0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Default PC games on Mac

I hear its possible to run PC games on a Mac but is it easy to do or do I just need to download a program to do so?

I want to play some command & conquer
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

First it depends on your Mac's internals. Is it an older Power PC or is it a newer Intel based system. If it's a Power PC, you're out of luck. The system architecture just won't support it.

Next you're going to need to either use Apple's BootCamp (free), or something like Parallels (not free) to allow you to dual boot your computer. Then you're going to need to make sure that you've got a fresh copy of Xp/Vista/7 that can be installed on the partition. Still with me? Good. Now get a copy of C&C and go to town.

EASY-PEASY!

And thus, that is the reason I am a console gamer and not a computer gamer (Apple/Mac user since 86).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I believe many games can be played while running in Mac OS X using CrossOver.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    First it depends on your Mac's internals. Is it an older Power PC or is it a newer Intel based system. If it's a Power PC, you're out of luck. The system architecture just won't support it.
    If it's an older Power PC you can get an old copy of Virtual PC for Mac.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

I'm rocking a brand new macbook pro.
    Some games say that it can run on both platform on the cover
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Next you're going to need to either use Apple's BootCamp (free), or something like Parallels (not free) to allow you to dual boot your computer. Then you're going to need to make sure that you've got a fresh copy of Xp/Vista/7 that can be installed on the partition. Still with me? Good. Now get a copy of C&C and go to town.

EASY-PEASY!

And thus, that is the reason I am a console gamer and not a computer gamer (Apple/Mac user since 86).
    Actually, as others have pointed out, there are options available to run PC software including games on a Power PC Mac. Indeed, DosBox is also available as a Universal Binary for both Power PC and Intel Macs. Now, admittedly, you're not always going to get the best performance out of certain PC games on a Power PC Mac, especially if it has very specific hardware and graphics acceleration requirements. Frankly, you're going to suffer a performance bump down even on a new Intel Mac when compared to a similar PC when running the same game, but it really all depends on what your processor, memory and graphics card look like on your Mac and what the requirements of the game are.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's an old DOS game you can run it using DOSBox. DOSBox can run on both a Power PC and Intel Mac. Command & Conquer seems to have a MS-DOS version, so it would run fine in DOSBox. It's always fun running Duke Nukem 3D on a Powerbook G4.
    Last edited by alec006; 06-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also related to the reason that I have a PC and not a Mac. (Executor is free, if I needed it - I have a couple classic Macs sitting around, not good ones though, outside the oldest models.)

Instead of Windows (not free) you could install Linux instead - it won't be any simpler for the end purpose of playing Windows games, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    It's always fun running Duke Nukem 3D on a Powerbook G4.
    DOSBox has its place, but for something like Duke Nukem 3D, it would probably be a much better idea to go with one of the source ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Also related to the reason that I have a PC and not a Mac. (Executor is free, if I needed it - I have a couple classic Macs sitting around, not good ones though, outside the oldest models.)
    You're painfully limited in what you can do with Executor, though it too has its uses.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)