1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Default PS3 Dilemma.

So my 20GB PS3 finally bit the dust (no pun intended) back in September 2010. I sent to to a guy in Florida, off eBay, to get repaired and he did a great job. Everything has been working fine.

However, the last few months, the fan has been on overdrive. It will quickly go to Stage 3 within ten minutes or so of turning on, and usually Stage 4 within about half an hour. It's even gone to full blast Stage 5 on a couple occasions.

Though I like to say it's because of the temperature and humidity lately, as I very rarely turn the AC on in my apartment to save energy, and just keep the windows open all the time, something tells me my PS3 might be getting it's second YLOD soon.

After doing some reading, turns out that since the repair was merely a full on cleaning of the console, plus a reapplying of the thermal paste on both the CELL and RSX, that this is likely the case.

I'm thinking about replacing the power source, and installing a new fan, then sending it in to get reballed. Will that work?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if that will work in the long run, but short-term it sounds like a fix. What's keeping you from selling it as is and getting a slim? I've never had one issue with my slim for what it's worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Full backwards compatibility.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if you get it reballed, it won't last. Even if you bought a NIB backwards compatible PS3 today, it won't last.

PS3 Slims use less power / generate less heat. Current models are better than the earlier Slims. Even the slim PS3s will probably hit the YLoD eventually, but after my 60GB hit the YLoD twice I gave up on bc and went with a Slim & my old PS2.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

THERMAL GREASE IT NEEDS NEW THERMAL GREASE!

Here's what you want to do. In order of amount of work and

1. New Power Supply.. It's a 20gb model so you want a APS-231 model power supply. It's from the Model "G" 40gb models. (cechg01) they're harder to find since they run cool and work on the older models...

2. New Fan.... Try to get a 19 blade model. 17 bladed fan will work if you want to figure out if it'll work for your model.

3. Get a new thermal grease on those PROCESSORS. They run hot and need thermal grease replaced just about yearly. <--- probably your problem here. I've run into this just a few weeks ago. If you are not familiar with doing this. Get someone who is professional. Or at least knows how to build computers...

ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WITH PROFESSIONAL HELP, I HAVE RUN INTO PROBLEMS THAT YOU WILL NOT SEE UNTIL YOU OPEN YOUR MACHINE UP. Always make sure of the screws in the machine before and after. Always check the system's wires as well as I have received machines back with stripped and poorly taped wire sections. (Our Local Play N Trades are well known for destroying systems more than fixing them.)

Getting it reballed now isn't the best idea either. It may have to be done in the future but most likely has little to do with the heat problem. A huge factor is also the fact you have no air conditioning doesn't help.

Here's a good source for information: http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html
    Last edited by otoko; 07-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Yearly? I don't think so. Unless the PS3 runs insanely high (several hundred degrees) it won't break down that thermal paste.

Though replacing it with IC7 which is diamond based is a good idea. Pricy compared to AS5 but it does a MUCH better job and pulling heat away from the CPU. 10C better on most CPUs and GPUs I've applied it to. Doesn't hurt to lap the heatsink either.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Insert Coin (Level 0) weaponepsilon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    weapon epsilon
    PSN
    weapon epsilon

I know I've seen come PS3 mods where they put in a new PC cooling unit...Maybe do that?
    Currently owned:

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 912 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Yearly? I don't think so.
    Yearly is a guess based upon several factors:
    -Condition of a person's Heatsink (not cleaned, smoker, condition of the block are factors)
    -How often and how long a person runs their Ps3 (mine travels often and is used at parties and for movies outside on a regular basis)
    -conditions of the unit's environment. I.E.: Is it in a non ventelated space? Is the place it is operated cool? Do they have proper cooling devices on the machine?

Also take a look again I said "just about" I'm making a educated guess on what I and other friends with similar models experienced.