Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 20th birthday, Sonic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy 20th birthday, Sonic

Sonic the Hedgehog was released in the United States 20 years ago today. In celebration, Sega released a Sonic Generations demo on 360 and PS3, but will only be available for 20 days.

I'm still a fan and am stoked about SG.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Just found out that for 360, you need GOLD membership in order to download, so I will just wait until the game comes out to try it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Just found out that for 360, you need GOLD membership in order to download, so I will just wait until the game comes out to try it out.
    You need Gold Membership to download any demos on xbox live.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by drmay View Post
    Not true. Usually it's for newly released demos. Downloading a demo as we speak.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drmay View Post
    You are misinformed. Demos are only exclusive to Gold members for the first week. After that they become available to Silver members which is the free part of the service.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, just got done playing the demo a couple times through. I'm don't know the first thing about game design/programming, but they just can't seem to get it right, even when the developers go back to the original formula (for the most part). I know it's only one level, but if the rest of the game plays in a similar way, I think Sonic's anniversary (like his past 15 years) deserves more.

Weird zoomed-in segments make it hard to judge movement and what's "coming up" in front of you, and something about the visuals makes it quite difficult to determine where Sonic is at any given time (if you've ever played or watched that amazing-looking Sonic remake out there, you've seen this same phenomenon).

Something I liked about the original 4 games was that even though there are a lot of super-fast segments, it never feels like you've completely lost control of Sonic; not so here. As in so many of the modern Sonic games, entering loops and hitting certain springs thrusts you into long passages of fluttery, blurry movement that leaves you staring at the screen, just waiting for things to slow down or stop so you can regain your bearings.

It looks really cool, though. Colors are wonderful and enemy animations are pretty funny.

I don't think I'll ever understand why there can't be a modern Sonic title that just absolutely blows the doors off the series; with so many tries, you'd think just one of these games could be a full-blown AAA modern classic. Look at Nintendo: whether or not you have liked every Mario platformer that has come out in the last 5-10 years, there's no denying the level of control, polish, and playability that goes into them; you pick them up and simply play, and everything feels right. The Mario series has nailed it so many times, it's embarrassing and frustrating to think Sonic can't bag one solid mind-blower every few years. Every time a new Sonic games releases, I always kinda hope it's gonna be that one title that restores the innovation and purity to the series, and it just never is.

I do think this 20th anniversary release is a nice idea though, and it's certainly not a bad game (judging from that one trial level, anyway). Beats the tar out of what Nintendo did for Mario's 25th, though I'm not sure anyone would've been offended if Sega had released Sonic 1-3 w/Sonic CD on a disc for $30 with some memorabilia. Actually...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mehhh
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know your a Sonic fan when you can hear the rings sound and the Chemical Plant song in your sleep XP Happy 20th Sonic.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I should go back to play the early games again, I believe Sonic was the first game I ever played. Still 20 years passing makes me feel old already.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Happy 20th Anniversary Sonic! Too bad after the 10th they royally screwed up the entire franchise...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Bday Sonic, oh how I loved your younger days but for some reason everything new you did after you became a teenager makes you look like a real dick.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CapnCrunch53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Birthday Sonic, until recently all I knew of you was Sonic 2 on the GameGear (and I never beat that first boss )

Last week I picked up my first ever Genesis and got Sonic Spinball with it, and today, on Sonic's birthday, I bought Sonic 2 for the Genesis (I've heard it's one of the best, along with CD). The cart needs a bit of cleaning but I'm looking forward to playing. Sonic's still drawing new fans after all these years
    My Systems
    Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA-SP, GBP, DS Lite, 3DS
    Sony: PS1, PS2
    Microsoft: Softmodded Xbox, Xbox 360
    Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Dreamcast, GameGear
    Other: Atari Super Pong, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Odyssey 2, Turbografx-16, NeoGeo Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i love the demo to sonic generations
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

allyourblood, I can't disagree more. I thought Sonic Generations was *amazing*! It's everything I wanted Sonic 4 to be - great level design, great gameplay and really excellent physics. It's different from the old games, but definitely not worse - I actually like their tweaks to the spindash, for example. I'm really excited about this game now.

I'm surprised you said the camera was too zoomed in - I'm pretty sure it's actually further out than in the old games. You're not playing in 4:3, are you?

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    I'm surprised you said the camera was too zoomed in - I'm pretty sure it's actually further out than in the old games. You're not playing in 4:3, are you?
    No, 16x9, and as mentioned, this occurs only at certain points in gameplay. During speedy segments, the camera naturally zooms out to give a better view. I'm a big, big fan of the 16-bit series, and perhaps my standards are too high, but this simply isn't the Sonic game I've been waiting for. Sonic 4, and now this, seem to me like half-hearted, big-budget apologies to fans and critics more than anything else.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

just played some sonic 2 on my collection for the xbox happy birthday sonic!!!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Is it just me or does it feel like their is a jump delay? It was driving me crazy on my first two play throughs.

Overall I thought the demo was actually too fast in certain segments. I also felt largely pointless as a player, outside of maybe 10 jumps I did nothing other then hold right. Sonic to me has always been about platforming first with speed second..and this game feels more or less the reverse of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Is it just me or does it feel like their is a jump delay? It was driving me crazy on my first two play throughs.

Overall I thought the demo was actually too fast in certain segments. I also felt largely pointless as a player, outside of maybe 10 jumps I did nothing other then hold right. Sonic to me has always been about platforming first with speed second..and this game feels more or less the reverse of that.
    I felt the same way. I had a trouble jumping over a couple of spikes near ledges, just because it wasn't responding quite how I felt it should. And other than that, yes, I was just holding right the entire way.

That, and it seemed to give me a bit of a headache, I think because it was all so blurred.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too blurry and the camera is, most of the time too close to the action, Sega really anooys me here because they almost have it right but are still so far off. I also have little faith in the Modern Sonic levels, it wouldn't of hurt them to give us a demonstration of that as well would of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've downloaded the demo but I haven't played it yet. I did like the trailers I've seen of this game over the last few weeks. As for Sonic, I've been playing since his first Genesis outing but I kind of skipped over the Saturn stuff. It use to be one of my favorite series but I haven't played any of the new games from the last 5 years or so. Atleast not yet.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.