Thread: Yu Suzuki leaving management role at Sega in September [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Yu Suzuki leaving management role at Sega in September [Joystiq]

Yu Suzuki, the living embodiment of all your favorite Sega memories, revealed in a Gamasutra interview that he is leaving his management position within the company's AM2 studio in September, though he'll remain at Sega as an advisor. He's actually been working at his own company, YS Net, since 2008, in conjunction with his continued employment at Sega.

After dropping the news of his departure, he discussed some of his previous works -- including the unreleased MMO, Shenmue Online. Suzuki described his concept for the game as "a town that players create as they enter the game and play it -- something like a multi-CPU system, with each player serving as a CPU." One player, then, would handle important drunk-Santa computations, while another would act as the hot-dog vending core.Yu Suzuki leaving management role at Sega in September originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:20:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love for Yu Suzuki to regain some prominence in the gaming scene. He's truly an industry icon and I treasure all of his games. I hope YS Net eventually produces some cool stuff. From what I have seen and heard it's hard to be optimistic about seeing the kind of games he used to make.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That's it. We're never seeing Shenmue 3.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is a problem why?

*I'd* love for some good new gaming ideas to hit the mix. Suzuki's bland ideas and the resulting mostly pedestrian games haven't done much to shake up the stanard FPS / Bland Third Person Platformer status quo. For the life of me, I can't really think of one non-arcade game Suzuki did that I would like to play, aside from games that followed a pretty obvious idea (Space Harrier, and it all went downhill from there - think After Burner II, and ABII's even less well-received successor G-LOC - don't deny it, nobody even bothered to post reply some years ago when I put a thread up asking about the music from those games, and that's not even his direct contribution!). I wish him well, but I would like him to consider some fresh new ideas, which "Shenmue, but in a city" is not it. Some of his more recent stuff that intrigues me (Propeller Arena and Outrun 2) I have yet to play before I could say that I'm really familiar with his work, though.

But I suppose I shouldn't poop on a nice trip down nostalgia lane. Here's to Zoom 909...er, I mean Space Harrier! :beerkeg:

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I never want to hear that.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    This is a problem why?

*I'd* love for some good new gaming ideas to hit the mix. Suzuki's bland ideas and the resulting mostly pedestrian games haven't done much to shake up the stanard FPS / Bland Third Person Platformer status quo. For the life of me, I can't really think of one non-arcade game Suzuki did that I would like to play, aside from games that followed a pretty obvious idea (Space Harrier, and it all went downhill from there - think After Burner II, and ABII's even less well-received successor G-LOC - don't deny it, nobody even bothered to post reply some years ago when I put a thread up asking about the music from those games, and that's not even his direct contribution!). I wish him well, but I would like him to consider some fresh new ideas, which "Shenmue, but in a city" is not it. Some of his more recent stuff that intrigues me (Propeller Arena and Outrun 2) I have yet to play before I could say that I'm really familiar with his work, though.

But I suppose I shouldn't poop on a nice trip down nostalgia lane. Here's to Zoom 909...er, I mean Space Harrier! :beerkeg:

One day i'm going to eat your face.
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 06-26-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't tell anyone, but I have a copy of Shenmue to play the arcade games and buy capsule toys. I bought Shenmue 2 to see the Shenmue 1 movie. I honestly tried to play Shenmue, but it's not my kind of game. Too plodding, slow and it's meticulousness given to the mundane was, quite frankly, boring.

The Sega I knew and loved is long dead. Suzuki-san should move on rather than Hang-On.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yu Suzuki left AM2 like 8 years ago. His last game with AM2 was Out Run 2.