Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are some worthwhile PSP games?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Wow, that is so spot-on.

Okay, my issues with Peace Walker are so numerous that the reason I haven't posted a review in my blog yet is because I'm trying to shave it down to size. But yeah, a lot of the time I can't help comparing it to Portable Ops and coming away saying "somehow, the game that had only a year of development time, and which was geared towards multiplayer with an almost tacked-on single player campaign, wound up having the better gameplay and storyline. How does that happen? Does Hideo Kojima just suck now?"

To be honest, Peace Walker was the game that got me so fed up I almost sold the PSP.

I'll probably order that FFIV collection soon. I'd be more interested in Phantasy Star Portable if it was a re-release and not a new game (didn't the series basically go downhill after the Genesis died?)
    Interesting, I only ever hear about people either loving or loathing Peace Walker. It seems like even among Metal Gear fans there are few people who don't fall into either camp with that game. I actually fall into the former category so I'm really curious what your review has to say about the game.

On that same note since you liked Portable Ops and you haven't picked it up already take a look at Portable Ops +. Its really just an expansion pack with emphasis on online and continuing to build your forces but if you liked the game play style in PO then it might interest you. You don't need to play online to enjoy it, has a large single player mode called Infinity Mission which is really just mission after mission with different objectives so if you find it for cheap check it out.

FF4 Complete surprised me a bit since instead of a porting the new style DS version of the game they gave all the original sprites a complete overhaul. That coupled with the fantastic magic effects, the option to chose between the original SNES or remixed music, and the after years along with a new interlude game make it a nice package.

I'm not versed in the Phanatsy Star Universe but PSP1(hah just noticed that) is apparently a port of one of the PS2 styled games with added content. The game is a Dungeon crawler/Monster Hunter styled affair so if you like that genera I would suggest it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that is so spot-on.

Okay, my issues with Peace Walker are so numerous that the reason I haven't posted a review in my blog yet is because I'm trying to shave it down to size. But yeah, a lot of the time I can't help comparing it to Portable Ops and coming away saying "somehow, the game that had only a year of development time, and which was geared towards multiplayer with an almost tacked-on single player campaign, wound up having the better gameplay and storyline. How does that happen? Does Hideo Kojima just suck now?"

To be honest, Peace Walker was the game that got me so fed up I almost sold the PSP.

I'll probably order that FFIV collection soon. I'd be more interested in Phantasy Star Portable if it was a re-release and not a new game (didn't the series basically go downhill after the Genesis died?)
    i hope you didnt almost sell your psp over one game, thats crazy. theres a whole sea of games and genres on the psp. honestly, i dont know why it gets a bad rap. one thing i hate is when people buy the psp and pirate the hell out of it. in order for a platform to thrive people need to buy the games, without it devs wont make games for it. \end rant

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    one thing i hate is when people buy the psp and pirate the hell out of it. in order for a platform to thrive people need to buy the games, without it devs wont make games for it. \end rant
    I don't like this either. I love my PSP and games are either being made for the PSP but staying in Japan due to "the amount of piracy in the west.(quoted from Sega when asked about Valkyria Chronicles 3)" or it just doesn't get many games developed for it because of the same reason.

After the amount of times Dissidia Duodecim was pirated and the poor sales it's received, Square-Enix even stated they're unsure of localizing Final Fantasy Type-0 for the west because of the piracy. This makes me sad .

FF4 Collection as others have said is amazing. The After Years kind of sucks, but it's the overall best version of FF4.

Phantasy Star didn't get worse after the Genesis games. Phantasy Star Online is where the series really reached its peak, even if it is a completely different game. PSO, PSO Episode 2, PSO Episode 4 were all just more of the exact same type of gameplay and it was fun.

Then Phantasy Star Universe came out. It's not terrible, but it's a watered down version of PSO. Forces were once my favorite class, but in PSU and PSP they're just not really fun to play as, so I stick to the Hunter class and sometimes, although rarely, the Ranger. PSP expanded on PSU, and PSP2 made it much better. PSP2 even adds areas like Forest, Cave, Ruins, and Mine from PSO. Even though the games aren't as good as PSO, they're still good games. I'd recommend skipping PSP and getting PSP2. The reason to play these games are the network portions, not for the story mode.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't like this either. I love my PSP and games are either being made for the PSP but staying in Japan due to "the amount of piracy in the west.(quoted from Sega when asked about Valkyria Chronicles 3)" or it just doesn't get many games developed for it because of the same reason.

After the amount of times Dissidia Duodecim was pirated and the poor sales it's received, Square-Enix even stated they're unsure of localizing Final Fantasy Type-0 for the west because of the piracy. This makes me sad .

FF4 Collection as others have said is amazing. The After Years kind of sucks, but it's the overall best version of FF4.

Phantasy Star didn't get worse after the Genesis games. Phantasy Star Online is where the series really reached its peak, even if it is a completely different game. PSO, PSO Episode 2, PSO Episode 4 were all just more of the exact same type of gameplay and it was fun.

Then Phantasy Star Universe came out. It's not terrible, but it's a watered down version of PSO. Forces were once my favorite class, but in PSU and PSP they're just not really fun to play as, so I stick to the Hunter class and sometimes, although rarely, the Ranger. PSP expanded on PSU, and PSP2 made it much better. PSP2 even adds areas like Forest, Cave, Ruins, and Mine from PSO. Even though the games aren't as good as PSO, they're still good games. I'd recommend skipping PSP and getting PSP2. The reason to play these games are the network portions, not for the story mode.
    and thats what makes me so mad/sad, gamers for years longed for a powerful sytem that was like a console in your hands, that would be a real gamers system, bring the loved series of yesterday into today (ultimate ghosts n goblins/ megaman x and powered up) and when we finally get it people steal the games left and right then complain that the games arent innovative enough. i know battery life has been a factor in peoples complaints but the newer systems more or less fixed that as do extended batteries.

ive gone to buy games from gamestop and was asked why buy them, no one plays psp games, and to just download them, all from a gamestop employee mind you.
    Last edited by dairugger; 06-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one mentioned Monster Hunter? Very good games and addictive.

I wish the Vita was physically BC with the PSP. There's so many games I want to pick up but I just can't get used to the nub.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Most of the great games to get for the PSP have been mentioned in previous posts but I will also add both of the God of War games. Both are absolutely great and, if you enjoyed the series before, you should like these as well. True, they are coming out for the PS3 but just in case you want them on the go, the PSP versions shouldn't be overlooked..
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my compiled list of RPG for the system, hope this helps:

PSP RPG List.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I bought one a couple of months ago and I'm starting to regret my purchase. But before I go hawking it on the marketplace, I want to know if there are any really worthwhile games on it?
    I forgot that you were an Armored Core fan. Armored Core 3, Silent Line, and Last Raven are on the PSP but as digital download anywhere but Japan. Unfortunately, there's no L2/R2 so you have to use the digital pad to aim the camera up and down. I haven't played them since I have them on PS2, but the controls don't seem too bad, just can't think of how you'd overboost unless it's a multi button combination.

If you ever decide to get the Vita, anything you purchase digitally can be played on the Vita. Good thing about it is that for PSP titles the left analog would control the analog nub and the right analog would control the digital pad. This makes the games such as Armored Core(camera up/down to right analog,) Monster Hunter Portable 3rd(no more of "The Claw,") as well as other games that would be better with a second analog stick but only uses the digital pad work better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I had a LOT of fun playing through Metal Gear AC!D ... the 2nd was also excellent (and had a better art style) but I never finished it.

It's not a traditional Metal Gear game, but there's little else like it on the PSP. It's equal parts Advance Wars turn based strategy and a Magic the Gathering/Pokemon type card game.
    I just wanted to second this post.

Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 are both terrific games that too often get overlooked because they aren't real-time action games like MGS. If you can enjoy card or turn-based games, try this series.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Interesting, I only ever hear about people either loving or loathing Peace Walker. It seems like even among Metal Gear fans there are few people who don't fall into either camp with that game. I actually fall into the former category so I'm really curious what your review has to say about the game.
    Here ya go. It's not really a review so much as a "why this game sucks" though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well since you've mentioned the Metal Gear games, I would highly recommend any of the God of War and Syphon Filter games. They're dirt cheap as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

You know what would be nifty? a "List of Classic Game Compilations." Or at least just Compilations, or games that include older titles as some sort of bonus.

Also, I checked out that RPG list. It's interesting, but the problem is... its just a list. It doesn't tell me anything about the games. I would at least like to know what kind of RPG it is (first-person, JRPG, Zelda clone, Metroidvania) and have a rough sketch of the plot, even if you have to fudge details to avoid spoilers (or even just say "It's Metal Gear, I ain't gotta explain $#!%.")

Currently, my PSP library consists of both the Star Oceans and all the Metal Gears.

Kupomogli, it sounds like it might be better to play Armored Core on PS1/2 than on PSP. But there's still the King's Field games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I saw two games where you play as a glob of mercury. The guy at the store said they were some kind of puzzle game. They worthwhile?

Are there any good racing games for PSP?

I saw Tactics Ogre at Gamestop, but they wanted like $40 for it.

Picked up Gradius Collection. That's keeping me happy for awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw two games where you play as a glob of mercury. The guy at the store said they were some kind of puzzle game. They worthwhile?

Are there any good racing games for PSP?
    Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is a good racer. The analog nub holds it back from meeting its full potential, but it's still fun even using just the d-pad.

The Mercury games are best experienced on the Wii and PS2. But they're worthwhile experiences for sure, especially if you don't mind the analog nub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

While I'm on this subject, what is the best memory stick for the PSP? Mine currently has a 1GB pro duo in it and I think I need to upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have two micro sd cards joined into a pro duo adaptor for a total of 32 gigs. total happiness achieved. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I read about something like that, but... would I still be able to put the slot cover on with an arrangement like that? I'd rather just have one 16gb card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's basically a Memory Stick Pro Duo with two slots for Micro SD or Micro SDHC. It's cheaper than a legitimate 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. I use a 16GB myself, but if I ever upgrade I'll get that instead because I've heard it works well.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay.

Hey, are the PSP iterations of SOCOM or Medal of Honor any good? I've never played a game in either franchise and I was wondering if I should start with those.