Thread: Noob question about 3DS saves and Mii characters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Noob question about 3DS saves and Mii characters

I have just bought a 3DS about a week ago and would like to know how saves work on this system in combination with Miis.

For example, with Pilotwings my Mii character has just reached the platinum class. So does the save file for this game reside on the Pilotwings cart or on the 3DS itself? Also, since the Mii is stored on the 3DS (i think), if I lost it somehow due to the console dying but the Pilotwings cart was still working, how would you continue where you left off if you don't have your Mii anymore?

Or have I just got it completely wrong? Please enlighten me

Thanks
    Sam
    I like turtles

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

There is very little known about how the 3DS works at this point. From the experiments of my friend and myself, we've discovered that DSiWare must be stored internally (onboard Flash ROM), 3DSWare must be stored externally (outboard SD card), "extra data" such as StreetPass must be stored internally, and that there appears to be no "primary save" data stored internally or on SD, meaning that normal game saves must be stored externally on cards (3DS game cards). Extra files like photographs and music and recordings are stored on SD cards.

However I am fairly sure that Nintendo is not displaying all the save data on any of these storage formats. But with no current way to manage files outside of Nintendo's own limited System Menu data manager, it is impossible to say for the internal storage and game card storage.

So as to your question, I'd say that while the game's progress is saved on the game card, your Miis are stored on the 3DS. What happens if you lose your Mii? Well I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine that it would let you continue with a generic Mii or by selecting a replacement one.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I like turtles?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    So as to your question, I'd say that while the game's progress is saved on the game card, your Miis are stored on the 3DS. What happens if you lose your Mii? Well I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine that it would let you continue with a generic Mii or by selecting a replacement one.
    Thank you for replying. I thought it would be something like that, where the cart stores the game save and the Mii lives separately in the 3DS. I really hope you can continue with a generic Mii if the 3DS dies or is lost/stolen. Just for fun I'll probably make a QR code for my Mii, store it on the SD card and transfer it to my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I like turtles?
    You don't? For shame, they taste great!
    I like turtles