Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Exclamation The Videogame History Museum: How You Can Help

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...history-museum

The Videogame History Museum is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit charity dedicated to preserving, archiving, and documenting the history of the videogame industry. Our Board of Advisors is comprised of some of the biggest names in the history of gaming! More information on our goals and vision can be found at the Videogame History Museum website. All contributions are tax-deductible and an acknowledgement letter of your donation will be provided upon request.

Game ON!

The Videogame History Museum is the natural extension of the work started by John Hardie, Sean Kelly and Joe Santulli almost 25 years ago. Individually, each has always seen the importance of the videogame industry and took it upon himself to gather as much information and as many artifacts as possible. Collectively, they have amassed the most comprehensive collection of hardware, software, design documentation and memorabilia ever assembled.

Twenty years ago, the first issue of Digital Press was published at a time when desktop publishing was still something only an elite few could master. It was 1991 when Nintendo was firmly entrenched as king of the consoles and the word Atari was still a 4-letter word to many retailers and nothing more than a reminder of antiquated technology to the current generation of games. The mission of Digital Press was to bring GAMERS together. Editor Joe Santulli didn’t care what your favorite game console was or whether it was old or new. If you were a gamer who enjoyed reading about games or connecting with other game players or collectors, Digital Press was the place to be.

That same year, Sean Kelly launched the first BBS (which stands for Bulletin Board System for you young whipper snappers) dedicated to classic videogame enthusiasts on his Amiga computer. Long before there was an internet as we know it today, people would dial out on their computer modems into specific computers, often times with specific themes.

Jump ahead eight years to the summer of 1999 and John Hardie and Sean Kelly are in Las Vegas busy putting together the first trade show of its kind – Classic Gaming Expo. Videogame collecting isn’t quite mainstream, but collectors are starting to come together and Classic Gaming Expo '99 is set to be the largest gathering to date. Having absolutely zero experience organizing an event like this, the team managed to bring together over 1000 collectors, dozens of vendors and scores of present and former industry people to celebrate the roots of the electronic entertainment industry. A year later, Joe Santulli would come on board and together the trio would continue hosting Classic Gaming Expo for the next fourteen years – to this very day. To learn more about our work with Classic Gaming Expo, please visit the Classic Gaming Expo website.

The videogame industry is double the size of the music industry and while there are several music “halls of fame” and museums, there isn’t a single dedicated videogame museum. It’s time! The time has come to take steps towards creating a physical museum to honor and archive the history of the videogame industry and John Hardie, Sean Kelly and Joe Santulli are the right people to do it.

David Crane, one of the founders of the first third-party software publishing company (Activision), and the sole programmer of the original Pitfall and many others says:
    “I have always wished you success in finding a permanent home for your collection, which I consider to be the most comprehensive repository of videogame collectibles and memorabilia in the world.”

Over the past twenty years we have:
    - Located hundreds of former programmers, developers and publishers and archived their stories and development materials.
    - Amassed the largest and most comprehensive collection of videogame hardware, software, documentation, information and memorabilia in the world. There are dozens of one-of-a-kind items in our collection and terabytes of archived data for which we own the only copies.
    - Published the Digital Press Collector’s Guide which contains complete listings and descriptions of every game ever made for every console. The DP Guide has become the “blue book” of videogame collecting.
    - Gathered together tens of thousands of collectors over the past fourteen years at Classic Gaming Expo.
    - Honored dozens of former and present videogame industry people with our CGE Alumni Awards.
    - Exhibited "The History of Videogames" at E3 for four years as well as presented gaming history and Game Developer Conference (GDC) and Penny Arcade Expo (PAX).

The museum we envision will be all-inclusive, comprehensive and interactive. Unlike some of the other efforts we’ve seen put forth which have a limited focus, our intention is to cover it all! Every game made for every system, every piece of promotional material made for each game, every revision of every console with specific notes as to the differences, the design progression, etc.. As it stands today, our collection is well on its way to achieving this goal, but there are holes that can only be filled by making more and more people aware of our archive.

With your help we can accomplish our goal of a physical museum location open to the public within the next eight years. Initially the funds raised through this Kickstarter project will be used to make our collection more mobile and give it a permanent home. Currently the bulk of our collection is in storage in Las Vegas where we have ready access to it as it goes on display each year at Classic Gaming Expo. A large portion of it is also stored in our homes in the Midwest and east coast. With a more suitable location in the Silicon Valley area, we would like to finally bring everything together under one roof.

Once we have everything in one location, the plan is to make it more mobile by purchasing trade show containers that will allow us to quickly, efficiently, and safely move our collection to the various events we have exhibited at. Our displays at E3 and GDC are somewhat limited by the fact that transporting our collection can be very difficult. Once we are more mobile, exhibits at these large industry events will be much easier to manage and will also allow us to setup displays at additional events such as PAX, DICE and even CES. In addition to these established events, we would like to host smaller weekend events of our own in various cities across the country to make our efforts known to an even larger audience.

Thanks for taking the time to read this pitch and watch our video. Everything you have read about above or watched in our video was done without any donations of any kind – ever. None of us has ever made a dime profit on any of these ventures…our wives will be only too happy to vouch for this. Only with your help will we be able to further our efforts to the next level!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Awesome, Joe. This is exactly what the industry needs, and you guys are obviously the best ones to do the job. With your permission, I'll be happy to post this article on other video game sites I belong to. Also, once you get closer to opening the museum, I'll contact my publisher (McFarland) and see if they would be willing to donate some of their video game books (they've published a number of titles by several different authors).

GOOD LUCK! I HOPE EVERYONE READING THIS WILL DO THEIR PART TO PITCH IN!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is an Endeavor of epic classic gaming proportions! Congrats on the museum! I will be there with the team to help with setting up the museum wherever and whenever I can. In addition I will feature the kickstarter program, along with everything you have written about the Video Game History Museum, on the front page of my Video Game Saga website to help promote the awareness.

I'll make a video too to post on my website with a special announcement on behalf of the team. I will also be donating some money to help bring this dream one step closer to reality. This is a dream I share a huge passion for and it honors me to be apart of it and the CGE team. Preserving and honoring the history of video games and it's founding fathers needs to be in a permanent location for all the world to come and see! Good luck team and a big thanks to anyone who contributes to this dream. Let's do it!!!!
    Last edited by digitpress Jim; 07-04-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't something like this already exist?

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80312
    ~TisLord~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ~TisLord~

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TisLord View Post
    Multiple museums dealing with the same subject matter/history/media do exist.

This is no precedent.

The prominence and significance of Video Game history/culture could and should easily warrant multiple museums in different areas of the country/world, this if funded and developed will be one of them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by TisLord View Post
    Doesn't something like this already exist?
    Something "like this" certainly exists. We even met with the guys at Strong Museum of Play his past spring who gave us a complete behind-the-scenes tour. They have a very nice videogaming area but it is really a very casual view compared to the all-inclusive site we're planning. Also in all artistic cultures, multiple locations with similar themes benefit from one another. In NYC for example, there are a number of museums clustered in a very small area, all of which have their own specific focus yet ultimately benefitting everyone interested in the arts.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Looks like we're starting to make headlines (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/...ns_kicksta.php)!

Today I sent story info about this fund-raiser to Gamasutra, Next-Gen/EDGE, and Joystiq. Let's see what happens!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    Looks like we're starting to make headlines (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/...ns_kicksta.php)!

Today I sent story info about this fund-raiser to Gamasutra, Next-Gen/EDGE, and Joystiq. Let's see what happens!
    Well, GameSetWatch and Gamasutra are run by the same people, but I cross-posted Danny's post over to Gama anyway thanks to your email (and added a bit about the board of directors): http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3..._Donations.php

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's also in Rochester, and no offense to anyone there, but it's Rochester.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I have been one mad writing maven trying to get this information out and published on the major gaming hubs of the 'Net. I tell you, so many of these "gaming news" places seem like, "Dur-dee-dee, let's I can post this funnee video wit video gamez and swearz," but so many seem to not be posting about this worthwhile fund-raising effort.

Today and yesterday I also wrote to Ars Technica, Angry Video Game Nerd, PA, PvP Online, Nintendo Life, Nintendo World Report, Tiny Cartridge, Vic Mignogna, and Steve Wozniak.

Insert Coin (Level 0) RetroGaming Roundup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the July show airs (sometime next week likely) it will include an interview with Joe, John, and Sean about their Video Game History Museum project as well as a catch up about what happened to CGE 2011 and plans for CGE 2012.
    Check out our show at www.RetroGamingRoundup.com

We LOVE CGE

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Today I e-mailed Dave Barry about this project. Should the e-mail swim past his spam filter I'm sure this is something he'll find interesting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since my entire business is restoring video games and preserving OEM parts, I'd be happy to donate parts or services. If you get set up with MissionFish, I can even donate some eBay auctions.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Woo, we're upta $6,875 already! I bet by this time next week we can break $10,000!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Aaaah, we've got 50 contributors now and they've pledged $6905!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

My browser messed up on my last post, so here we go again. I am thinking of donating, but I had a question about the deduction. I read this:

---
    Additionally, if you receive a financial or economic benefit in return for making a gift, the payment is not a deductible charitable contribution except to the extent that it exceeds the fair market value of the benefit. For example, if you gave $100 to a museum and received a book in return that sells regularly for $25, you can only claim $75 as a charitable deduction.

The IRS has a worksheet to help you determine how many of your donations are tax-deductible.
    ---

In addition to the tax deduction document that the organization provides, will we also receive information on how much the prizes are worth? The IRS has "asked" me for schedules in the past to "explain" certain deductions.

thanks
    Last edited by Lucifersam1; 07-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1 View Post
    In addition to the tax deduction document that the organization provides, will we also receive information on how much the prizes are worth? The IRS has "asked" me for schedules in the past to "explain" certain deductions.
    Not a problem at all. Thanks for your support!

The big press release goes out tomorrow, expect to see this subject ad nauseum for the next week or two.

Insert Coin (Level 0) RetroGaming Roundup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The July show just released! In this month we have an interview with Joe, Sean, and John about the museum as well as CGE 2011/2012 updates.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/sh...37_2011.07.htm
    Check out our show at www.RetroGamingRoundup.com

We LOVE CGE

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Regardless of how the next steps go, we still have 55 backers who have pledged $8140. I say this is an impressive show at the 25% time mark.