Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    but these arent n64 graphics. i gotta say zelda looks nice. and consider that the system has to render it twice, plus the battery power that the 3d display consumes. its not like this was a shocker for petes sakes, the battery life wasnt hidden, nintendo informed people when it released the specs.

but it will get better. the same thing happend to the psp, it was then, and still is my favorite system.
    If that's the argument then 3D should of never been a factor for the console. They should of called it the DS Squared (or some other marketing bs), included all the other enhancements but sold it for 50 bucks less.

The one thing I have always preferred about Nintendo handhelds over its competition is that they always seemed to make battery life a priority. Which meant that it was an effective handheld device, not needing a few spare batteries, or a more expensive hi-cap one, or a charger with you every where you go. I guess at this point I'm just ranting at my personal disappointment overall with the console's launch state..but the 3Ds in many ways seems like the anti-Nintendo portable which kills a lot of its sold portable-first appeal for me.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    The battery life on the 3DS really is appalling. I'm averaging a little over 3 hours on the new Zelda with the 3D turned OFF.

I almost feel like I'm back to playing a Sega Game Gear except that I can recharge it overnight instead of buying a load of batteries.

Anyone familiar with the company Mugen? They claim to have a battery that lasts 4.5 hours than the normal 3DS battery. Costs $100 though. Says out of stock.

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com...tendo-3ds.html

I've been spoiled by the GBA.

!
    I'm not sure how much power it would save, but make sure the Wifi switch on the side of the 3DS is turned off. Also, turn off Streetpass (it uses another type of signal). If all else fails, you can lower the brightness.

You're right about the GBA. It spoiled us all.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Meh, when I take my portable systems somewhere I usually just play then in the hotel room or the room where I'm staying so they can continually be charged (I've taken both the Game Gear and Nomad plenty of places and the battery life never really annoyed me) so this part of the 3DS doesn't really bother me.

What disappoints me more is that I get sick looking at the 3D imagery while playing it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never run into battery problems, but I've also been mostly been playing normal DS games on it (i.e. Pokemon).

I need to go pick up a copy of Zelda, methinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add me as another person who hasn't had problems with the battery life.. seems fine to me. I'm currently at the Water Temple in OOT.. and I've only seen my battery light go red once.

..But then again I mostly play it at home and it gets stuck in it's cradle quite often when I'm not playing. But also just as often it's just left by the side of the bed overnight on hibernation, or in some other place of my house.. battery life seems fine even when I have a 2 hour+ session.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still less than three hours for me. I've found that I've been picking up the DS more often than not... it lasts much long and it's lighter.

The contruction quality of the 3DS is top-notch, though. The DS feels plasticy and cheap by comparison. I wonder how that will change when it's updated?

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    What phone are you using that you have to recharge it every day? Standby times of less than days are considered scandalous now.
    What's the battery life on the iPhone like when it's used for games? I have an iPod Touch and it doesn't seem like it would last more than 3 hours of solid game-playing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jrokshady's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember the original GBA and how it sucked compared to the GBA SP. Remember how the DS was nowhere as good as the DS lite or DSi. Compare the first PSP to the 3000. Sensing a pattern here? That's why I don't buy handhelds at launch.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrokshady View Post
    Remember the GBA SP and how it sucked compared to the original GBA. Remember how the DS Lite was unplayable compared to the DS
    Yeah. I do.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.