Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest EGM article sparks question: buy new or used?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Yeah those DLC codes are like never there when I buy used from Gamestop.

Sealed all the way.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Yeah those DLC codes are like never there when I buy used from Gamestop.

Sealed all the way.
    Ive given up buying new though as with the big chain stores breaking seals on games too many people either a. ruin the insides or b. take things out of the covers.

If I'm going to be missing stuff then I might as well buy used.
    Last edited by Emuaust; 06-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

It depends. If its a small company or one that is struggling then yes I buy new. If its some big hit title and I need to save some cash I buy used. Course now they have these passcodes and ways of making you pay for buying used so...

regardless I want what is best for my sad little wallet most game companies are doing just fine at least compared to me when it comes to finances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are factors to everything on this. I don't mind buying used copies of games, unless they are missing everything! The biggest problem I have with Game Stop is that 90% of their used stuff is usually disc only in a generic case. This also mostly lends itself to scratched to Hell discs as well. I have been criticized for my view o0n this, but I, like everyone else, loves a deal and if I can save money, I will. Last time I was in Game Stop, I was looking for Forza 2 and Quake 4. They had both games used, but not a box or instructions anywhere in sight. The clerk justified it to me by saying, "We usually don't get the case and instructions in because it is difficult for people to keep something in great shape when it's that old." Nothing against the clerk, but the fact that a game that came out, what, six years ago or less is old just really makes me wonder. Especially when said game is for a current generation system. I have always hated Game Stops used game policies. I have bought a game or two used from them though. I'd personally rather use gamers I know and trust.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I e-mailed a response to EGM on the last two commetaries in this issue.

The author was clearly not a Gamestop regular. There have been so many complaints about Gamestop that I think he could have done better. The used game market did not start yesterday and the new game market has grown to previously unimagined levels. He really does not have a case. The reccession has likely hit many developers as well and it seems to be maginifying this perceived problem. It seems likely that digital distribution will eventually dominate and the devleopers will need to cry about something else. Most of the employees at these developement studios get paid well enough and have been for years.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I buy new if it's a game I really want, like L.A. Noire or Child of Eden. I'll play those games enough to basically ensure that I'll get my money's worth out of them.

Though, with the online passes that are becoming prevalent, I've seen newer games going used for $44.99 or less. That's now I snagged both Mortal Kombat, Shift 2 and Portal 2: all used. I even got lucky on the online passes and DLC crap and came out with codes for each game that were unused. I have the powerup card, so I've got the extra discount, so buying used benefits me.

There are enough people out there buying the AAAAAAAA games new so the developer isn't hurting as bad as they say, especially not big studios like EA and Ubisoft. If the game is a small title that has garnered my interest, I have no issues buying new to show my support for the innovation or initiative to bring the title to market.

If only I could keep my impulse "need" in check, then I'd almost always buy used. I want Gears 3, Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim, but I know that they'll be cheap not long after launch. But I want to play them ASAP. Maybe I'll try loading a backlog to occupy me till they're cheap.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always buy used off E-bay. If the gaming industry was about to collapse financially, I'd start buying new. Last time I checked, they were doing just fine.

I know Sega is never making a console, but if they did, I think I would buy a bunch of new games for it just so they wouldn't collapse again. So I understand when a Sony or Microsoft loyalist wants to support their company by buying new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I buy games new if they are current-gen stuff stocked at retailers. However, unless it's a top-tier want for me (Mario Galaxy, Dissidia, etc.) then I usually wait for a sale or a "greatest hits" version. So I semi-support the industry, I guess.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Someone has to buy new games in order for people to buy used ones. If its something I must have at launch or I feel the need to support the developers in my own admittedly small way; I'll buy it new. If not I'll wait til either it goes on sale or til GS has one of their Buy two get one free sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I always buy used off E-bay. If the gaming industry was about to collapse financially, I'd start buying new. Last time I checked, they were doing just fine.
    I pretty much agree with this take, but I would buy more off Craigslist locally. I've been buying my own video games since 1989, so, I've pretty much payed my dues in terms of buying brand new games with great regularity. I was one of those guys that would buy 2 brand new games a month (if not more) at full price, and never thought twice about it. Over all those years, I've spent literally thousands and thousands of dollars on this industry.

At a certain point, during this 360/PS3 generation, my backlog stack started piling so high that I decided to change my purchasing habits. I'm now the type of gamer that is basically 2 years behind everybody else. Right now, I'm playing games from 2008 and 2009, or even a couple from 2007. So many great games that I haven't yet seen the credits roll on. So, I'm willing to stay a few years behind everybody else, and the beautiful thing about that, is being able to buy amazing games for like $8 or $9 or $7, etc, etc.

I no longer buy used games, but it's not by choice. I recently built a gaming PC, and after spending a cool grand on that, I'm only playing my games on PC. In PC-land, it's pretty hard to buy used games. The DRM on every particular game is so confusing, that if you're buying it used, you're taking a HUGE risk that the game might not work on your PC at all, because it was linked to somebodies Steam account or whatever. The transfer of rights on PC games is so sketchy, that buying used games is like throwing your money in the wind, and hoping it blows back into your hand.

The other part of it, is that for my style of gaming (staying 2 or even 3 years behind the latest), I'm able to buy the PC versions of many games brand new, for the same price I'd be getting the 360 version on Craigslist. Sometimes even cheaper than I'd be getting the used version. I recently got Price of Persia (2008), brand new, factory sealed for $4 shipped. I got Red Faction Guerrilla for $5 and Just Cause 2 for $5 (Steam)
    Last edited by WCP; 06-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

if its a new game i always buy new...i only by used on retro games that you cant get anymore.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Latest EGM article sparks question: buy new or used?

I've bought used video games and consoles due to being fiscally challenged. Otherwise wait until the price drops so even if the game's a stinker, I'm not out $50 to $60. Yup, nothing like buying a brand new game, play it for a minute or so and saying, this game sucks. But with store policies, you open it, you bought it policy IMHO has hurt more than helped sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I buy 2-3 games a year new. Mostly budget titles, with a few day one releases for the games that I really want to play. I have been burned on so many purchases at full price, I buy used, and buy on clearance mostly.

The whole marketplace for games is changing. The $60/$40 game model does not work like it used to. Quite simply there are other options for gamers to play/check out games more than ever around this old model. I am speaking with my wallet.

I want to support the game industry, but the truth is most games are not worth the initial price tag. At my age I have literally seen every type of game genre and time again being rehashed, upscaled, rereleased, etc.

My habits have changed too. I used to hate download only games, but that has since gone to the wayside. If I can purchase a game directly from my couch at a cheaper price, that is what I am going to do.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I've been backlogged on gaming for so long, I can't see the benefit of buying new. I don't buy games that have been released recently. It's not that I wouldn't want to, I just don't get games in that window. I've finally picked up all of the games that I decided I wanted when I picked out my "next gen" wanted-lineup 5 years ago. And I still haven't played through all of those.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess I just do not understand this warm fuzzy feeling people get supporting developers. Do people get this when they buy cars new? How about Guns? I see people get excited about how much money Nintendo makes selling Wii's, like Nintendo is going to send them so cash for supporting their product. And the EGM guy? The clerk should have punch him in the face, the next time he wants to whine about something I am sure he will take his complaint to the correct person...

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I buy my games either new or used based on the perceived amount of gametime I will get out of the product.

Shooters which I know my buds will pick up are usually release date purchases for me because I know I am going to get my moneys worth out of that game. Things like CoD, Battlefield, Killzone, etc. have sold me a new copy because I know I am going to spend hours and hours on that game and getting well over my money's worth in entertainment.

I usually don't buy Bethesta style RPG games on day one because of the various DLC packs which have become a part of gaming now. However with the "GOTY Edition" that has been fully patched and includes all the DLC get a day one purchase because the game then feels complete and I won't (shouldn't) have to deal with patching or losing DLC content when the servers eventually go down.

The only time I will spend money on a game which I may not get hundreds of hours of gameplay into are my very favorite series in gaming. I've been burned by buying 60 dollar games new far too often in this generation to continue doing so without getting a LOT out of each product I purchase.

If a developer isn't offering extensive online play, an expansive world to explore, or really solid replay value (not just F****** trophies/achievements) then I don't think that they are justified in asking 60 dollars for their product.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 06-16-2011 at 01:33 AM.