Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnavox Odyssey - Video connections to modern TV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Magnavox Odyssey - Video connections to modern TV

So I picked up an original, 1972 Magnavox Odyssey off of craigslist for $25 (with the shotgun, even). Woohoo! But I can't seem to figure out how to turn the VHF signal into something usable by a modern television. And by modern, I just mean a typical CRT from the 90's with coax in the back.

I bought one of these (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103912) from Radioshack, and it almost works. Two problems though:
    - The two ends that need connecting are forks, and I don't have a screwdown platform to connect them, so I could only just touch them together to get a signal to go through.
    - The resulting signal seemed like it was zoomed in too far (only showed part of the screen, as it was completely black until I moved the "ball" with the controller a bit), and scrolled bottom to top very quickly over and over.

Because of this, I get the feeling that I am trying to use the wrong kind of adapter. But what adapter should I be using?

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

I THINK you need something like this. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Matching-T...9671936&sr=8-2

Not entirely certain though. I'm sure some else can verify/dispute this.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'd have to throw a female-to-female coax adapter in there as well, but that shouldn't cost too much.

I just wonder though, how it is different from the adapter that I already tried and got the scrolling display. Would that just be due to a weak signal, since I didn't have a proper way to attach the two? The one I tried said 300ohm to 75ohm as well...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never dealt with an Odyssey, but I had an O2 and used a connector for the older systems (2600 and even TG16 for a while). If it has an RCA male plug that carries a RF signal or an RCA RF out try one of these.

Direct connect, no RF box required.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No RCA plug, that would be too easy.

Download this PDF: http://www.replacementdocs.com/request.php?4830

Page 5 shows you the monster I'm dealing with.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, apparently my link to the download PDF of the service guide has to be reviewed by a moderator before it can be posted. Regardless, see the below image. What I am dealing with is the device on the right. The two "forks" are the output, and what needs to be connected to the TV.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the RF box right? If the connection to that box from the system is RCA, that adapter will do the trick and without the RF switch box.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, it's not an RCA. I've never seen anything like it before, so I have no idea what it is....

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
    Well, apparently my link to the download PDF of the service guide has to be reviewed by a moderator before it can be posted. Regardless, see the below image. What I am dealing with is the device on the right. The two "forks" are the output, and what needs to be connected to the TV.

Ah yes back in the old days of twin lead antenna switch boxes. What you do is connect the weird Magnavox Odyssey cable to the game cord input on the switchbox. Then you need one of these to adapt the twin lead to coaxial coming from the switchbox to your TV:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Matching-T...9713919&sr=8-2

Then flip the box to game and you should be set, however I warn you, since the switchbox is so old it may not show any picture what so ever on a newer flat screen TV. You can connect it to a VCR with a tuner thou and the VCR should be able to pick up the signal. Remember you can always switch between channel 3 or 4 in the battery compartment since no one is broadcasting on analog anymore. The picture will of course be fuzzy and the Odyssey has no sound, but the best way to play Odyssey is on an old CRT.
    Last edited by alec006; 07-03-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation guys. I'll go ahead and order that unit from amazon, along with a female-to-female coax so I can actually make use of it. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

What a lovely cable.

As a former owner of an O2 I think you'll find yourself driven slightly insane by the RF picture quality. Can't seem to find a mod to do composite for the original Odyssey though.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, looking forward to it. I just want a stable image on the screen, that'd be good enough!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... still having trouble with this, and cannot figure it out. I bought the recommended adapter, and while it did give me a little cleaner signal, it didn't sort out the vertical scrolling issue. I also tried an older television (1989), but with the same result.

I took a video in case it helps to determine what the problem is. Any ideas? The dot appears and disappears because I am playing with the controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77qvMrSDp5Y

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

The O2 is outputting 50hz instead of 60hz.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    The O2 is outputting 50hz instead of 60hz.
    Oh hell, it's a PAL system since it has a different language on one of the switchboxes. Well then there's two options, buy a PAL TV or is there any type of PAL to NTSC convertor?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that's an interesting development... I bought it from a local guy, and he didn't mention anything about it being PAL or whatnot.

Will have to do some research to find out whether there is a converter available.

EDIT: I can't seem to find a converter for coax. Will either have to get really creative with my wiring (convert coax to RCA somehow), or will just have to give up. But is there any way I can be 100% positive that it is a PAL version? I can't find any information regarding a PAL version of the Odyssey, which makes me doubt that they made one.
    Last edited by SgtSpike; 07-26-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Oh hell, it's a PAL system since it has a different language on one of the switchboxes. Well then there's two options, buy a PAL TV or is there any type of PAL to NTSC convertor?
    Just to clarify, the only switchbox I am using is the one on the right in that photo. The one on the left, with the other language on it, has nothing to do with the Odyssey. It just happened to be in the photo I found on Google.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSpike View Post
    Now that's an interesting development... I bought it from a local guy, and he didn't mention anything about it being PAL or whatnot.

Will have to do some research to find out whether there is a converter available.

EDIT: I can't seem to find a converter for coax. Will either have to get really creative with my wiring (convert coax to RCA somehow), or will just have to give up. But is there any way I can be 100% positive that it is a PAL version? I can't find any information regarding a PAL version of the Odyssey, which makes me doubt that they made one.
    There is a guy on eBay that modified that weird video out cable to have a more modern direct coax connection so it is possible to modify it to get rid of the switchbox.

Here's the link to one of the systems he's selling with the modified cable, if you're good at soldering you could modify the cable or maybe ask this guy how he did it or if he has one to purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNAVOX-ODYSSEY...item5641119d2e

Ask for the PAL question, check if the console still has the manufacturing stamp on the bottom or inside the console. I do know the European version came out in 1974. Also that switchbox on the left is in Estonian according to Google Translate which is a European nation.

It would be nice if it was just the switchbox producing a bad signal.
    Last edited by alec006; 07-26-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, mine's definitely not the European system. It's a Run 1, 1972, serial 7371657. Also, it says 120v and 60hz on the bottom...

Everything points to it not being a PAL system. Is there some other possible explanation for the vertical scrolling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly I'm willing to bet it's the switchbox then, they just crap out over time, not to mention, its close to 40 years old.

Have you tried channel 3 I'm guessing it didn't come in since 80's TV's had a higher "tuned" setting than 70's TV's. Hell I have to use an old 80's VCR just to get my Super Pong System to come in on Channel 3 since it has a tuning correction knob.

Best thing to do is either modify the cable yourself so you have a direct coax connection without the old switchbox, or ask the eBay guy if he has one for sale or someone here to modify the cable for you, again most of the problems usually come from the switchbox itself and not the console.
    Last edited by alec006; 07-28-2011 at 12:14 AM.