Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game collectors beware!, HD Remakes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game collectors beware!, HD Remakes

I consider myself a "functional collector" of video games. I don't keep games in their plastic wrapping because I like to play them while I admire them in my collection.

That being said, I get a funny feeling in my stomach when I hear about HD Remakes. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I can't wait to play them, but it makes me feel like some of my games won't have as much "collector's" value (such as my mint condition Zone of Enders:2nd runner).

HD remake Examples:

Zone of Enders
    Ico & Shadow of Colossus
    Metal Gear Series (just announced)
    Sly games
    Splinter Cell
    God of War Collection
    Beyond good & evil (download only)
    etc......

Also, keep in mind that exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid and Zone of Enders will also be available for XBOX 360 in their HD form...

Thoughts or comments?
    Last edited by porlino87; 06-27-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well ile be keeping my greatest hits of silent hill 2 since that had another story bonus, as for zone of the enders I'm dumping them online to get the remakes since they run poorly on emulators. Ile keep my metal gears since they made no mention if they were remakes of substance and subsistence. Shadow of the colossus is a safe bet though as there's almost no reason not to get rid of it unless you have a european special edition or something.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porlino87 View Post
    I consider myself a "functional collector" of video games. I don't keep games in their plastic wrapping because I like to play them while I admire them in my collection.

That being said, I get a funny feeling in my stomach when I hear about HD Remakes. Don't get me wrong, I like them and I can't wait to play them, but it makes me feel like some of my games won't have as much "collector's" value (such as my mint condition Zone of Enders:2nd runner).

HD remake Examples:

Zone of Enders
    Ico & Shadow of Colossus
    Sly games
    Splinter Cell
    God of War Collection
    etc......

Also, keep in mind that exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid and Zone of Enders will also be available for XBOX 360 in their HD form...

Thoughts or comments?
    What exactly is "collector's value"? Do you mean resale value? If so, nothing you listed there is likely to maintain any sort of value long term as there were millions of copies pressed and lots of people holding on to their copies in mint or sealed shape. If you're collecting in hopes of buying a house or even a car with the proceeds someday, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you realize that the number of "rare" and "valuable" games in the 32bit or later generation is very, very tiny. Unless you bought the games for well below MSRP, you will never make a profit on any of those games, but they are fun to play, so that's worth something I suppose.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    What exactly is "collector's value"? Do you mean resale value? If so, nothing you listed there is likely to maintain any sort of value long term as there were millions of copies pressed and lots of people holding on to their copies in mint or sealed shape. If you're collecting in hopes of buying a house or even a car with the proceeds someday, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you realize that the number of "rare" and "valuable" games in the 32bit or later generation is very, very tiny. Unless you bought the games for well below MSRP, you will never make a profit on any of those games, but they are fun to play, so that's worth something I suppose.
    I'm not collecting these games for resale value, just personal value. What I mean by "collector's value" is, the value I personally put on the game for my own sake. A value that will keep me from trading a game in.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not collecting these games for resale value, just personal value. What I mean by "collector's value" is, the value I personally put on the game for my own sake. A value that will keep me from trading a game in.
    Then I guess I don't get your point at all. It seems like you'll have to decide on your own what to keep and what not to once you play the HD remakes. Why would it matter what anyone else thinks?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While none of the games are too expensive I think they'll mostly hold their value. The original titles won't play on a PS3 aside from having BC as well as original collectors purposes.

It's like any game that's placed in a collection and still holds its value. Mega Man and Mega Man X games still hold their value even though in their respective collections. Same with a few of the Genesis games on either Sega Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, or the various PC collections. Final Fantasy 4 holds its value even though it's been released an excessive amount of times and has another console release that's better than the original release at an extremely budget price.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The main reason is that there are many people who prefer to play games in their original forms rather than remakes. I like to experience the evolution of a series both graphically and gameplay wise and remakes take that away. I save remakes for replays of the same games when desired.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This topic makes absolutely no sense. What exactly about HD remakes are collectors supposed to beware of?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Lower resell values!

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This makes no sense.

If a game really means something to you and is very personal, you're going to hold onto your copy regardless. I have sold off almost every game in my collection, but I have kept a few that really have meant something to me over the years. Even ones who have technically superior rereleases (SOTN, Rez, etc). Some of these games that I hold on to are valuable, but I'll never get rid of them because of the way that have affected me when I initially played them.

If you are talking about 'personal value' like you claim, then you will hold onto the physical copies of the titles that are rereleased in HD, regardless of the value, because that physical copy of the game in your collection is the one that you have played through and it brought about a certain type of feeling. I don't believe that a virtual download of the same game, enhanced or not, can bring about that evoke that feeling.

If you're talking about "collector's value", then I hope that the physical prices drop on your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you care exclusively about resale values than you shouldn't be collecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HD remake Examples:

Zone of Enders
    Ico & Shadow of Colossus
    Sly games
    Splinter Cell
    God of War Collection
    etc......

Thoughts or comments?

My thoughts? Games are meant for playing not collecting, and if HD remakes mean there are more copies of our favorite games out there for more people to buy, potentially growing the customer base to guarantee continuation of said series then Im more then all for it.

Anyone who is worried about "resale value" is in the hobby for the wrong reasons and needs to go away and find something else to do.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The only concern I have regarding HD remakes is whether some things will get changed for no good reason.

See: Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes. :P

That Splinter Cell collection is also missing the multiplayer parts of the games.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 06-28-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that I'm accusing anyone of it but people who want to deny other peoples pleasure for the sake of their own entitlement makes me mad. If you put value on your hobby solely based on how inclusive it is you need to get a life.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I consider myself a "functional collector"... Thoughts or comments?
    You mean dysfunctional, right?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Lower resell values!

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA
    Strong POTY candidate.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't wait to get my hands on these fabled 'HD Remakes'. They sound like a sound investment to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect games for the same reason some people collect books. While there are a few books around that have substaintial value, the common person will almost never own any of those titles. The reason most people collect anything is the ability to get some personal enjoyment from the item or the feeling of nostalgia. Having a remake and allowing others (especially the newer generation of video game players) who did not have access to these games growing up is fantastic. And for someone like me I get to see an old game given new life to enjoy again is a wonderful feeling. I can't wait to play Silent Hill in HD.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The only concern I have regarding HD remakes is whether some things will get changed for no good reason.

See: Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes. :P

That Splinter Cell collection is also missing the multiplayer parts of the games.
    I think, so far, the ones announced only have minor upgrades besides the upped resolution (touched-up 2d art, etc.) so things are looking good...so far. None of these are getting the Twin Snakes full remake treatment...thank god
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Au contraire, Baby ..... because in the case of Silent Hill HD Remasters, the voice acting will be ALL NEW ... increasing the "collector's value" of the originals.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!