Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Summer of Protos!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any chance in hell that you guys have X-Women?
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    Any chance in hell that you guys have X-Women?
    I wish my man. I don't know of anyone that has a copy of X-Women.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the heck is X-Women?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    the heck is X-Women?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOB1RP3xBCo

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just now clued into this thread and gave the Dragon's Lair Genesis proto a try. Awesome! It's arguably better than the SNES version. Thanks muchly for putting this one out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem at all

With DP dissolving its proto forum, it is extremely unlikely that I'll be bumping this thread again. For those interested in future releases, please stay tuned to the thread on NA.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of people forget that I (and mrmark/beagle) have released a TON of NES unreleased games over the years (mine through someone else) and "hoarding" is always funny when I am referred to as that, even jokingly...

As far as Socks The Cat goes, legwork was involved, and I understand people want to play it, but everyone forgets about a game once it is out..heck, War on Wheels was such a big deal but we couldn't even sell 100 of the carts...Indy Heat for Sega Genesis? Having a hard time selling out on those...it's difficult to justify releasing anything if people don't support previous releases. I would LOVE to get Socks out there properly, but everyone needs to support the other releases and not expect everything for free.....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    As far as Socks The Cat goes, legwork was involved, and I understand people want to play it, but everyone forgets about a game once it is out..heck, War on Wheels was such a big deal but we couldn't even sell 100 of the carts...Indy Heat for Sega Genesis? Having a hard time selling out on those...it's difficult to justify releasing anything if people don't support previous releases. I would LOVE to get Socks out there properly, but everyone needs to support the other releases and not expect everything for free.....
    I'm not familiar with the kind of manufacturing costs and labor involved in making carts (or if there's a notable difference between producing Snes and Genesis carts) but are you contemplating releasing Socks on cart first? I'm sure you'd receive a lot of support from the community (myself included) since it has 18 years of curiosity built up behind it.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 08-17-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Could there be some sort of pre-order model to protect your investment?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty new to collecting and im curious... how do people evne come across protos?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Singletriad View Post
    I'm pretty new to collecting and im curious... how do people evne come across protos?
    Most are found in the wild, usually around California, being sold by old magazines, reviewers, developers, companies, etc.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw a video of Socks on youtube, and it looks interesting to say the least. All of the other websites say that "no copies exist" and one even had a quote from a developer saying that "no copies exist". Guess she is pretty obviously wrong!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    I'm not familiar with the kind of manufacturing costs and labor involved in making carts (or if there's a notable difference between producing Snes and Genesis carts) but are you contemplating releasing Socks on cart first? I'm sure you'd receive a lot of support from the community (myself included) since it has 18 years of curiosity built up behind it.
    Doonzmore: I tried doing preorders with War on Wheels but the guy I had doing them for me took FOREVER. SNES Repros haven't really been done as much with box manual, but that is besides the point...people aren't supporting the OTHER games I have (had) available...a lot of people want games but don't want to pay to get them....they esxpect them for free, that's the problem. I am sure everyone wants to PLAY Socks, but not PAY to PLAY it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doonzmore: I tried doing preorders with War on Wheels but the guy I had doing them for me took FOREVER. SNES Repros haven't really been done as much with box manual, but that is besides the point...people aren't supporting the OTHER games I have (had) available...a lot of people want games but don't want to pay to get them....they esxpect them for free, that's the problem. I am sure everyone wants to PLAY Socks, but not PAY to PLAY it.
    I guess I don't understand the point reinstating the lack of support you have received for your other releases. We get that. I was mostly interested in the cost/difficulty of producing Snes carts (don't know if you've done Snes repros in the past) and when I said you'd probably receive community support I meant people who would PAY to PLAY it. At least I would...

It's a shame your other games haven't sold well. Are you affiliated with thenesdump by any chance? I recall seeing complete repros of War on Wheels for sale on their website last I checked.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 08-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mark and Matt-
    You guys are truely standup guys! Our community is lucky to have you both!
    Thanks!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post
    I guess I don't understand the point reinstating the lack of support you have received for your other releases. We get that. I was mostly interested in the cost/difficulty of producing Snes carts (don't know if you've done Snes repros in the past) and when I said you'd probably receive community support I meant people who would PAY to PLAY it. At least I would...

It's a shame your other games haven't sold well. Are you affiliated with thenesdump by any chance? I recall seeing complete repros of War on Wheels for sale on their website last I checked.
    I reinstated the lack of support because it's not worth it to look into the SNES stuff if no one is buying the other stuff. Too much cost to endure on something like that. NEsdump I sold off my excess boxes and manuals to them, they have the rest of my War on Wheels stock.

I am sure people would pay to play it but we've been down that road before with me and "donations" to play a game...there's a morality issue of people still expecting games for free. If you tell the same people to buy the proto or something, they don't have money, but want to play it for free still. The reality is it should be released properly with box and manual but there's a bit more work in SNES stuff. I am pretty sure I know who CAN do it, but I would much rather sell out of Indy Heat at least FIRST before anything....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I reinstated the lack of support because it's not worth it to look into the SNES stuff if no one is buying the other stuff. Too much cost to endure on something like that. NEsdump I sold off my excess boxes and manuals to them, they have the rest of my War on Wheels stock.

I am sure people would pay to play it but we've been down that road before with me and "donations" to play a game...there's a morality issue of people still expecting games for free. If you tell the same people to buy the proto or something, they don't have money, but want to play it for free still. The reality is it should be released properly with box and manual but there's a bit more work in SNES stuff. I am pretty sure I know who CAN do it, but I would much rather sell out of Indy Heat at least FIRST before anything....
    Fair enough. A box and manual would be great to have for a game like that. I purchased a repro of Eon Man for the Nes from TheNesDump and the box/manual are first rate. Don't regret spending a single dime on it. Great game.

Carry on.

@Evan - This was the sort of information I was looking for and didn't get from Jason. Thanks a mint.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 03-12-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the big problems with making SNES reproductions is that the cost of making the cart is almost the same as buying a full on flash cart.

Really, the SNES is flexible enough that it could be possible to make an all purpose repro cart that can have adjustable mappings, but really, it probably isn't worth it considering that a Super Everdrive costs $70, and there is an extremely limited market for reproductions.

If people like DreamTR do not want to release these things, that is fine. Prototypes cost a lot of money, and releasing them may bring unwarranted negative attention.

Hopefully with the museum that Joe is starting up, many of these obscure items find a home where they can be properly studied and preserved, without the scrutiny of ROM kiddies. I certainly will be sending my prototypes there once the museum is opened (though I admittedly have a small amount compared to the big collectors).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be willing to buy a repro of sucks, depending on the price. I'd be happy with 50-60ish :<

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Most are found in the wild, usually around California, being sold by old magazines, reviewers, developers, companies, etc.
    Tell me about it. I've stumbled upon several protos in my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic