Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some worthwhile PSP games?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default What are some worthwhile PSP games?

I bought one a couple of months ago and I'm starting to regret my purchase. But before I go hawking it on the marketplace, I want to know if there are any really worthwhile games on it.

Just one thing, DO NOT name any Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, Star Ocean or Final Fantasy games. I either already have them, or else don't like them. Anything besides those, though, is fair game.

So, any recommends?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Lumines
    Lumines II
    Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
    Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
    Ridge Racer
    Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
    Gradius Collection
    Half-Minute Hero
    Patchwork Heroes (download only)

That's just out of what I have, I'm sure there are plenty more.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Suikoman444
    PSN
    Suikoman444

Persona 1 and 3 and 2 EP soon. Disgaea 1 and 2. Ys 1 and 2, Ys 7. There are quite a few good RPGs for it. There are also the playstation store PS1 games that can be downloaded to the PSP

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

There are more "good PSP games threads" than anything else on this forum.

Anyways. Why are you regret purchasing the best system on the market? If you're not finding a ton of amazing games than you're not looking hard enough. What Oobgarm mentioned plus here are a few.

Brave Story
    Wild ARMs XF
    Ys 1 and 2, 3, and 7
    Gurumin
    Pursuit Force 1 and 2
    Prinny 2
    Gundam Battle Universe
    Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus
    Crisis Core FF7
    Dissidia Duodecim
    Crimson Gem Saga

There are a lot more but I list most on every one of these thread types, so should be able to find another one of those.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
    Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2
    Wipeout Pure
    Wipeout Pulse

I enjoyed Harvey Birdman as well.

If you have a PSN accont, I think you still have a week to download a couple free games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Lumines
    Lumines II
    Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
    And these:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is an amazing remake of the original Tactics Ogre. It fixes everything that dragged down its source material, adds some extras, and retranslates the story. Definitely worth playing if you like strategy-RPGs.

Gods Eater Burst is basically a faster, more stylish, and just-plain-better version of Monster Hunter.

Gurumin is a fun little action-RPG by Falcom. It's lightweight and cutesy as hell, but there's a lot to hold your attention.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth isn't a perfect port of the PlayStation game; the graphics sometimes blur, and the menu interface isn't as friendly. Still, it's a cheaper alternative if you never played the game and don't want to spend upwards of $50 on the PlayStation version.
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 06-28-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: fixed links
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

These are all games I personally enjoyed that meet your criteria off the top of my head.

Brave Story New Traveler
    Initial D Street Stage
    Persona 1
    Armored Core Formula Front
    DJ Max Series
    The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
    Jean D'Arc
    Phantasy Star 1
    Killzone Liberation
    Ace Combat (Skies of Liberation & Joint Assault)s

This complaint about the PSP always blows my mind, I have at least 30 titles in my current collection and I've probably played 60 during its lifetime just scratching its surface. Maybe 20 out of those were crap and the rest I enjoyed, if you can't find any worthwhile games then you really aren't looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I don't have high-speed internet in my area, so I literally can not do download games. So henceforth lets restrict this only to games available on physical media.

I notice that a lot of the suggestions are some sort of remake/re-releases. I'd appreciate knowing what factors (including availability) make the PSP versions better.

Also, I love compilations, especially of classic arcade games and RPGs, so if there are any on the PSP I should know about, let me know! I already know about the FFIV collection and if I don't sell the PSP, I might grab that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles II, the number one reason to own a PSP. If you have a PS3, you can play the original. No need to play one before the other though.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I second Jeanne D'Arc, it's a cool strategy RPG although a tad on the linear side. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is more worthy for its inclusion of SOTN and Rondo of Blood than the 3D update, in my opinion, but still cool.

Some others that I personally am quite fond of:

Pixeljunk Monsters
    Soul Calibur: Broken Destinies
    Lemmings
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
    Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Space Invaders Extreme

As for compilations, Atari Classics Evolved & SNK Arcade Classics are neat. The Atari collection features 'classic' and 'evolved' versions of mainstays like Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, etc., with the evolved editions varying in quality/playability. There's a large library of 2600 games that become available once you overcome an insane series of achievements. SNK Arcade Classics has some unpleasantly noticeable load times, but the lineup is fairly solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like sports games the MLB The Show games are great ports on the PSP. And you don't have to lug your PS3 around for a quick game of baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There are more "good PSP games threads" than anything else on this forum.

Anyways. Why are you regret purchasing the best system on the market? If you're not finding a ton of amazing games than you're not looking hard enough. What Oobgarm mentioned plus here are a few.

Brave Story
    Wild ARMs XF
    Ys 1 and 2, 3, and 7
    Gurumin
    Pursuit Force 1 and 2
    Prinny 2
    Gundam Battle Universe
    Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus
    Crisis Core FF7
    Dissidia Duodecim
    Crimson Gem Saga

There are a lot more but I list most on every one of these thread types, so should be able to find another one of those.
    my psp is my favorite system this generation by far. it goes everywhere with me. i have cfw running on it which only makes it even sweeter. if you want a full console experience
    in your hands the psp is your answer.

games i recommend:
    lunar: ssh
    Ys series
    popolocroise
    tales series
    megaman powered up
    megaman x
    dracula x collection
    gurumin
    legend of heroes series
    ultimate ghosts n goblins
    silent hill series
    disgea series
    final fantasy i & 2 & 4
    gradius collection
    salamander collection import
    parodius collection import
    hexyz force
    jeanne d'arc
    prinny 1 & 2
    3rd birthday
    kingdom hearts
    wild arms xf
    street fighter 3
    darkstalkers
    shadow of destiny
    harvey birdman
    xmen legends 2
    knights in the nightmare
    guilty gear series
    final fantasy tactics
    crimsom gem saga
    capcom classics series
    breath of fire 3
    assassins creed

and when add in the ability to play ps1 games or put your isos from your own discs it becomes a GODLY system!

currently rocking my pspgo with cfw.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

This is the only game I play for my PSP, and I've probably played it more than all of my other portable games (from any system) combined. I don't know if I've even removed the UMD since I bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also, I love compilations, especially of classic arcade games and RPGs, so if there are any on the PSP I should know about, let me know!
    Activision Hits Remixed is great; I should have mentioned that one in my post.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't have high-speed internet in my area, so I literally can not do download games. So henceforth lets restrict this only to games available on physical media.

I notice that a lot of the suggestions are some sort of remake/re-releases. I'd appreciate knowing what factors (including availability) make the PSP versions better.

Also, I love compilations, especially of classic arcade games and RPGs, so if there are any on the PSP I should know about, let me know! I already know about the FFIV collection and if I don't sell the PSP, I might grab that.
    Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play is fantastic (and cheap!).

Among other well emulated titles on the disc it has MUCH better emulations of MK 1-3 than the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube collections of that generation.

Capcom Classics Remixed
    and
    Capcom Classics Reloaded are both fantastic collections with plenty of games that are perfect on the PSP

and

Namco Museum Battle Collection has plenty of familiar Namco favorites as well as several of the arcade remix versions they did in the late 90s of PacMan, Dig Dug, etc.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Somebody mentioned Phantasy Star 1. Is that a remake or an emulation of the original (or both)? And is it available in English?

EDIT Also, yesterday I picked up Metal Gear Acid finally, and though I've only played a couple of minutes of it, it seems interesting. It's already easily better than the steaming dog turd known as Peace Walker. so, I guess I'm committed to keeping my PSP now.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 06-29-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Somebody mentioned Phantasy Star 1. Is that a remake or an emulation of the original (or both)? And is it available in English?
    Phantasy Star Portable is what the person meant. Phantasy Star Portable 2 is better with more areas and doesn't drop in framerate like the first one does.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

EDIT Also, yesterday I picked up Metal Gear Acid finally, and though I've only played a couple of minutes of it, it seems interesting. It's already easily better than the steaming dog turd known as Peace Walker. so, I guess I'm committed to keeping my PSP now.
    I remember when Acid was released people dogged all over it because it wasn't a traditional Metal Gear game but both titles are fun in there own way. The second is more bright, colorful, and follows a cell shaded style but the gameplay is still there just expanded upon.

Also I don't know what your particular gripe is with Peace Walker but I commonly hear that people can't stand not being able to go prone in that game. If that is one of your issues Metal Gear Portable Ops has a bigger emphasis on stealth elements rather then the action emphasis in Peace Walker so you might prefer that title.

Earlier in the thread you said you were interested in picking up FF4: The Complete Collection and if your a fan of the original game you should go for it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I remember when Acid was released people dogged all over it because it wasn't a traditional Metal Gear game but both titles are fun in there own way. The second is more bright, colorful, and follows a cell shaded style but the gameplay is still there just expanded upon.

Also I don't know what your particular gripe is with Peace Walker but I commonly hear that people can't stand not being able to go prone in that game. If that is one of your issues Metal Gear Portable Ops has a bigger emphasis on stealth elements rather then the action emphasis in Peace Walker so you might prefer that title.

Earlier in the thread you said you were interested in picking up FF4: The Complete Collection and if your a fan of the original game you should go for it.
    I had a LOT of fun playing through Metal Gear AC!D ... the 2nd was also excellent (and had a better art style) but I never finished it.

It's not a traditional Metal Gear game, but there's little else like it on the PSP. It's equal parts Advance Wars turn based strategy and a Magic the Gathering/Pokemon type card game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Wow, that is so spot-on.

Okay, my issues with Peace Walker are so numerous that the reason I haven't posted a review in my blog yet is because I'm trying to shave it down to size. But yeah, a lot of the time I can't help comparing it to Portable Ops and coming away saying "somehow, the game that had only a year of development time, and which was geared towards multiplayer with an almost tacked-on single player campaign, wound up having the better gameplay and storyline. How does that happen? Does Hideo Kojima just suck now?"

To be honest, Peace Walker was the game that got me so fed up I almost sold the PSP.

I'll probably order that FFIV collection soon. I'd be more interested in Phantasy Star Portable if it was a re-release and not a new game (didn't the series basically go downhill after the Genesis died?)