Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DS - It's been said before but DAMN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DS - It's been said before but DAMN

The battery life on the 3DS really is appalling. I'm averaging a little over 3 hours on the new Zelda with the 3D turned OFF.

I almost feel like I'm back to playing a Sega Game Gear except that I can recharge it overnight instead of buying a load of batteries.

Anyone familiar with the company Mugen? They claim to have a battery that lasts 4.5 hours than the normal 3DS battery. Costs $100 though. Says out of stock.

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com...tendo-3ds.html

I've been spoiled by the GBA.

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Wow.

That reminds me of playing the GTA games on psp. They seemed to get about 3 hours out of the system before they started dying. That is pretty disappointing, definitely waiting for the hardware revision for the 3DS here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Yeah I'm having that problem myself. Charging it every day now, just playing Zelda DX.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is pretty pathetic. And if you are playing on 3D I would suspect that the battery would drain even faster. That just plain sucks. If it were me and I wanted to enjoy a game like Zelda, I would invest in the higher capacity battery. But check the reviews on the 'net first.

Lego games rule. I like one to have LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon and the lego harry potter hogwarts castle in it.
    Last edited by jamesfriedman; 08-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well back to the ole tethered to the charger trick, works every time.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

The abysmal battery life is one of the things that has kept me from getting a 3DS. Perhaps with time that will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its all part of a clever Nintendo plan, once the 3DSi/3DSlite or whatever the next model will be comes with with a proper battery life they will make even more 2k monies selling you the hardware all over again!!

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They should have made it black and white and released 3DS Color a couple years from now when the battery was strong enough to handle it. To be honest, portable battery life has never been an issue for me. I usually would never play a portable game for more than 3 hours without easily being able to plug it in. However, I'll be flying to Australia next month and Ocarina of Time would have been perfect for the combined 30+ hours of flying. There actually might be a plug between each seat (I guess some Airbus jets have them), but I'm not holding my breath. No doubt the battery life will improve with the inevitable 3DS revisions but that will ultimately involve me buying a whole new unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont get what the big deal is, its the price we pay for console-like power in your pocket. In this day and age when you need to recharge your phone at least once a day, charging your handhelds not a problem. btw, nyko i believe also makes a extended battery which costs 29.99 with the cradle.
    Last edited by dairugger; 06-26-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    i dont get what the big deal is, its the price we pay for console-like power in your pocket. In this day and age when you need to recharge your phone at least once a day, charging your handhelds not a problem. btw, nyko i believe also makes a extended battery which costs 29.99 with the cradle.
    Yes because the DS with comparable N64 capabilities was such a power hog.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What phone are you using that you have to recharge it every day? Standby times of less than days are considered scandalous now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was trying to be positive, my mistake, i forgot the cool thing on the web is to whine about everything. gotcha! ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    What phone are you using that you have to recharge it every day? Standby times of less than days are considered scandalous now.
    a htc evo, but i use it to watch netflix, browse the web, etc. im used to having it in the charging dock while im not using it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In that case, it's probably worth considering that you are able to use it through the full day doing a pretty heavy load of practical mixed tasks...but it's not constantly draining the battery doing those things, which is important. Plugging it in from habit is pretty universal.

In my view, this isn't a fatal flaw, but it's bumping up against it. 3 hours is a long time to game - for one session only, though I expect people will keep bumping up against that limit all the time. Given the right game, I could see myself bumping up against that run time - and wouldn't it suck if you were right in the middle of something?

From the business perspective, this is interesting because it shows Nintendo clearly abandoning the less graphics-intensive platforms they have championed openly since the Wii and the DS, for the bleeding-edge (expensive, now in various ways) model that they have been quick to criticize from competition. That said, from a developer's perspective this is probably no big deal because it's probably an easier and more capable machine - more in line with what developers are expecting. The core 3D chip even has its own Futuremark (Mad Onion, 3DMark-style) demo.

Expect public wall sockets to be hogged constantly in the near future.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-26-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    In that case, it's probably worth considering that you are able to use it through the full day doing a pretty heavy load of practical mixed tasks...but it's not constantly draining the battery doing those things, which is important. Plugging it in from habit is pretty universal.

In my view, this isn't a fatal flaw, but it's bumping up against it. 3 hours is a long time to game - for one session only, though I expect people will keep bumping up against that limit all the time. Given the right game, I could see myself bumping up against that run time - and wouldn't it suck if you were right in the middle of something?

Expect public wall sockets to be hogged constantly in the near future.
    yeah, lol, smartphone battery life was quite a shock coming from a razr which i could leave unplugged for days. when i first got the evo it died after two hours of use consisting of one 10 min phone call and 6 text messages. now that is just crazy! thank god that doesnt happen anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Yes because the DS with comparable N64 capabilities was such a power hog.
    but these arent n64 graphics. i gotta say zelda looks nice. and consider that the system has to render it twice, plus the battery power that the 3d display consumes. its not like this was a shocker for petes sakes, the battery life wasnt hidden, nintendo informed people when it released the specs.

but it will get better. the same thing happend to the psp, it was then, and still is my favorite system.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If the oil companies would let the battery companies release longer lasting batteries, we all would be better off. I read(on the internet) that some guy developed a battery that allowed him to drive his electric car coast to coast on a single charge. The oil companies bought the technology and then had the guy killed and made it look like an accident.

</sarc>

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

i was trying to be positive, my mistake, i forgot the cool thing on the web is to whine about everything. gotcha! ;-)
    I wasn't trying to sound like a whiner in my post I simply don't think three hours is long enough battery life for the way I use my handhelds. Since I typically play them mostly when traveling, three hours max simply won't cut the mustard satisfactorily. If and when they release a 3DS with better battery life (and they most likely will) I will be more interested. Sure the nyko power pak adds some battery life and that is a possibility but it does affect how it fits in the case which is a turn off. Just because people complain about a particular issue doesn't mean they are whining if they feel there is a shortcoming that affects their use of a product.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    If the oil companies would let the battery companies release longer lasting batteries, we all would be better off. I read(on the internet) that some guy developed a battery that allowed him to drive his electric car coast to coast on a single charge. The oil companies bought the technology and then had the guy killed and made it look like an accident.
    </sarc>
    Yeah, now we just have to build the battery ourselves and then keep it secret from the oil companies so we don't get killed. Then we will save tons of money and outsmart them.

Really all you need for a battery to last long enough with enough voltage is an increase in size. If you mod a TV remote that takes AAAs to take a D battery instead, it will last much longer. Now think about modding car batteries. Could you build a massive battery that sets in the back of your car and route some longer jumper cables to it? Why not?

There are also probably ways to make a smaller battery have more capacity but I'm not sure how that is done.

As far as that 3DS thing goes, it doesn't seem to die as quickly on me as people are saying. Did you charge it all the way up out of the box before using it? I hear with any electronics device you are supposed to do that to maximize its lifespan first.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]