossible to scratch, they price high-profile stuff under $20 pretty quickly (almost always months before the same titles drop that low at GameStop) and you always get a mint-fresh case & manual that was only ever opened and shelved for storage so DLC offers included are typically still in-tact.

And I can count on one hand the number of games that I've purchased for my collection in the past 20 years that I've sold/traded in.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-13-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"