Thread: 3DS health scares remain a barrier to mass adoption

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DS health scares remain a barrier to mass adoption

And "rumble" was so last-gen. The "excuses" are pretty funny.

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has acknowledged the company faces a significant challenge convincing consumers that 3DS use carries no serious health risks, a message he says is vital to get across if the portable is to achieve mass market penetration.

Asked by a shareholder what the company is doing to dispel perceptions that 3DS is a potential threat to users’ vision, Iwata said Nintendo recognises the need to educate consumers that such “rumours” are unfounded.

“It is not our eyes but our brains which make us feel the stereoscopic images,” he said. “Accordingly, the topic of discussion about 3D viewing is not a possible effect on our eyes but on our brains. Such comments as, ‘It's bad for your eyes’ or ‘your eyes get tired’ have wings, so much so that some people appear to have the impression that viewing a 3D image is not good for their eyes, but what has been discussed here is whether there are any negative effects on the development of the brain.

“… The well-accepted academic theory is that in many cases the functionality of stereoscopic viewing will mature in the brain when a child is about five years old or younger,” he explained. “We have carefully taken the individual differences in a child's maturation into consideration and, because nobody appears to have the information to declare that it is definitely safe to show 3D images to young children aged six and under, we decided to proactively encourage consumers to take care when children aged six and under are using the device.”

Following slower than expected 3DS sales, Iwata said the company is working hard to allay consumers’ health concerns.

“So far, only 1.2 or 1.3 million Nintendo 3DS systems have spread throughout Japanese society, which means that this product is yet to be sufficiently recognised in this country. We have been trying to communicate to the public to increase the awareness of such functions as the 3D depth slider and, also, parental controls, by which parents can disable the 3D effect for younger children unless they enter a PIN code.

“By widely communicating these two points,” he added, “I think we will be able to dispel the harmful rumours, such as ‘you cannot buy this or play with this because 3D is not good for your eyes’… We are also aware that the Nintendo 3DS will not become widespread unless we dispel such rumours. We are trying hard to communicate these messages to help people have an accurate understanding.”

Iwata went on to address shareholder concerns that a bad first impression and slow uptake of products can have significant long-term consequences.

“… I think you are absolutely correct by saying, ‘It is difficult to recover if it fails to sell in the first place’ and ‘When an understanding of something is commonly shared, it is hard to change it,’ which you mentioned earlier. We are recognising that these are very important points.”

Stronger 3DS launch software would also have benefitted the system, Iwata went on to say.

“… If we had have launched the Nintendo 3DS after we had prepared more software by which the users felt ‘I want the Nintendo 3DS right away!,’ the transition of the sales of the Nintendo 3DS would have been better. You pointed out that our preparation was lacking in that regard, and we ourselves understand that is a point we have to reflect on.”"

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/iwata-3...-mass-adoption
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Stronger 3DS launch software would also have benefitted the system, Iwata went on to say.

“… If we had have launched the Nintendo 3DS after we had prepared more software by which the users felt ‘I want the Nintendo 3DS right away!,’ the transition of the sales of the Nintendo 3DS would have been better. You pointed out that our preparation was lacking in that regard, and we ourselves understand that is a point we have to reflect on.”"
    This right here. Just like Sony with the PS3, if Nintendo didn't just assume everyone would purchase the 3DS just because it was the new Nintendo handheld and actually developed some more games for it at launch, the system wouldn't be doing as bad as it has been.

Nintendo only has themselves to blame. People probably got tired of there being few games on the Wii. With the DS it's been third party developers supporting it almost the entire time. With hardly any really good third party games on the 3DS at this time, it would have really helped if Nintendo would have had some more of their own games, and ones better than what they've launched with, to give reason for people to own a 3DS.

That way that would remove a persons assumption of "here comes another Wii(system with no games.")
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

For me the problem is the 3d. I don't personally like 3d and it gives my wife headaches so we aren't going to be getting one anytime soon. Talking to other people they just don't care that it's in 3d or they don't want it in 3d.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I went ahead and got one since I know there will be games down the road that I want, and adopting relatively early was the only was I was getting a decent amount out of my DSi.

I keep the slider off on mine, as I don't really care for 3D to begin with.

I'm surprised that health reasons are the barrier...it really should be lack of quality software from the outset.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I'm surprised that health reasons are the barrier...it really should be lack of quality software from the outset.
    That's what I'm thinking. I don't see why people are making such a big deal of the 3D when it can just be left off. 3D is on the system, yes, but it doesn't mean you're forced to use it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They overpriced it.

That and lack of games plus few consumers are really all that fussed about 3D. I'm still surprised Nintendo jumped on the 3D bandwagon.
    Last edited by Swamperon; 07-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

"I ain't a-scared a nothin'" Bring on the 3D, I think it looks so good I don't want to turn it off. The Virtual Boy didn't make me need glasses, this thing won't either. The 3D makes the games look like they have that much more depth. I am one of the million satisfied customers.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    For me the problem is the 3d. I don't personally like 3d and it gives my wife headaches so we aren't going to be getting one anytime soon. Talking to other people they just don't care that it's in 3d or they don't want it in 3d.
    That's why I'll never buy one. I'm not interested in 3D. I saw on the news that people aren't going to 3D movies ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...rey-katzenberg ) like they were a couple years ago. So I guess the 3D fad is getting close to leaving us again.
    Last edited by RPG_Fanatic; 07-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    So I guess the 3D fad is getting close to leaving us again.
    Industry article after industry article seems to indicate it is.

Soccer Moms and Grandparents see the 3DS as nothing more than a DS that plays 3D games. They look at the price and simply move on. Combine that with a bad economy, the explosion of smartphones, hardcore gamers seeing the catalog as mostly shit games and remakes, and you have a failed product. Simple as that. I still think it could rebound...but the 3DS is not Nintendo's future.

Nintendo's fixation with these silly "health concerns" and using them as an excuse for poor sales is unfortunate. Emphasizing and placing blame on the small issue while ignoring the 15 elephants in the room. Very typical Japanese corporate culture.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    So I guess the 3D fad is getting close to leaving us again.
    Sucks for the people who bought new 3D TVs and all the glasses needed to see them. I can't say I'm sad to see it go though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw a 3DS recently at a Target with Nintendogs on it, and at a Best Buy with Dead or Alive. I thought it was actually pretty impressive. I wouldn't mind owning one of those things... Unfortunately, being the cheap bastard that I am, I'm never going to be interested until I can snag it for $150, so no need for me to even concern myself with the 3DS until the price comes way down.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I really don't see 3DS actually failing. The graphics are just amazing for a handheld and if they aren't producing regular DS titles in the future, handheld console gamers will have nowhere else to turn to besides the PS Vita. I would be very surprised if Sony comes out the winner after their performance with PSP and PS3. But who knows. Maybe the 3DS will be their chance to exploit an open spot for a comeback.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Launch day buy here. The 3D doesn't bug me one bit and i've heard more comments about how cool it is, than i've heard comments about how the 3D gives them headaches (not that i've not head those, I have). I've heard 0 comments about the health fears of the system. That 3D sure isn't scaring anyone away from going to movies in 3D, buying 3D enabled cell phones and TV's.

The bigger issue is the 'lack' of games (though there are some good games out) and the price of them. A system at 250 + games that are all running 40 (well there's been one that launched at 29 so far) just makes for a hard sell to the average consumer.

As everything DS goes away (which it's well on the way to doing) it'll change by force, but a game price drop to 29, and a system price drop is the bigger necesicity for the mass viability of the system will change it by the consumer pocketbook.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

People who bitch about the 3ds just haven't played one for very long. Even if you don't want to use the 3d feature, it's still great. (in fact, turning off 3d effectively doubles the vertical resolution, resulting in a very crisp picture. In the case of ocarina of time, the frame rate improves noticeably in 2d mode.) I absolutely love mine, and now that oot 3d is out, I play it more than anything else at the moment. Oot looks arguably better than Peace Walker does on the PSP, and the gyroscopic aiming works great once you figure out how to use it.

I know from experience that games in 2.5-D are just jaw-droppingly cool to look at. (see steel diver and excitebike 3d). This by itself should be good news for the digital press crowd. I have high hopes for cave story 3d...i wouldn't be surprised if it was mind blowing.

And I'm not bothered that a few of the games (zelda, starfox) are just remakes of older nintendo staples. They look bettet than their N64 counterparts, and the gameplay is timeless. Given that this forum is all about people who regularly play old games anyway, I'm surprised more people aren't stoked about this.

The only gripe, which is admittedly a problem, is the crap battery life. For what it's worth, the nyko extended life battery works great and totally corrects the problem.

This portable has everything going for it. Sales will probably pick up when more quality software is available, because it really is a great new platform, with our without the 3d.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was pumped about the 3D...
    The price point and vacuum of software is why I still do not have one. Then again, I'm very for technology and not scared of every damn step in advancement as a step closer to Skynet.

How did Kitsune put it recently? "BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!"
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 07-09-2011 at 05:24 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Put me on the price point band wagon. I'm another cheap bastard who'll probably get a 3DS when the price reaches the $150 point. None of the games really jump out and say "must have".

I wasn't really sold on the 3D either. I think it's a fad and frankly it hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. Plus, I think the picture clarity is sacrificed for this gimmick, both on the 3DS and on movie screens and 3D HDTV sets. I'll pass, thanks.

Anyway, my PSP and DS backlog is so huge, I've got more than enough handheld gaming to go round.
    Last edited by Damaramu; 07-09-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I'm not sure about the health scares .... it's pretty clear that pricing and lack of strong franchise software a launch have been prohibitive for some, but I think that as soon as we see a few new Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, and Zelda titles at retail we'll see the 3DS sales spike.

Special edition or game bundle units will help too.

Interesting that in this generation the 3DS seems to be mimicking Sony's typical hardware retail patterns. (Likely not by design, but due mainly to the creatures of habit that we've all become at retail.)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"