Thread: Gameshark v 3.1 question

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Gameshark v 3.1 question

I just recently picked up a gameshark v. 3.1 from someone off here (won't mention who but they have been helpful and good to deal with), and I can't quite figure it out. I plug it into my N64 with a game it counts down and shows the gameshark title screen. Then the game takes over and plays like normal. NO selection screen from the gameshark comes up, the window on the gameshark still reads 0.

Any ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had a problem like this with a Gameshark. Normally, either the Gameshark works or it doesn't, so I don't know that I can be of that much help.

Does this happen with just with one game or other games as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It has done it with all of the games that I have tried (3 or 4 games).

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been a while since I've messed with one, but I recall the N64 Gameshark/Pro being very finicky: certain games require a "master" code (or something like that), and if you start up the GS with those codes (without that exact game), sometimes it can screw things up. I remember this happening with either Super Mario 64 or one of the Zelda games. You have to actually start the GS with that particular game to get the thing to work again.

Again, I haven't tried one in a while, so I might be blurring some of the details. I've got 7 or 8 N64 GS/Pros lying around, so if you don't get an answer before then, I'll test some of them out and see if I can duplicate what you're experiencing.

EDIT: After playing around with a couple different versions, I only got the same thing to happen to mine once, and it booted into the menu properly on the next try. If you've got either one of them, trying booting it with Super Mario 64 or GoldenEye, and reset the keycode to that of whichever game you're trying to play. Don't know if that'll get you any closer, but it's worth trying if you haven't already. If you've already tried either of those games and it's still skipping over the main menu, then I'm not sure what's going on. I'll try some other stuff tomorrow after work if no one offers up anything new.

Good luck!
    Last edited by allyourblood; 06-21-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got almost 100 N64 games and I don't have Mario 64 or Goldeneye lol, but I have Goldeneye on the way so when it gets here I'll give it a shot.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

allyourblood is skewing some of the details. The "master" codes and what he is describing are two different things.

The "master", MUST BE ON, or (M) codes are codes that are required by some games such as Excitebike 64 to disable anti-Gameshark programming built into some games.

The other process is called a keycode. By default, certain games (namely ones made by Rare, the Zelda titles, and 1080) won't work with Gameshark. To get them to work, you had to stick in a working game such as Super Mario 64 or Pilot Wings 64 and press L+R at the main menu of the Gameshark screen, then select the proper keycode and swap carts.

However, this doesn't sound like a problem caused by a MUST BE ON or keycode. When this happens, a game will play incorrectly or not boot. Seeing as how games are booting and playing just fine, something is wrong with your Gameshark. I'd recommend cleaning the contacts first. Be careful though, since Gamesharks don't have any cover for their PCBs through the cart slot.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I meant key codes every time; just replace any instances of "master codes" that I may have mentioned. When I first posted, I was a little rusty on my GameShark nomenclature.

As for cleaning the thing, I can't imagine the Gameshark would allow a game to boot if it needed cleaning. I mean, it's able to launch the boot screen and pass through to gameplay? Seems to me, if the OP can see the GS boot screen, cleaning isn't the issue. I mean, yeah, of course ensure that the cart is clean, but I'm guessing that the problem is software-related (even if that means the GS is corrupted).

I attempted to duplicate this error several more times, to no avail. I don't think it much matters, but I actually don't have a v.3.1 GS; in fact, I've got just about every version but that one. But as I mentioned before, I can't get this to happen more than the one time I posted earlier, so I'm unfortunately out of ideas.

I do hope you get it sorted. Let us know if you get things worked out!
    Last edited by allyourblood; 06-23-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the info I'm going to keep trying and see what I come up with.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as Gameshark Pro goes, I have a 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3. I'd recommend looking for a 3.2 or a 3.3 (they are identifiable by having a parallel port on the back, unlike versions 3.0 or 3.1) due to high compatibility. Some older versions are incompatible with some games by default. Gameshark for N64 is complicated business
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    As far as Gameshark Pro goes, I have a 3.0, 3.2, and 3.3. I'd recommend looking for a 3.2 or a 3.3 (they are identifiable by having a parallel port on the back, unlike versions 3.0 or 3.1) due to high compatibility. Some older versions are incompatible with some games by default. Gameshark for N64 is complicated business
    Actually my 3.1 has the port on the back.