Thread: Xbox collecting question of opinion

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox collecting question of opinion

Hello,

I find myself asking different questions collecting the newer stuff. One thing has been bugging me lately, and it has to do with the original xbox cases. On one hand, it would be cool to have brand new replacement cases for your collection to make them all look new and show off the art work. On the other hand, is changing out the case, or more specifically to a new different color case like the 360 cases going to bother you. I am stuck on this. I think the artwork and manual and game are important, but how important is that original case? If it was not for the two different colors I would not have a problem. This is not a problem for the PS1, PS2, or the 360.

Two part question of opinion. One, does changing the box in this case bother you, and two, lets say you have a whole xbox collection in new 360 cases, does this ruin the collection?

I am interested to read others' opinions on this matter.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Changing the case to a different style case would definitely bother me. Why would you even do that? My guess is, somehow you have extra 360 cases, and your xbox1 cases look like crap. Solution, locate some xbox1 cases for sale that are in good condition, problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Solution, locate some xbox1 cases for sale that are in good condition, problem solved.
    Yeah, round up copies of Madden 2001-2005 for cheap and plunder the cases.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not done this. I was mainly asking for opinions if the cases really matter with this generation of collecting.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only thing that matter is what matters to you.

For me, I'll only change cases with the same type/colour case that they originally had, that includes platinum hits games with platinum coloured cases, PC Engine CD games with white disc trays, etc..

I make exceptions for the earlier PS2 games that didn't have the memory card holders in them and vice versa. It don't care if I replace older PS2 games with newer cases that do have it, or newer PS2 games with older cases that don't. I care more about the aesthetics on how they look on the shelf than anything, so the internals don't bother me much. Of course alphabetically trumps how they good on the shelf for me, too. Otherwise I'd group Genesis cases with like kind (red diagonal-striped boxes together, original white grid on black together, etc.)

Again, if it's not about resale value then just do what you feel comfortable with. As far as I know, there aren't any "collecting rules", and I wouldn't give a damn even if some publication or group of collectors were pretentious enough to attempt to establish some. You might want to have both of your XBOX collections to be uniform on the shelf together. If that's something you'd like to seem then by all means go for it.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 06-26-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only cases I've been swapping are those flimsy Xbox 360 cases with most of the center cut out. I much prefer the earlier, sturdier versions. I doubt people would care much about this sort of thing from a collectible standpoint, but I'm sure it would matter to the most anal collectors. Its your collection, do what you want. Only a handful of original Xbox games I would view as having collectible potential, so I think the potential resale implications of swapping out cases would be minimal, as long as the manuals etc. are all there.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector